Reviews & News: The Lexus LC 500

mikeavelli

Reactions
Have you compared it to a pre 21 with performance package?

I think yours is a touring without it right?
Yeah and I know on paper the changes seem small but I just feel the 2021 is a much better car even on run flats. Correct, I have a modified touring,

Motor

Expert
Reactions
No doubt, but this’ll remain a niche choice. Lexus sold 82 LCs in the UK in 2020, though it’s shifted around 20,000 globally since 2017, three quarters of which are the loud, gargly V8.

It also seems entirely fair to assume the car that replaces the LC won’t have such a joyously traditional powerplant on its options list. Much as it’s becoming a cliché at the end of performance car reviews, this really is one to enjoy while you still can. One suspects a future update won’t quite be so geeky or subtle.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
Still definitely my dream car. Totally understand that there are faster, more practical options out there, but that styling inside and out coupled with that marvelous V8 just win me over something like the F-Type (or heck, even the Supra and that's 40k cheaper supposedly) any day of the week. I'd try just about anything to fit that car into my life

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Still definitely my dream car. Totally understand that there are faster, more practical options out there, but that styling inside and out coupled with that marvelous V8 just win me over something like the F-Type (or heck, even the Supra and that's 40k cheaper supposedly) any day of the week. I'd try just about anything to fit that car into my life
With Tesla S Plaid, every car including every exotic feels slow. at this point why compete. just cater to your senses, if you want speed, Tesla is the answer. if you want agility, you just can't beat a Lotus or Alpine. it is really easy now.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
With Tesla S Plaid, every car including every exotic feels slow. at this point why compete. just cater to your senses, if you want speed, Tesla is the answer. if you want agility, you just can't beat a Lotus or Alpine. it is really easy now.
Some guy mentioned in the comments how the E63, M850i, and 992 practically invalidates this car but I hard disagree on that. There is a certain theatre that the LC has be it styling and its engine note that has it truly stand out amongst the crowd. Even then what use is there for all that power of those aforementioned if you'll get a ticket anyways? lol Least getting up to speed in the LC sounds incredible than the alternatives and doesn't go by in an instant

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
I just bought one of these things on a bit of an impulse. I don’t think people really decide on these cars the way people on the internet reading spec sheets and fantasizing about being a potential buyer think they do.

A lot written above is such an oversimplification of the car and the segment I am not sure where to begin.

This is a segment that caters to personal taste. Most owners of these cars are rarely if ever pushing these cars to their limits in any consistent way. The purchase decision process, at least from what I’ve, pretty much entirely emotional aside from financial considerations which I assume were considered prior to looking at the car.

First off, let’s be real nobody knows what a lotus or alpine is, aside from hardcore enthusiasts. And of the few that can afford one of those, it’s probably a tertiary vehicle, because nobody wants to live with compromise if they can avoid it.

Beyond that, Positioning, experience and image are everything. The actual offering is just there to backfill the emotional decision to buy these cars. It’s all driven by the buyers they’re targeting and how you drive that emotional experience and decision to spend that money.

911s have a particular value proposition, and it’s different than a mclaren, and it spans a lot of targeted offerings to hit specific types of buyers, for example. Do you want a hardcore stripped out race variant 911 because you spend too much time with other dudes who love 911s and now you post pics on a forum and have the exact spec under your profile? Do you want the fast but more reasonable daily driver? Do you want the fully loaded fastest Turbo, or an NA engine?

The LC is it’s own beast as well, as is the 8 Series, or a continental coupe, or an Aston Martin. These are ecosystems, where buyers are getting benefits on the “inside” (the car, the service) and on the “outside” (signalling, social positioning, quality of life, the intangibles).

Theres a more particular thing that drives these sales, that I don’t want to go too far into it, but that one really comes down to regional and sector specific legacies of money and influence, and brands and vehicles people associate with success as they are on their own “come up”. Eg buy a car from a make that the big boss type/family in your life had as you were really coming into success.

I think to some extent the modern affordable retro vehicle trend is a way to capitalize on that across a broader audience given wealth trends, but with mass production compromises in the design that separates it from true modern reimaginings of vehicles like the E type which can be unattainable for most people.

I think a true rethinking of auto making with all the legacy inefficiencies is in the cards, but that’s a whole different discussion.

Smychavo

Follower
Reactions
I just bought one of these things on a bit of an impulse. I don’t think people really decide on these cars the way people on the internet reading spec sheets and fantasizing about being a potential buyer think they do.

A lot written above is such an oversimplification of the car and the segment I am not sure where to begin.

This is a segment that caters to personal taste. Most owners of these cars are rarely if ever pushing these cars to their limits in any consistent way. The purchase decision process, at least from what I’ve, pretty much entirely emotional aside from financial considerations which I assume were considered prior to looking at the car.

First off, let’s be real nobody knows what a lotus or alpine is, aside from hardcore enthusiasts. And of the few that can afford one of those, it’s probably a tertiary vehicle, because nobody wants to live with compromise if they can avoid it.

Beyond that, Positioning, experience and image are everything. The actual offering is just there to backfill the emotional decision to buy these cars. It’s all driven by the buyers they’re targeting and how you drive that emotional experience and decision to spend that money.

911s have a particular value proposition, and it’s different than a mclaren, and it spans a lot of targeted offerings to hit specific types of buyers, for example. Do you want a hardcore stripped out race variant 911 because you spend too much time with other dudes who love 911s and now you post pics on a forum and have the exact spec under your profile? Do you want the fast but more reasonable daily driver? Do you want the fully loaded fastest Turbo, or an NA engine?

The LC is it’s own beast as well, as is the 8 Series, or a continental coupe, or an Aston Martin. These are ecosystems, where buyers are getting benefits on the “inside” (the car, the service) and on the “outside” (signalling, social positioning, quality of life, the intangibles).

Theres a more particular thing that drives these sales, that I don’t want to go too far into it, but that one really comes down to regional and sector specific legacies of money and influence, and brands and vehicles people associate with success as they are on their own “come up”. Eg buy a car from a make that the big boss type/family in your life had as you were really coming into success.

I think to some extent the modern affordable retro vehicle trend is a way to capitalize on that across a broader audience given wealth trends, but with mass production compromises in the design that separates it from true modern reimaginings of vehicles like the E type which can be unattainable for most people.

I think a true rethinking of auto making with all the legacy inefficiencies is in the cards, but that’s a whole different discussion.
That's a very fascinating insight. I've never particularly thought of that side of things, but, I imagine that's more to do with the fact that I'm definitely not the demographic that can afford these products with ease just yet.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions

I love the idea of 99% of people launching in a Huracan and being able to tell you with any accuracy how much slower than a Tesla S in a straight line it is.

This whole thing is spec sheeting gone mad.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I love the idea of 99% of people launching in a Huracan and being able to tell you with any accuracy how much slower than a Tesla S in a straight line it is.

most people who read specs sheets like that dont buy cars.

So what did you get, exactly?

LC is out of the world design for me, inside and out. People came to appreciate SC much later in its life (or out of production), but LC was spot on, that interior is simply amazing.

Levi

Expert
Reactions

I am do not agree with what I said, in the sense that spec is not that (if it is) important for me. What I am saying is that someone saying LC is slow, M8 is faster, so LC is bad, is a week argument, because by the same comparison, M8 is slow, Tesla Plaid is faster, so M8 is bad.

While many spec sheet readers are not buyers, many buyers buy to impress others/or signal something to others, so they will buy what the those other can understand or approve. But this is not car related only, it is human nature.

Congrats on the LC.