qtb007

Follower
Reactions
What I have seen is that the GA-C (Corolla Hatchback, UX) and GA-K (Camry, ES) cargo area load floors are high off the ground. That gives cars on those platforms vey shallow and small cargo areas and trunks (smaller than their competitors is the common complaint of reviewers).

I would like to see if there is any difference between the load floor height of the FWD Corolla Cross (which has a low torsion beam rear suspension) and the AWD Corolla Cross (which has a taller independent rear suspension).
The load floor on my Corolla hatchback is high because it has a spare tire back there. It seems like every small car is dropping the spare tire now. Another thing that killed the Corolla HB space efficiency is the wheelbase. The wheelbase is 2.5" shorter than the sedan. The slope of the hatch seems to start like 10" above the load floor and has a pretty severe slope to the roofline so that further makes things feel small. I think the Corolla sedan wheelbase and having the overhang on the rear not quite as short would have made an enormous difference in where they could have placed the spare and the fuel tank which would have then allowed the cargo floor be a few inches lower which would have really opened up the space efficiency back there. UX has the same short wheelbase of the Corolla HB so it suffers similarly. I like my Corolla HB, but it would have been better received to the US market if it was Americanized. Then again, maybe it doesn't matter. The people that care about space efficiency were probably happy to go get the sedan instead.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
The reason they are killing it must be price/margin. Cars are just too expensive. It has nothing to do with inflation.
Join the club. Mercedes (moreso) and BMW are just about wrapping up their below compact suvs out. Its a race to the bottom, that they don't have the volume to offset costs on.

The idea that a decade ago Germany miraculously believed the 1,2 FWD CUV would bring a ton of cash is finally coming full circle. Lots of good folks left for better pastures for that measure.

Will1991

Reactions
According to BestCar, this new small SUV will be smaller than the Yaris Cross?

"
Demand for compact SUVs is growing in Japan and Europe. Toyota unveiled the AigoCross SUV of a 3,700mm-long A-Seg compact car. It will not be sold in Japan, and like Aigo, it will be sold exclusively in Europe.

In contrast, Lexus, which aims to become a full-lineup SUV, will enter the SUV market with a total length of around 4,000 mm, halfway between Jarriss Ross and Aigocross.
"

Source: https://bestcarweb.jp/news/scoop/381792 (Translated by Google)

I honestly don't see how this can sell... Maybe it's TMC avoiding to kill the UX due to poor packaging?

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
i dont know if there were official pics or not, but during the followup on Lexus EV day, Lexus seemingly confirmed the UX and sub UX crossover.

The only details that are missing is what becomes of their BOF lineup as their short 1 SUV model in the EV day.

Last edited:

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I foresee a new market in Europe, being small electric cars that are NOT cheap/budget but have a cosy/"luxurious" interior. With spaces always made tighter, big electric cars are not he best fit either. Remember the Totota IQ/Aston Martin Cignet, Smart Fortwo Brabus, Fiat/Abarth 500. Such "individual driving pods" will be the step above for those that don't want to depend or simply use public transport. Middle and upper-middle class do not always want a flashy/visibly expensive/truly expensive car for their not special daily commute.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I foresee a new market in Europe, being small electric cars that are NOT cheap/budget but have a cosy/"luxurious" interior. With spaces always made tighter, big electric cars are not he best fit either. Remember the Totota IQ/Aston Martin Cignet, Smart Fortwo Brabus, Fiat/Abarth 500. Such "individual driving pods" will be the step above for those that don't want to depend or simply use public transport. Middle and upper-middle class do not always want a flashy/visibly expensive/truly expensive car for their not special daily commute.
I think the upcoming decade will be super saturated with luxurious paper chasing spec interior and exterior design forms offered below cost in a quest to gain marketshare. Once EV gains the lions marketshare, it'll be a race to normalize and bring back the market to reality.

Will1991

Reactions
First Mag-X render:

image.png

Source: https://mag-x.jp/2022/04/25/20300/

Will1991

Reactions
Agreed, but I don’t think you’re going to miss it…

I’m not seeing the market for a compact premium crossover, and I also don’t think a 1.5L Hybrid car is what Lexus needs right now…

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
Agreed, but I don’t think you’re going to miss it…

I’m not seeing the market for a compact premium crossover, and I also don’t think a 1.5L Hybrid car is what Lexus needs right now…
Yeah, I agree with you there for sure.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Lexus rally homologation would be killer. Pack it with tech and a hybridized version of the rally 3 cylinder.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Screenshot_20220514-190929_Instagram.jpg
My buddy just spotted this in Socal! Screenshotted from his story and posted with permission. Thought it was NX at first but is significantly smaller and boxier and upright! And a shorter rear end.

Or potentially an NX Coupe? Can't tell if it looks like an NX or not but the rear is definitely shorter.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Congrats you discovered the NX EV version NZ. Same wheels as the teaser in the back row.
Even the wheels look similar.

I guess Lexus is playing whack a mole, match column a with column b.
2022-04-20-lexus-podcast-28-850x496.jpg

Kelvin2020

Follower
Reactions
Congrats you discovered the NX EV version NZ. Same wheels as the teaser in the back row.

So the NZ is going to be the sub UX crossover?

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions

It could be the UX.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
It could be the UX.
2021-12-22-lexus-podcast-25-850x496.jpg

It very well could be a UX. My reservations are based on the top left corner in the shadows. The UX looking figure, and then a more coupe looking smaller suv. And some even more speculation, the LX and NX have been quite evolutionary rather then revolutionary, I'd say the design trend continues on these upcoming models.