krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2021-07-25-lexus-yaris-cross.jpg

Lexus could be planning a subcompact crossover to slot under the UX, if reports from Japanese magazine Mag-X are to be believed.
This model would be built on the GA-B platform currently used for the Toyota Yaris Cross, and would likely only be available in the same markets — Europe, Japan, and Australia. The powertrain is said to be the same 1.5L three-cylinder 100 horsepower hybrid engine from the Yaris.
Competitors would include the BMW X1 & Audi Q2, so a move into this segment is not without precedence — Lexus even hinted at such a move with their LF-SA city car concept a few years back.
2021-07-25-lexus-lf-sa-city-car-concept.jpg

Continue reading...

Will1991

Reactions
But, isn't the UX our current offer to go against the X1?

image.png

But even the Q2, seems to have a more usable interior space... And both are smaller than the UX...
Also, 100hp... Even the CT200h have more power...

The UX is "so-so" in almost every aspect... It managed to leave Lexus in a tricky position...

It shouldn't be hard to build a Yaris Cross based Lexus with a more usable interior space layout...
The UX hybrid boot space is already worse than the Yaris Cross...

I keep finding myself struggling with it...

Reactions
But, isn't the UX our current offer to go against the X1?

image.png

But even the Q2, seems to have a more usable interior space... And both are smaller than the UX...
Also, 100hp... Even the CT200h have more power...

The UX is "so-so" in almost every aspect... It managed to leave Lexus in a tricky position...

It shouldn't be hard to build a Yaris Cross based Lexus with a more usable interior space layout...
The UX hybrid boot space is already worse than the Yaris Cross...

I keep finding myself struggling with it...

Exactly. The UX is already going against the X1. It doesn't make sense. Interior space is already bad in the UX. The X1 is much bigger subcompact suv than the UX let alone a Yaris based crossover. I really don't know what the Lexus executives are thinking.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
At the risk of over-generalizing, I am going to say that the new TNGA platform products seem to have bad space efficiency. The TNGA-C and -K platforms (the ones I am familiar with) may be very stiff, and thus great for safety and handling, but are terrible when it comes to interior space, which is especially evident in the trunk/cargo area, which is tiny.

I finally got to drive the current-generation ES over the weekend when I had a 2019 ES 350 loaner, and while the engine was great and it handled better than my 2015 ES 300h, the trunk seemed somewhat small. Without measuring it, I could not honestly say that it was larger than the trunk in my Hybrid (which has the battery behind the seat and over the rear axle, thus cutting significantly into trunk space).

Will1991

Reactions
I try not to compare them to the previous generation, due to safety regulations cars are getting bigger for a while.

This being said, a quick look and it does seem to have less interior space than current competition. Also, it’s not the first time I read about TNGA packaging efficiency around here.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The UX is actually a hatchback but given a X designation. It is the real successor to CT but they just don't admit it.

A proper U"X" should be based on the Corolla Cross or Corolla Touring (Wagon). It's much more space efficient than the C-HR which the UX is based on.
Toyota needs to start over with a more space-efficient platform. That would help the Corolla (Hatchback), the C-HR and the UX.
GA-C and GA-K can be very space-efficient. It's just that C-HR is a style over function product and it worked in every main market it's sold.

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Makes sense overseas. I highly doubt USA is asking for this.
I agree. I will go as far as to say that the US is hardly a really good market for the UX, let alone an even smaller model. While US consumers like even small CUVs, the UX doesn’t really have that CUV vibe, unlike much of its competition, including Audi and BMW. Even the smallest Audi CUV models and the BMW X1 look like CUVs, albeit very short, almost boot-like CUVs. The UX looks like a compact hatchback trying to look like a larger vehicle.

Personally, I prefer the UX’s design over many of its competitors, but it’s not jiving with US tastes. As others have stated, lack of usable interior space does not help the UX.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Is the UX about the same size as the Macan? Or is the cargo space in the Macan more useable?

If Toyota makes a CUV that is about as big as the Macan, look much better than the Corolla Cross, and drive 70% of a Macan, I'd be sold.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Is the UX about the same size as the Macan? Or is the cargo space in the Macan more useable?

If Toyota makes a CUV that is about as big as the Macan, look much better than the Corolla Cross, and drive 70% of a Macan, I'd be sold.

Macan is two sizes larger than UX, it is similar in size to RAV4.

As to UX, in markets where smaller vehicles are appreciated, it sells really well. I can see BX doing good too.

internalaudit

Expert
Reactions
Macan is two sizes larger than UX, it is similar in size to RAV4.

As to UX, in markets where smaller vehicles are appreciated, it sells really well. I can see BX doing good too.
Thanks. We have a 16 RAV4H and the cargo space is big enough to take to local camping and weekend trips. The Macan's cargo area look at lot smaller.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I agree, a Corolla Cross based Lexus CUV would be more popular than something smaller.

This is a really great idea. Lexus USA could do well with a sub-NX crossover based on the Corolla Cross as well as a NX-sized GX-like off-roader. UX is too small, too low and too style-first for this market which wants things that look visually like SUVs instead of wagons.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Thanks. We have a 16 RAV4H and the cargo space is big enough to take to local camping and weekend trips. The Macan's cargo area look at lot smaller.

Yeah it is... it is luxury vehicle, main idea is not space.

Just like NX has a lot less space than Rav4

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
GA-C and GA-K can be very space-efficient. It's just that C-HR is a style over function product and it worked in every main market it's sold.
What I have seen is that the GA-C (Corolla Hatchback, UX) and GA-K (Camry, ES) cargo area load floors are high off the ground. That gives cars on those platforms vey shallow and small cargo areas and trunks (smaller than their competitors is the common complaint of reviewers).

I would like to see if there is any difference between the load floor height of the FWD Corolla Cross (which has a low torsion beam rear suspension) and the AWD Corolla Cross (which has a taller independent rear suspension).