Spy shots on the next BMW 8-series

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Here's a story (and some spy shots) from Motor Authority on the upcoming BMW 8-series. I always thought the last one was one of the most beautiful coupes in the business......and this new one, from my perspective, certainly doesn't disappoint. ;)

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1106180_2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots

BMW is working on a flagship coupe to revive the 8-Series name and today we have our first spy shots of a prototype.

BMW hinted at the model in March when senior executives said the automaker was looking at adding more high-end models. One of these will be the 8-Series. Another will be an i8 Spyder.

The 8-Series looks to feature a low roof and wide, muscular shoulders reminiscent of Aston Martin’s DB9. And just like Aston Martin’s popular grand tourer, the 8-Series will feature four seats arranged in a 2+2 format.

Some readers will recall BMW had started work on a large, coupe-like sedan based on the striking CS concept car of 2007. However, the global financial crisis that erupted that year put an end to the project.

BMW never gave up on the idea of a large coupe, however, and in 2013 we got a taste of a modern successor to the 8-Series with the unveiling of the Gran Lusso Coupe concept. Developed with Pininfarina, the Gran Lusso Coupe marked the start of a partnership between BMW and the Italian design house and is thought to hint at some of the finer design elements of the new 8-Series.

The platform is BMW’s carbon fiber-infused CLAR design that debuted in the 2016 7-Series. It should ensure a low curb weight (for a large, luxurious coupe) as well as compatibility with electrified powertrains. We can also expect the latest in infotainment technology including next-generation gesture control.

Recent BMW trademark filings suggest V-8, V-12, M Performance and dedicated M options for the car. The filings included “850”, “860”, “M850” and “M8.” It's possible the M8 will feature a high-performance hybrid system known as the Power eDrive plug-in hybrid. The system combined a turbocharged inline-4 with a pair of electric motors for a combined 670 horsepower. The V-12 models should feature the same 600-hp twin-turbocharged 6.0-liter engine from the latest M760i xDrive.

Production of the 8-Series will take place at BMW’s main plant in Dingolfing, Germany, most likely starting in 2019. This means we should see the car introduced as a 2020 model. Rivals will be the Lexus LC, Maserati Gran Turismo and Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupe.

To make way for the 8-Series in BMW’s lineup, the slow-selling 6-Series will be phased out. Don’t be too sad because we hear a new 6-Series will eventually arrive, although it will be a much sportier proposition to take on the Jaguar F-Type, Mercedes-AMG GT and of course the Porsche 911.

Eventually, BMW is likely to add an 8-Series Convertible and perhaps even a four-door 8-Series Gran Coupe to its lineup.

bmw-pininfarina-gran-lusso-coupe_100428275_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565425_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565424_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565428_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565423_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565426_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565420_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565427_l.jpg

2020-bmw-8-series-spy-shots--image-via-s-baldauf-sb-medien_100565422_l.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Interesting.

I assume this would be more of an LC competitor than the 6 series... more along the lines of S Class Coupe too. My concern there is that BMW does not do "luxurious" very well at all, IMO. Sporty? Yes. Luxurious? No. This needs to be a luxurious car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Interesting.

I assume this would be more of an LC competitor than the 6 series... more along the lines of S Class Coupe too. My concern there is that BMW does not do "luxurious" very well at all, IMO. Sporty? Yes. Luxurious? No. This needs to be a luxurious car.

Do you remember the last 840/850? In my book, that was certainly a beautiful car, inside and out, and probably walked the fine line between sport-orientation and traditional luxury. BMW knows this new one has to walk in those shoes.

s-l16009.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Do you remember the last 840/850? In my book, that was certainly a beautiful car, inside and out, and probably walked the fine line between sport-orientation and traditional luxury. BMW knows this new one has to walk in those shoes.

s-l16009.jpg

I do indeed, but that was the BMW of 20+ years ago. BMW has been trying to make "sporty luxury" work in the 7 series for three generations now, and they've never really gotten the flagship formula to work like Mercedes has the S Class, or even Lexus has the LS. Not saying they can't do it, but the execution of this car will be interesting to me.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I find the 850 timeless....its just perfect....I wish BMW would go back to sharper creases instead of their softer look....and shorter overhangs...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I find the 850 timeless....its just perfect....I wish BMW would go back to sharper creases instead of their softer look....and shorter overhangs...

The 850 was before Chris Bangle came in and (in the view of many, though not all) started messing things up. It wasn't necessarily the most beautiful coupe of its time (the four-round-headlight 1994-1999 Celica and Audi A5/S5 were also stunning)...but I agree it ranked way up there.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The 850 was before Chris Bangle came in and (in the view of many, though not all) started messing things up. It wasn't necessarily the most beautiful coupe of its time (the four-round-headlight 1994-1999 Celica and Audi A5/S5 were also stunning)...but I agree it ranked way up there.

I agree many of his designs were awkward but he had the courage and vision to showcase BMW's that had similar cues but all didn't look the same. During his era you simply cannot confuse the cars. Today they are easy to confuse.

Clearly both ways worked, sales have always been good. I just really respect Bangle today where in the past I gave him hell like most people.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Very nice. A bit busy in some places, but I can see it flattening out slightly into a really beautiful production version.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I agree many of his designs were awkward but he had the courage and vision to showcase BMW's that had similar cues but all didn't look the same. During his era you simply cannot confuse the cars. Today they are easy to confuse.

Clearly both ways worked, sales have always been good. I just really respect Bangle today where in the past I gave him hell like most people.

My problem with the Bangle cars, though, was more than just I-Drive and Bangle-Butt trunk lids. I thought the build quality also went down from the previous-generation BMW, which were built like tanks. The Bangle cars introduced thinner, lighter sheet metal, glass, hardware, and less-solidly-closing doors.