Spy Shots: Lexus LF-LC Production Prototype Spotted!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Gecko
15-08-05-lexus-lf-lc-prototype-side-400x200.jpg

View the original article post

Geez proportions look EXCELLENT here.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I think it is a given the LC 500 has a naturally aspirated 5.0l V8. But what is the LC 500h?
Most likely a naturally aspirated 4.0l V6 hybrid, but really disappointing, or hopefully a turbocharged V6 hybrid, which would be a first for Toyota combining turbo and hybrid. But even so, the LC F with turbocharged V8 is missing, and no name has been filed.

The LC looks to good to be compromised by an old engine.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The camouflage on this prototype is probably the most straight forward I've seen in a while -- there's definitely some deformation with the roof, but it seems straight to the metal for the most part.

(Also think there's some fake cladding on the rear bumper, but that's a little harder to say for sure.)

Judging from the front shot, there looks to be possible cladding in the lower front area around the spindle grille. Also the hood looks devoid of any character lines or strong surfacing, which is quite different from the concept. So unless Lexus made the front end look much more tame and bland, I would guess there is some subtle cladding possibly on the hood area as well.

The thing is, with the type of camouflage that Toyota/Lexus uses, it's often almost impossible to tell if there really is cladding underneath the camouflage or not.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Judging from the front shot, there looks to be possible cladding in the lower front area around the spindle grille. Also the hood looks devoid of any character lines or strong surfacing, which is quite different from the concept. So unless Lexus made the front end look much more tame and bland, I would guess there is some subtle cladding possibly on the hood area as well.

The thing is, with the type of camouflage that Toyota/Lexus uses, it's often almost impossible to tell if there really is cladding underneath the camouflage or not.

Toyota very much lost the unique contouring lines on the bonnet/hood from windshield to grille, between the LF-LC Concept's 2011 design and final production LC design. All a result of styling and engineering development from 2013 to May 2014. That is what you're seeing unfortunately. The end result of the 2017 LC design, that was frozen circa May 2014 (thank you Alain Uyettenhoven). One knew to expect changes, but I working specifically in this field, I am trying piece together why it lost anything in translation in that area.

The headlights are enclosed as always envisioned, but clearly there needed to be room for access to the 5.0 litre engine (either new unit, TTV8, or revised 2UR-GSE). The concept didn't have a real engine, so it wasn't really a factor. The LFA's bonnet/hood managed to maintain that shape, but not so much for the LC. This is what happens, when the power plant is shared with a massive luxury saloon and requires great width.

From what I remember, much of Edward Lee's approach to designing this in 2010-11, was pretty much production-feasible parameters. I am not sure what happened between his sketches indicative of that and the advanced design work that led to the final LF-LC, as clearly that had to be reverse-engineered again to the rudimentary design, plus further corrections and alterations.

2012_11_05_lexus_lf-lc_gall_10.jpg

Lexus-LFLC.jpg

design5.jpg

2012-lexus-lf-lc-8_1600x0w.jpg

lexus_lc.jpg

If I remember, Lexus and CALTY had this problem way back in 1988-early 1989 with the original Z30 SC400 coupe, later introduced in June of 1991. Designer Erwin Lui, had to have Toyota engineers in Aichi moderately alter his concept during the early months of 1989 to accommodate the 1UZ-FE. Edward Lee seemingly has gone through the same issue in 2013-early 2014, judging by the shot of the front end.

1987-1988 Z30 Quarter Scale Clay at CALTY by Erwin Lui
1987_1988_Lexus_SC_Design_Study_56128_42747_low.jpg

1988 Z30 (SC) 1:1 Clay Concept by Erwin Lui at CALTY
Lexus_SC_Concept_56198_42747_low.jpg

Rear shot of Z30 Concept
80-1996lexussc400conceptcar5_a48bd456fc08a3e07ad70348d328b4ad21b0ac86.jpg

CALTY Design Review of Z30 in 1989
V5-710290303.jpg

1989 Final Design Release of Z30 SC in Fibreglass
1991_Lexus_SC_400_back_56134_42747_low.jpg

Last edited:

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Toyota very much lost the unique contouring lines on the bonnet/hood from windshield to grille, between the LF-LC Concept's 2011 design and final production LC design. All a result of styling and engineering development from 2013 to May 2014. That is what you're seeing unfortunately. The end result of the 2017 LC design, that was frozen circa May 2014 (thank you Alain Uyettenhoven). One knew to expect changes, but I working specifically in this field, I am trying piece together why it lost anything in translation in that area.

The headlights are enclosed as always envisioned, but clearly there needed to be room for access to the 5.0 litre engine (either new unit, TTV8, or revised 2UR-GSE). The concept didn't have a real engine, so it wasn't really a factor. The LFA's bonnet/hood managed to maintain that shape, but not so much for the LC. This is what happens, when the power plant is shared with a massive luxury saloon and requires great width.

From what I remember, much of Edward Lee's approach to designing this in 2010-11, was pretty much production-feasible parameters. I am not sure what happened between his sketches indicative of that and the advanced design work that led to the final LF-LC, as clearly that had to be reverse-engineered again to the rudimentary design, plus further corrections and alterations.

2012_11_05_lexus_lf-lc_gall_10.jpg

Lexus-LFLC.jpg

design5.jpg

2012-lexus-lf-lc-8_1600x0w.jpg

lexus_lc.jpg

If I remember, Lexus and CALTY had this problem way back in 1988-early 1989 with the original Z30 SC400 coupe, later introduced in June of 1991. Designer Erwin Lui, had to have Toyota engineers in Aichi moderately alter his concept during the early months of 1989 to accommodate the 1UZ-FE. Edward Lee seemingly has gone through the same issue in 2013-early 2014, judging by the shot of the front end.

1987-1988 Z30 Quarter Scale Clay at CALTY by Erwin Lui
1987_1988_Lexus_SC_Design_Study_56128_42747_low.jpg

1988 Z30 (SC) 1:1 Clay Concept by Erwin Lui at CALTY
Lexus_SC_Concept_56198_42747_low.jpg

Rear shot of Z30 Concept
80-1996lexussc400conceptcar5_a48bd456fc08a3e07ad70348d328b4ad21b0ac86.jpg

CALTY Design Review of Z30 in 1989
V5-710290303.jpg

1989 Final Design Release of Z30 SC in Fibreglass
1991_Lexus_SC_400_back_56134_42747_low.jpg

I was hoping that not to be the case, but likely you are right.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
The LFA was mid-engine, dry sump, transaxle. Will LC be the same, especially if it is benchmarking 911?

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
The LFA was mid-engine, dry sump, transaxle. Will LC be the same, especially if it is benchmarking 911?

Correction, LFA is actually front-mid engine. Aside from that, we don't know if the LC will have a similar setup, although it's possible.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Lexus uses the ZF 8 speed automatic, if they continue using it, they might then get the ZF 8 speed transaxle that Aston Martin uses. It would benefit the LC.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus uses the ZF 8 speed automatic, if they continue using it, they might then get the ZF 8 speed transaxle that Aston Martin uses. It would benefit the LC.

Just to correct you again, Lexus does not use the ZF 8 speed automatic. Lexus uses the Aisin 8-speed automatic, which was the world's first 8-speed automatic when it debuted on the 2007 LS460. The ZF 8-speed came to market several years later.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Just to correct you again, Lexus does not use the ZF 8 speed automatic. Lexus uses the Aisin 8-speed automatic, which was the world's first 8-speed automatic when it debuted on the 2007 LS460. The ZF 8-speed came to market several years later.

Correct. As I see Aisin has only one transaxle transmission, the one they built for the LFA. Hope they build another one, for performance cars, as all mid-front engine sportscars or GTs have transaxle.

Reactions: CIF

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Those proportions look really good. Headlight shape seems to be fairly similar to the concept, especially in that picture with them turned on. I would love to see this without all of the camo.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Those proportions look really good. Headlight shape seems to be fairly similar to the concept, especially in that picture with them turned on. I would love to see this without all of the camo.

Gotta disagree, I don't like the length of the hood. Looks too short and slopes down too hard. It also looks like the car is extremely high off the ground.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Nice finds...

From what I've been told, the car was shown in production form in the Boston meeting a few weeks ago and the car was praised universally. Many feel it looks even better than the concept.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Gotta disagree, I don't like the length of the hood. Looks too short and slopes down too hard. It also looks like the car is extremely high off the ground.

Those are some of the features that I personally like (the shorter hood/overall length) at least based on these pictures. It does look like it is sitting high in a few of those pictures, but looking at these newer ones just posted the ride height seems like a good one for a gt/everyday use.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I assume the 911 is there as the benchmark and the 6 is there as how the new Lexus should not drive. Not that the 6 is a bad drive but it isn't amazing by any means.