Daniel Guyton

Premium Member
Reactions
It was just in Atlanta with us a little over a week ago. There is an insane amount of engineering and wires in that car/trunk.

Daniel Guyton

Premium Member
Reactions
Looks good! I am assuming that Lexus took the lidar transponder and any other sensors off the roof and integrated them into those fairings on the front and rear bumper cover, the front fender and wing mirrors, and behind the windshield?
When it was here in Atlanta it had the sensors on the roof. Not sure why they're not on this one in the picture. Unless it could be a different mule.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
When it was here in Atlanta it had the sensors on the roof. Not sure why they're not on this one in the picture. Unless it could be a different mule.

My assumption was that Toyota (and its suppliers) was able to miniaturize and reduce the cost of sensors and especially LiDAR transponders (transmitters and receivers) so that Toyota was able to remove the large transponder(s) from on top of the roof and distribute small transponders around the car to take the place of the large, expensive, central ones.

ThePenguin

Follower
Reactions
Horrible picture, but I spotted it in Charlotte, NC on 9/25. I tried to get closer but it scurried away.

48842474913_39fc28b8a8_b.jpg

Reactions
It wasn't surprising that the driver wasn't happy getting photographed, because many companies would love to see the data gathered in the vehicles. The driver either works directly for TRI or is a contractor working for a third party staffing company (which I was).

I did work for an autonomous vehicle company and they're very protective of folks taking pictures of the car if they're trying to maintain a low profile. Usually the outside is fine, but we were told to be mindful of the inside because of the data displayed on the laptop that is attached to the vehicle that run the sensors and what not.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
If i had to guess, the ones without insane rigs are the L2 coming sooner than later, the other ones are the full Chauffeur L4+ ones.

Man, if I could get a L2 Lexus in a year or two, with some kind of EV option, that'd be something.

Also as an aside about those toyota shuttles, the news about some new RV self driving concepts has me imagining a much more mundane Mad Max future, but very very convenient.

Will1991

Reactions
According to this press release, P4 still has the bump on top:

Next year Lexus will offer level 4 SAE autonomy experience

20191024_01_kv_w1920.jpg