Spyshots: The 2016 Lexus LX Spotted in the Middle East

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Interesting - paddle shifters. It appears to have two 'drive mode' selector knobs. No touch pad - a lot of negative feedback on the device. A lot of control switches on the steering wheel. I wonder if it has a heads up display? Those are some massive screens both center dash and rear seat entertainment. When is the expected arrival date in North America?

Lexus has certainly backed away from the Remote Touch Pad -- that it was missing from the GS F, I could understand, but omitted from the new RX? Back to the drawing board.

Not to beat this point to death, but I don't know what Lexus doesn't just adopt a circular knob interface like everyone else and call it a day. Even better, dual circular knob/touchscreen interface.

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
Having owned two LX570's, I love them cars. Nothing quite like it if you spend some time across borders in neighbouring countries to South Africa. I'm hoping the third row seats stow better than on the previous model, where those took up a lot of boot space.

What I love most about the LX is that the GPS always draws a straight line from where you are to where you want to go, as this thing can drive over anything!

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
It seems that Lexus has made some improvement in terms of protecting the new vehicles in transit --- more white shipping plastic (Rapgard) is seen on the LX as well as the new RX that got shipped to Lexus Canada. See the photo from their Facebook page.

quite interesting... i guess someone removed wheels protection... i have to say though that we generally never had issues with standard protection that was there before, but i am sure on sheer volume on it, things happen... we had cars scrape bottom of the bridge or crash down from the truck but not small minor blemishes from rocks for instance.

rayaans

Fan
Reactions
Interesting - paddle shifters. It appears to have two 'drive mode' selector knobs. No touch pad - a lot of negative feedback on the device. A lot of control switches on the steering wheel. I wonder if it has a heads up display? Those are some massive screens both center dash and rear seat entertainment. When is the expected arrival date in North America?

Lexus has certainly backed away from the Remote Touch Pad -- that it was missing from the GS F, I could understand, but omitted from the new RX? Back to the drawing board.

Not to beat this point to death, but I don't know what Lexus doesn't just adopt a circular knob interface like everyone else and call it a day. Even better, dual circular knob/touchscreen interface.
Because the Remote Touch interface is better to use. I think you're getting confused with the difference between the software and the actual interface. If the software was thoroughly revamped, the remote touch would be a winner - especially since its very ergonomic unlike the round knobs

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions

Because the Remote Touch interface is better to use. I think you're getting confused with the difference between the software and the actual interface. If the software was thoroughly revamped, the remote touch would be a winner - especially since its very ergonomic unlike the round knobs
I have to agree with rayaans. As an owner of both inputs (RX and now NX), the RTI Touchpad's force feedback is the problem for most of us NX owners (as per a poll in another forum). By disabling it, it is much better as it becomes very close to the precision and movement of a laptop touchpad. Perfect no as it is prone to some erratic movements in really hot or cold cabin temperature extremes, but overall it works well. It's the whimsical "Windows 95" interface that needs a serious update.

As for the LX. IMPRESSIVE interior. This is an indicator of the workmanship we can expect in the next LS and possibly better considering it will be a new generation. Only detail that I question (and it may simply be the mediocre quality of the picture) is the piano black (likely backlit) radio/HVAC interface reminding me of the Cadillac's. Not necessarily bad just an observation.

Cadillac-Escalade-Unveiling_142658.jpg

Second, two slots in there? CD and...???
15-07-06-lexus-lx-2016-center-stack-thumb.jpg

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

While I wouldn't say I'm confused, you make a fair point. :) I was thinking primarily about the Display Audio knob in my CT, which I prefer over any other Lexus interface.

Upgrade the software to something more tuned to the Remote Touch interface, and it becomes a completely different conversation.

As an owner of both inputs (RX and now NX), the RTI Touchpad's force feedback is the problem for most of us NX owners (as per a poll in another forum). By disabling it, it is much better as it becomes very close to the precision and movement of a laptop touchpad. Perfect no as it is prone to some erratic movements in really hot or cold cabin temperature extremes, but overall it works well. It's the whimsical "Windows 95" interface that needs a serious update.

Great insight. With the force feedback enabled on the RTI touchpad, it almost feels like my finger is slipping.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
Second, two slots in there? CD and...???

Here's a closer look at the center stack:

lx-center.jpg

The CD slot is actually right at the very top, between the volume/tuning knobs. The two rows below are likely backlit buttons.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
While I wouldn't say I'm confused, you make a fair point. :) I was thinking primarily about the Display Audio knob in my CT, which I prefer over any other Lexus interface.

Upgrade the software to something more tuned to the Remote Touch interface, and it becomes a completely different conversation.

Great insight. With the force feedback enabled on the RTI touchpad, it almost feels like my finger is slipping.

Agree. I find the DAC knob is precise. Each click whether a turn, an x-y axis push, or downward push moves to or engages a selection precisely. No "in betweens" like the RTI touchpad or physical. Have the DAC on my IS (no Nav) and prefer this the best from a control standpoint.