Seventh generation Mercedes Benz S-Class

Rydo

Follower
Reactions

They are going so ridiculously all-in on their own infotainment system...when 90% of people out there now just want Android Auto or Apple CarPlay to handle all that.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I'd call it MBSUX. Who the f*ck cares about in car infotainment? Anyway the most important feature (show on the map where cops are), no one has. It is a car, not a smartphone. Instead of wasting effort on this, let them find a solution for puncture proof tires and blind proof windshields.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
They are going so ridiculously all-in on their own infotainment system...when 90% of people out there now just want Android Auto or Apple CarPlay to handle all that.

Elon won't allow CarPlay/Android Auto, and probably can't, given the lack of non-touchscreen controls. Having CP/AA take over the screen would be bad in a car where the screen controls almost everything. I'm not sure yet if that's a consideration with this S Class or if it's just dedication to copying the Model S.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Elon won't allow CarPlay/Android Auto, and probably can't, given the lack of non-touchscreen controls.

Let Tesla do its thing then, it's not like they are going to even exist in 10-years time once the Germans and Japanese are all in on electric. Who wants a crummy unreliable heap that doesn't have any prestige other than being the first wave of electric cars. Consumers aren't stupid, Tesla have failed promise after promise and the amount of bad press they get is laughable...you wait and see their sales nosedive after VW ID releases...people love that 'German reliability'. Probably no more reliable than the Tesla 😂.

Personally, I just want a car that does CarPlay - that's my maps constantly up to date and with satellite view - something you can only get on high ends vehicle's navigation offerings right now. The Apple Music interface on CarPlay is also perfect now it has album artwork. These are the only two things I want to ever see on my screen anyway...and with a jailbroken iPhone you can even get YouTube playing for passengers!

supra93

Expert
Reactions

Mercedes-S-Class-03.jpg

Mercedes-S-Class-05.jpg

Mercedes-S-Class-07.jpg

Mercedes-S-Class-08.jpg

Mercedes-S-Class-10.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Now that it's out officially, to me, this is like a... B-level execution?

Rear end looks like the CLA and the front/side could be literally any Mercedes sedan over the last 10 years. If Lexus did this, they would be roasted mercilessly. The exterior is wholly unspectacular looking, which is a bit surprising following two generations of fairly bold S-Classes (W222 and W221) that were style forerunners for the rest of the lineup. I can see the shape looking more svelte in person, but from pictures, the car has virtually zero presence or personality. I'm not sure if this was a brilliant move by Mercedes in an effort to not upset what works, or if the car will age poorly and struggle for not looking "new" enough.

Interior? A mixed bag to me. The dash looks gimmicky and like the Las Vegas strip with lights, textures and screens everywhere. The seats and door panels are absolutely beautiful and look very premium, but I really dislike the dash.

Powertrains are awesome, which we've come to expect from Mercedes at this point. After the rumors that the V8 was being dropped, I'm glad to see it in the lineup.

LS definitely has more presence from the outside. Interior is probably a tie to me - I dislike the dash on both, but everything else is nice on each. Mercedes obviously has the upper hand on powertrains.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
I said it in this thread and I will say it again
This Mercedes Benz S class will be a win for
Current S class, 7, A8 and LS !

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Unfair not a mention because it is German. This 'new' S Class looks like an extensive refresh in and out. The S Class is loosing sales to BEVs, and ultra luxury sedans, and most of all to luxury CUVs. A refresh was enough, the S being mostly a business car rather than private purchase. Mercedes is spending more now on the EQS, which is the new S of the future.

mikeavelli

Reactions
To me it is exactly as I would expect. Safe, not offensive outside. The inside is revolutionary truly and I wonder will their older base cater to it.

After seeing the pic Gecko posted it is utterly stunning how the LS changed. Lexus really was brave when you see how safe the new A8/Sclass/G90 etc

I feel the LS was a V-8 away and a bit safer styling/better marketing to being back a home run.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
Now that it's out, I can safely say it is underwhelming. It's not bad looking at all, I really like MB design language - but it's nothing great.

The only thing it has the LS beaten on is of course the powertrain options.

I do agree with the above point though, it's clear MB has pushed more money to EQS, which is shaping up to be the impressive jaw-dropping vehicle.

mikeavelli

Reactions
For the LS, just adding a V8 would have matched the new personality and sportier chassis, and made a lot of the traditional buyers very happy. Crazy it was omitted...still.

True, even in AMG form the Benz is still a comfy cruiser. The LS is shockingly good especially at speed. The LS and 7 series drive really good the harder you go, you realize for such a big vehicle they are quite nimble compared to a S/A8.

Anyway, for whatever reasons, and it could my tastes changing, I like the new S class. I'll away judgement on the interior in person.