Spindle Grille Discussion

RSD

Reactions
Anyone dislike the front grill as much as I do?

I have a 2007 460LS and I love it. I would buy another but I can't stand the grill. Hoping change is in the air for next yearvs model. If not, I may look at the new Caddy.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
The front grill is a heavy topic of conversation but I assume that most of us like it here. It adds to the agressiveness of Lexus and it is their future. Hate to see you go to Caddy but if you really don't like the grill then it will probably be an issue for you.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Are you saying that you dislike the front grill design of your LS 460 specifically, or you dislike Lexus' front grill design in general?

RAL

Reactions

I have a 2007 460LS and I love it. I would buy another but I can't stand the grill. Hoping change is in the air for next yearvs model. If not, I may look at the new Caddy.

The LF-FC concept is thought by many to be a good representation of the design of the 2018 LS. According to recent reports, FC can stand for Fuel Cell and/or Flagship Car. So I believe the LF-FC is the concept version of the next LS.

Bodacious grille! ... yes, but I think it is elegant and bold at the same time. Notice the unique fractal character of the grille itself! Even if one doesn't care for the grille design, the car as a whole is stunningly beautiful! I think the interior is the essence of elegant simplicity taken to a whole new level. I hope the look grows on you. Sure wouldn't want to lose you to Cadillac.

15-10-30-lexus-lf-fc-hero.jpg

15-10-30-lexus-lf-fc-rear.jpg

6-Lexus-FCV-LFFC-2000x1100-lex-ffc-cy15-0007.jpg

10-Lexus-FCV-LFFC-2000x1100-lex-ffc-cy15-0009.jpg

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Given the choice between an outdated Escalade-derived Caddy grill versus a modern Lexus spindle grill, I know which one I prefer. But individual preferences of course may vary.

mikeavelli

Reactions

Welcome aboard!

Exterior styling obviously is all about personal preference and I'm the opposite in regards to the new grill. I never hated any past LS in regards to styling but the needle didn't move too much unless it was highly modified. That all changed for me when I saw this pic

2014-Lexus-LS-fsport-exterior-grille-overlay-1204x677-L46674.jpg

For the first time, I was in love with the LS and the exterior styling hit home. Even today I think it's one of the best and more aggressive front ends around.

I will say the Lexus front ends all need a lower frame, especially if its not a F-Sport..thus one of the big reasons I went with the Skipper Design Carbon Fiber front Lip...it helps add balance to the aggressive face

Lexus_LS_CV3R_3f8.jpg

RAL

Reactions
RSD ... I want to echo all the others with what I should have stated earlier ... styling is certainly a matter of personal taste ... and I want to pay all due respect to yours. Best regards

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
And also noteworthy are Mercedes grills with the biggest (star) logo of any premium automaker. And people keep buying C, CLA's, E's like crazy with the sport grill and huge logo (versus the more conservative grills with standup hood ornament).

All of these bodacious Lexus, Mercedes, Audi grills have coincided with higher sales volume, kind of interesting trend...

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Yeah, I got a great deal on an early lease return for my '10 LS because of demand from (according to my sales guy) senior citizens who wanted one without the spindle grille. I lean more towards Mike's reaction: for me, it was love at first "growl".

And I can't quite understand going Caddy to escape it; to me, the very angular body panels on their "Art & Science" cars are something of a spiritual ancestor to the spindle grille.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
IMG_20131211_174722.jpg IMG_20150525_201738.jpg Been there, done that. I'm not going to take a Lexus to Cadillac threat with any credibility.
I had a 2012 IS250 F Sport which I traded for a 2014 IS because I just couldn't be in a last gen car. But the more sedate look and handling didn't take long for me to trade that for a 2015 IS250 F Sport.
I personally love the more aggressive look of the current generation spindle grills, especially the F and F Sport iterations.
Did I like them in the beginning? Not really, because it was new and it was different than what I had before. But given the choice, I'd take the Lexus spindle grill over most anything else out there.
The direct comparison between my 2012 and 2014 was a stark one at first, but I would never go back to what now seems like an old and dated design in lieu of what I have now.
This IS the design language for all Lexus vehicles for this generation. Until the sales figures dictate a need for a change, don't expect it to.
Alternative? Chevrolet Malibu alienating buyers so nauseously that they have redesigned an average of every two years three times over now.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
I will say the Lexus front ends all need a lower frame, especially if its not a F-Sport..thus one of the big reasons I went with the Skipper Design Carbon Fiber front Lip...it helps add balance to the aggressive face

Lexus_LS_CV3R_3f8.jpg

Now that we could live it. Sure tones down that angry Japanese samurai look. Is the Skipper Design Carbon Fiber front Lip an option & if so what models?

I hope no one takes this personally, to each his own, but the new grill just plain looks STUPID. I really don't know any other way to put it. It just doesn't fit with what made Lexus great. Every current or former Lexus owner I've talked in person about the new grill look agrees, they simply don't like it and like me are sticking with their older models. Yes, you'll get a lot of high fives and bromancing in a forum such as this but I'm talking about folks "on Main Street".

And no one ever mentions the cleaning problem, the dry stuck bugs, you're going to have with that massive spindle grill.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Now that we could live it. Sure tones down that angry Japanese samurai look. Is the Skipper Design Carbon Fiber front Lip an option & if so what models?

I hope no one takes this personally, to each his own, but the new grill just plain looks STUPID. I really don't know any other way to put it. It just doesn't fit with what made Lexus great. Every current or former Lexus owner I've talked in person about the new grill look agrees, they simply don't like it and like me are sticking with their older models. Yes, you'll get a lot of high fives and bromancing in a forum such as this but I'm talking about folks "on Main Street".

And no one ever mentions the cleaning problem, the dry stuck bugs, you're going to have with that massive spindle grill.

The Skipper Piece is an aftermarket part I ordered from Japan.

No offense taken, many agree with you they don't like the new Lexus face and/or aggressive styling.