Smychavo rambles on cars and a little on ice cream

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Alot's been on my mind lately since the last time I posted, so I figured instead of hijacking a post on the usual forms, I'd make my own post here to ramble on what I've been lookin at lately, and try to put to rest alot of the recent conversations I've been having with myself and friends about cars, dunno if this place would really appreciate it, but hey, I like to think I found a sense of community here too, so here I go again-

For some time I've been lusting after Lexus' lineup, but every now and then there's always been those other weirder car brands that continue to stand out and appeal to me deeply, Alfa Romeo, Maserati, and surprisingly, Acura, and had gradually pulled me away from what I considered a sorta 'home' choice considering my folks have driven nothing but TMC product save for the occasional RAM truck. Not dissimilar from going to a Ice cream shop, trying a different flavor than what you're typically used to, and then finding that you really enjoy it, potentially more than the favorite. Having the chance to sit in each of these respective brands, gave me a much better sense of what I liked, the perfect seating position and unpretentiousness of controls and layout in an Alfa, the simplicity, and more subdued luxury of the cabins in the current Maser products, and the sharp interior aesthetic, approach to tech, and niceties of the Acuras. Each had a facet of design, inside and out that really made me go, "Wow! I'd love to own one of their products!". Even on deeper inspection there's stories and aspects of their vehicles kept me preferring their flavor of things over what I've been used to in TMC as of late. And I'll admit, it's gotten me to buy merch of em' as a result. šŸ˜…
Though in retrospect, once I had taken enough time to take it all in, something felt, off. I could see myself in em', with enough time and work, commitment, but whether those cars would truly be something I would want to keep, that I could always look out and say 'Hey, that's really cool!', to be real with you, I don't think so. It all felt so, surface level. Once the mystique of the badges, the style, and flair wore off, these cars, as exceptional as they are in the case of the Alfas, novel as are the Masers, and curious as the Acuras are, didn't leave me much in the wake of satisfaction afterwards. In a way, I think I began to see why folks would only keep them for as long as their lease terms, or sell em after awhile. The flavor's nice, but eventually, it's ultimately not the kind you'd want to have all the time, you'll take pause, wonder if there's something else to give a go, and then the cycle repeats. Ultimately, I know I wanted something that I could keep. A badge that signified elegance yet knows exactly how to bring a smile to my face when called upon to do more. Storied in its motorsport and engineering excellence, even if from the outside looking in, it's easy to call em' the stodgy or, safe choice. But I guess that's what favorites flavors are for, right?

It's funny. I spent so much time and effort trying things, researching the alternatives, looking at what else could be out there. All to realize the answer still is, and was always in front of me the whole time. TMC's insane for how many distinct two-doors they have relative to everyone else in the modern market, all of which are imbued with some wildly different personalities, yet despite that were made to fulfill the same purpose, to make the drive fun. And the fact they're still not finished, well, it's easier than ever for me to come back home to em' as my first picks. To anyone that's read through my rambles, thank you. Treat yourself to something nice today, and have fun :>

Last edited:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
While I'm here, have some photos I've taken of some kewl cars while I was out an about figuring all this out7A47BD8C-E19E-4D91-BA5A-781D05A8FAFE.jpeg EF655CC8-F9C8-48D0-AA92-59ED54A86571.jpeg57FBB855-86F8-4B89-B849-5B2A2B2B4467.jpeg6BBD41C8-278C-4A4D-8649-4D63394A366E.jpeg
198d9338-f384-4f9b-a88b-902833ed1832-jpeg.5993

Attachments

• 198D9338-F384-4F9B-A88B-902833ED1832.jpeg
    198D9338-F384-4F9B-A88B-902833ED1832.jpeg
    890.3 KB · Views: 154

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Thanks for sharing. I would say I kinda felt the same, but after seing these pictures... i can also picture myself in one of these hahaha
Trust me, I'm sure these would make anyone else happy for a very long time, I'm just weird lmao, but hey, I'm okay with that :>

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I have to say, with all said and done I can't deny I have that liking for Acura as much as Lexus. They're weird like em', certainly aren't winning the comparison tests most froth at the mouth over, but hey, I liked em' alot when I got in em, just like I did the Lexuses, def another choice I'd be equally happy with. šŸ˜„

Attachments

• FB142B8B-E21A-47FE-908D-236648568259.jpeg
    FB142B8B-E21A-47FE-908D-236648568259.jpeg
    5.1 MB · Views: 3
  • 122C82DB-CF67-4146-9E63-248F7A2D39C2.jpeg
    122C82DB-CF67-4146-9E63-248F7A2D39C2.jpeg
    4.9 MB · Views: 2
  • A7E83F34-191D-4766-87EB-3F2AED3ABE68.jpeg
    A7E83F34-191D-4766-87EB-3F2AED3ABE68.jpeg
    5.2 MB · Views: 3
  • CE01E581-406C-4C69-9A6C-41A7092B455B.jpeg
    CE01E581-406C-4C69-9A6C-41A7092B455B.jpeg
    933.4 KB · Views: 3
  • 8D51DC8B-72D7-4188-A535-7C5FA628C4F6.jpeg
    8D51DC8B-72D7-4188-A535-7C5FA628C4F6.jpeg
    919.3 KB · Views: 3

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Random thoughts again since it's been awhile! Hope folks are handling yourselves well lately. Lately I've been thinking about the kinda tech people like in vehicles, I find myself liking the layouts on Alfas, being well ingrained into the dash, or not outwardly over-the-top as other automakers are. Not to say they're bad, I wouldn't know, but I do like how restrained the design is, not so large touchscreens, and a digital gauge cluster that's thoughtfully laid out and designed. I'm a sucker for the retro digits they've landed on.

That said there's also something to be said with how nice the new Lexus infotainment is, me having sampled it awhile back. It's intuitive, the buttons are huge and easy to tap thanks to the large touchscreen, and beyond that in RZ, NX, I do like how well it's placed and implemented against the dash. RX seems to be shaping up as more of the same. It goes both ways for me and I personally wouldn't know which I'd like more!

On a side note I've also been thinking about tech relative to the driving experience. Drive modes, and so on. I always liked the idea that tech ought to be an extension of the driver's will or ability, being more connected to the machine, and being faster, I suppose. I wonder how well that idea manifests in practice with what's out there, in Lexus an in Alfa. In their sportier models, I wonder how the drive modes and stability systems work to do that, or if they're more of a hinderance in most people's eyes.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Most modern cars won't be drivable if they don't have those tech. They are very heavy, very powerful compared to their predecessors so they are inherently harder to drive. "Tech" makes your daily commute not a death trap.

That's why I said there is no "raw" car in the modern world because we forgot how terrible "raw" cars were.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Most modern cars won't be drivable if they don't have those tech. They are very heavy, very powerful compared to their predecessors so they are inherently harder to drive. "Tech" makes your daily commute not a death trap.

That's why I said there is no "raw" car in the modern world because we forgot how terrible "raw" cars were.
That's quite reasonable now that I think of it. They also seem to do alot in correcting bad moves on the road so it doesn't immediately result in disaster. I figured though, in some enthusiast circles it feels as if these same systems are an inconvenience to them in some way when it comes to wanting to drive faster on say a road course or autocross for that matter. Suppose it's a matter of implementation?
I ask since some motorsport vehicles include a form of traction and/or stability control, say GT3 for example. I wonder how similar those systems are relative to a road car, if at all.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
TCS and ESP in GT racing are so effective that some manufacturers have used what they learned and implemented them even in their most basic cars (Audi and BMW being the best example).

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
TCS and ESP in GT racing are so effective that some manufacturers have used what they learned and implemented them even in their most basic cars (Audi and BMW being the best example).
I wonder what distinguishes em in that case :0

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I recently ate some non-dairy "ice cream", cookies and cream flavor, quite tasty.
Oh really? That's pretty sweet. I've been munching on some chocolate ice cream lately, Mint chip's typically the favorite, but I'm as much a sucker for it as I am with the former.. šŸ˜…

mikeavelli

Reactions
I love Alfas and Masers as they are the last analog luxury brands. We will miss them going forward. Iā€™ve had time recently in a NOVITEC Levante and fell in love with the uniqueness, handling and even the smell of the leather. It actually had carplay lol. In a sea of X5, RX, MDX etc it stands out.

Liking Acura is like saying ā€œI love last placeā€. The NSX is gone so you are talking about the least performing, least luxurious, least technology luxury marque exclusively made in the USA for the USA. Itā€™s literally for people who just canā€™t leave a Honda. Their marketing b.s is just that.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I love Alfas and Masers as they are the last analog luxury brands. We will miss them going forward. Iā€™ve had time recently in a NOVITEC Levante and fell in love with the uniqueness, handling and even the smell of the leather. It actually had carplay lol. In a sea of X5, RX, MDX etc it stands out.

Liking Acura is like saying ā€œI love last placeā€. The NSX is gone so you are talking about the least performing, least luxurious, least technology luxury marque exclusively made in the USA for the USA. Itā€™s literally for people who just canā€™t leave a Honda. Their marketing b.s is just that.
Funny, I've never actually been in a core Honda now that I think of it. Not even an older model. Always been in Toyotas for that matter (and that one time I got to drive a new 7 Series lol). In any case, I think I understand what you mean when you refer it to 'last place'. They don't top measurements charts, review lists, or any sorta mental real estate to the high roller enthusiasts. Yet to me I think the fact it isn't quite as 'good' in the usual sense to people is what drives me to pay attention to it.

It's compromised to it's core. It's platform is unique to it with a better suspension setup than most rivals, yet it's incredibly heavy and not space efficient. The engine block itself comes from pedestrian roots and its tuning is quite conservative, but it's clear how much they did to try and line it up to make it work with its drivetrain to make it handle, and pull well despite having to cope with the weight. Yet a good majority of people I've read on having driven it seem impressed with it. I won't make excuses for how they show it in the ads, I only argue that past that, it's pretty cool for what it is.

Save for the Quad, I do see alot of that in the Giulia too- double wishbone front, multilink rear suspension, rigid chassis, quite heavy weighted all things considered, in spite of other miscellaneous things meant to save weight, for example, it's CF driveshaft. And all in a space that is quite small, though proportionally from the exterior, it's definitely smaller. And for the price range (save for used QVs), its engine is really pedestrian, despite it being high output, and is not the best at fuel efficiency either. All this on a platform devised in a very crunched timeframe. Not to mention, it's interior certainly isn't beating out its rivals either in any initial quality test, great design notwithstanding. Even then, I really love that vehicle anyways. (I'd go on with Maser too but this post is super long already for me rambling šŸ˜…)

All this, to say, what does 'winning' even constitute these days? Besting the vehicle next to you at a stoplight? Being gawked at by strangers? Being perceived as being bigger than life, bigger than oneself? I dunno. I just want a car that makes me happy to look back at, and be in. But I'm particular. It, and the Giulia have been in my headspace for some time now, and I won't be able to shake that off until I've had alot more time in either to really figure out what I'll like more.

Are they the pinnacle of luxury, comfort, and performance? Not at all. Leave that to the S-Classes, Phantoms, Flying Spurs, and Chirons of the world to figure out. Are they fast, or track beasts? No, but I'll say most other vehicles pale in engagement next to more dedicated track setups. In any of these cars it's always been about compromise, and how much you wanna pay to compromise less on a given thing. It's all grey matter in between and suffice to say, most folks have different answers to the question 'What do you like?'. I hope you do understand where I'm coming from here, maybe there's something in all this that you know that I don't.

mikeavelli

Reactions
This is a great thread, I share a lot of sentiment with these thoughts. I find it very difficult to get excited about any new cars, and as I grow older I realize that often less is more. I'd take a mint S2K over any new car.

The S2000 is legendary. Shame they refuse to do anything similar. I love new cars, the new GT3 RS makes me tingle for example and the GR Corolla does too

Och

Admirer
Reactions
The S2000 is legendary. Shame they refuse to do anything similar. I love new cars, the new GT3 RS makes me tingle for example and the GR Corolla does too

Cars like the GT3 RS are way out of my price range, but most mainstream stuff including the entire AMG/M line does nothing for me anymore. Maybe I'm just getting old.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Last week I drove this for a fast 2 hour tour of Oregon coastal dunes. I was designated driver for 4 of us, on a tour led by business ownerā€™s daughter. Even though this seems ā€œback to the basicsā€œ thereā€™s a ton of technology in this rig. Serious fun.

In contrast hereā€™s pic of rig driven in D.R. last year.

The new rig was way more fun and still exhilarating to flog.

I love newer cars too. ā€œBack to the basicsā€ is fun and amusing for short stints.

btw, Iā€™m older than just about everybody here, numerically only, lol.

Attachments

• 23001773-4F12-4BB9-8091-A82A7C851E2F.jpeg
    23001773-4F12-4BB9-8091-A82A7C851E2F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 6
  • DF5B701C-2188-4735-B95C-F054230F8C1A.jpeg
    DF5B701C-2188-4735-B95C-F054230F8C1A.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Last week I drove this for a fast 2 hour tour of Oregon coastal dunes. I was designated driver for 4 of us, on a tour led by business ownerā€™s daughter. Even though this seems ā€œback to the basicsā€œ thereā€™s a ton of technology in this rig. Serious fun.

In contrast hereā€™s pic of rig driven in D.R. last year.

The new rig was way more fun and still exhilarating to flog.

I love newer cars too. ā€œBack to the basicsā€ is fun and amusing for short stints.

btw, Iā€™m older than just about everybody here, numerically only, lol.
I love the novelty and the stories behind older vehicles. In some respects though I loathe the idea of being in some of them by virtue of their comfort. It was said before but most of the rawness of those older cars wasn't particularly in the way we want some of that stuff to boot anywho, so I'm in agreement in its amusement in short stints, and I'm in agreement that I'm a sucker for the new. I want to see them to put their best foot forward under these circumstances and so far I haven't been disappointed lol

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Well, today was fun. Acura performance drive, which was autocross with the Integra, MDX-S, and TLX-S, and my expectations have been exceeded. Absolutely wonderful vehicles, every bit as comfy as they are agile and fun, even with the blasted all seasons on the former. Considering everything, I never imagined them to be as chuck-able given word-of-mouth, and yet here I am, having a grand time with them! They certainly got the refinement in ride and handling, while having a technology implementation that doesn't feel overbearing to me. Seriously a fan of theirs just as I am with Lexus. Suppose there's no harm finding a way to have my cake and eat it too! Haha!
In any case, I know what I'm going with for a first new car now, finally. Integra (or TLX if I can make a good case for it!) now, RC, or heck whatever new coupe Lexus comes out with next. That'll be something for sure. Anyways, ya'll take care out there!

Attachments

• CC9E7239-03E5-4D21-9AC3-CC43A4AA547B.jpeg
    CC9E7239-03E5-4D21-9AC3-CC43A4AA547B.jpeg
    482.6 KB · Views: 4
  • E227D161-03A9-4A2A-8766-79C126FB264F.jpeg
    E227D161-03A9-4A2A-8766-79C126FB264F.jpeg
    417.6 KB · Views: 4
  • 00AA5E54-69C6-488C-9716-C106928AF6DC.jpeg
    00AA5E54-69C6-488C-9716-C106928AF6DC.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • B5087F46-8F2D-413A-A708-3E447F7BBB9A.jpeg
    B5087F46-8F2D-413A-A708-3E447F7BBB9A.jpeg