Spindle Grille Discussion

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If Lexus was smart they'd offer at least 2 grill styles and let the public decide. Even a slight upcharge would work for us.

We've been looking hard at a 2018 Audi Q7 Premium Plus but the lack of console storage and super small cup holders is a deal killer. Great car, love it but it's the little convenience things that can kill a sale too.

there are two grilles - standard and f-sport.

looks are always subjective... previous designs for LS, RX, LX have been too conservative for me, like old peoples vehicles.

But doesnt Q7 have big grille too? New A8 too:

upload_2017-9-11_0-0-18.png

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I feel like most of the grilles fit the model that they are placed on. However, the craftsmanship on the LS grille may be very impressive, but I feel like it gives off too much of a sporty look on a vehicle that is associated with luxury and elegance. That grille would have been good for the LS F Sport, but not for the regular LS. I feel like a chrome horizontal slat spindle grille would have given a much more regal look to this car.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
I feel like most of the grilles fit the model that they are placed on. However, the craftsmanship on the LS grille may be very impressive, but I feel like it gives off too much of a sporty look on a vehicle that is associated with luxury and elegance. That grille would have been good for the LS F Sport, but not for the regular LS. I feel like a chrome horizontal slat spindle grille would have given a much more regal look to this car.

Yep! Tell that to Lexus.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I took this today while doing a videoshoot... 2017 LX and 2018 Q7 with the sport/black optics package. I love the more aggressive pinch of the Lexus. The Q7 is nice as well but loses me a bit. Contrarily the LX is likely too much for some people.

36522639523_2d744343f7_b.jpg

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
That's really not a bad look but man is the LX pricey! We looked real hard at a Audi Q7, twice, but the appalling lack of console space and tiny drink holders was a deal killer. Audiworld forum posts also contain quite a few groans regarding problems with the car.

Still searching.....

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
The only spindle grille implementation I don't care for is the RX. It's entirely too much for me.

Otherwise, I love it on every other Lexus model.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The only spindle grille implementation I don't care for is the RX. It's entirely too much for me.

Otherwise, I love it on every other Lexus model.

maybe 2019 refresh will bring grille from NX and LX for standard model? Otherwise I prefer F-Sport with more aggressive one, only thing I dislike in RX specifically is back end, especially lights... they need to look more special somehow.

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Personally I don't mind the grille. But some of the headlight design like the pre-facelift IS and new LS500 is questionable IMO.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
btw, did everyone notice how opinion about the grille changes? For instance, 2012 GS was outrageous... in 2017 it looks like bland sedan.
2015 NX looked like alien vehicle... in 2017 it looks normal suv.

RX also looked like crazy and now it is almost bland, especially in dark colors.

On the other hand, Q7 started with some subdued looks and to me looks like bland vehicle, unless you put on some big black wheels like in that photoshoot pic from @mikeavelli

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
btw, did everyone notice how opinion about the grille changes? For instance, 2012 GS was outrageous... in 2017 it looks like bland sedan.
2015 NX looked like alien vehicle... in 2017 it looks normal suv.

The GS is the most shocking to me -- the spindle grille was such a big deal back then, and now I can barely even see the shape. That stretch of Lexus vehicles from the GS to just before the RC, the spindle grilles looked grafted on. They look much more natural now.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The GS is the most shocking to me -- the spindle grille was such a big deal back then, and now I can barely even see the shape. That stretch of Lexus vehicles from the GS to just before the RC, the spindle grilles looked grafted on. They look much more natural now.

i guess before only grille was "shocking" while now rest of the vehicle have somewhat crazy lines :)

mikeavelli

Reactions

This.......

Reactions
How do you take on the question when people criticize the aesthetics of Lexus or specifically the grille or the radical design language?

RAL

Reactions
How do you take on the question when people criticize the aesthetics of Lexus or specifically the grille or the radical design language?

The responses in this post answer your question for the most part ...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
The spindle-grille would not necessarily be a deal-breaker for me (as some of you know, I strongly considered a Lexus ES350 before I got my Lacrosse). However, I'm definitely not a fan of it...though the one on the ES is not quite as large or in-your-face as the one on the latest RX, which is about as subtle as a Halloween mask LOL.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
The more people hate or dislike the grill the more I like it :)

I'm not like that, but with the 5LS we'll have more or less a complete Lexus lineup that was designed after the spindle became a thing and looks, in my opinion, pretty awesome with it. It's the brand identity now, and arguing about it isn't going to change anything. Showing up at LE in 2017 and demanding Lexus stop using the spindle is increasingly like dropping in on BimmerForums (picking a BMW site at random) and demanding a 3-series without the kidney beans.