Should Lexus make a new LS super-flagship?

Should Lexus make a LWB super-flagship above the LS?

• Yes, Lexus should try to fight in the $100k+ segment with a S-Class Maybach equivalent.

Votes: 7 50.0%
  • No-we just need a standard wheelbase LS with proper V8.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • No-the LS-F will top the LS family. Lexus does need the Maybach/AMG dual-flagship strategy.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • No-Sedan is a dead end. Lexus should make a super-flagship SUV.

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
In the past decade the LS600hL has been the de-facto flagship of TMC. Now the obvious piece missing in the LS family is a V8 engine. We know a V8 will eventually arrive, but how much premium is Lexus going to charge us for it?

I'm thinking about several possibilities:
1) Lexus is making a V8-hybrid LS as we speak, but it will only come as an extended wheel base super flagship like the S600 Maybach.
2) The only V8 is the 600hp+ LS-F because Lexus doesn't see a business case for a dual-flagship strategy used by MB. All other models will use at most six cylinders.
3) Lexus will make both flagships, but not offer gasoline-only V8 on regular LS.
4) We will get a LS550 without paying for the premium for extra wheel base or excessive horsepower (best case scenario).

*The third option should be 'Lexus does NOT need a dual-flagship strategy'.

Reactions
If I could vote for more than one. It would be everything except for the last one. Sedans are NOT dead. In the luxury market, sedans still play a big role.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I voted yes. I am loving the recent upmarket move with the LC, new LS, current LX and hopefully LF-1...

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
I voted yes as well. I really think this LS has what it takes to compete on that level. It's by far the most dynamic LS yet, and the design both inside and out capture that so well.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Well, I voted for #4 as the sedan is dead or dying and I would much prefer Lexus bring out something new and radical like the LF 1 than going after the rarified super luxury segment. The LF 1 is unique, trendy in a way any sedan can’t match and aspirational (for me anyway).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
#4 as well - sedans are a rapidly shrinking market, so let's see LF-1.

Also, no matter how good it really was, Lexus would get slaughtered by the auto press for daring to compete with Maybach, even though Maybach is just an overpriced S-Class trim level now. The "Camry with leather" snark would be out in full force, never mind the irony of deploying it to defend an E-Class with leather.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
#4 as well - sedans are a rapidly shrinking market, so let's see LF-1.

Also, no matter how good it really was, Lexus would get slaughtered by the auto press for daring to compete with Maybach, even though Maybach is just an overpriced S-Class trim level now. The "Camry with leather" snark would be out in full force, never mind the irony of deploying it to defend an E-Class with leather.

It's so fascinating that the auto press unanimously praise the Century, but bash on every Lexus in existence. Surely it can't be because of velour and wool? They love the Oriental Rolls Royce because it's JDM and no matter what they write, it's not going to actually threaten the western brands. Should Toyota decide to import the Century into Europe/North America, it will be written as a luxobarge that feels like a century old with no leather, a 'puny' V12, and of course, unusable infotainment.

I don't think the S-Class Maybach is that well-received by the press, they all sort of admit it's just an overpriced S-Class trim that is nowhere near a Rolls-Royce. But MB wanted just that: they saw how poor it went the first time around and figured there are more people who want RR experience without paying RR prices. So far, this strategy works wonders in China. Those joke of a Maybach S400s (served with very prestigious and sophisticated V6), luxury hotel parking lots and high-earning gated communities are filled with them.

Last edited:

amoschen7

Fan
Reactions
In my theory the top power train will be V35A with very strong electric motors. So the can do both LS F and an ultra luxury line the same time. Yea, the market it really small but having a halo car means a lot.