Report: Lexus Three Row Crossover Still in Development

Reactions
The basic problem, though, is that, unless you are going to use the 3-row seat for more than just small children or packages, it's hard to get 7 full-grown or American-sized adults to fit into something smaller than a mid-size SUV without looking like a bag of pretzels inside. That's even more the case now that a number of SUVs have given up on the traditional boxy space-efficient styling. It's not necessarily impossible to do with newer designs, but was generally easier with traditional squared-off styling.
All true facts...I dont like German engineering so i stay away from all those options (which are a lot). Love Lexus but its time to move on from my 09 GX and get the next Lexus. The real question now is if they will completely update the GX again (and ill wait for it if its very soon) or look for other options.

Reactions: RAL

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
don't know i interpreted Akio words differently
he want to say

LS / LC / LX
GS / GC / GX
IS / IC / IX

with NX to be named IX , and RC to be named IC
ES or Avalon one of them will die and he surely said ES
CT maybe only 1 generation

RAL

Reactions
he want to say

LS / LC / LX
GS / GC / GX
IS / IC / IX

This would be a nice compartmentalized ... tidy pyramid, but I can't see Lexus (Akio) killing its biggest cash cows (ES & RX) any time soon ... for the sake of this nice tidy formula.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
he want to say

LS / LC / LX
GS / GC / GX
IS / IC / IX

While I tend to like a more consistent naming structure like what you have laid out, there are a few things to consider:

GC is the common abbreviation for Grand Cherokee and quite frankly, doesn't sound very fitting for a midsize coupe. IC sounds too much like "I see" or "icey." The RC is not a GS or IS coupe, but meant to serve as a middle-of-the-road solution for a Lexus midsize coupe.

IX is already owned by Hyundai.

ES nor Avalon are going anywhere anytime soon. ES is Lexus' second best selling model and the Avalon is Toyota's flagship sedan that's currently going through the best selling generation of it's existence.

CT is one of Lexus most successful products in Europe, and has actually been quite successful here in America as well. It's not going anywhere.

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
1 by 1

*RC now have a bad reputation on even if it's powerful but it's heavy and this is continue with the RC-F carbon , that's all due to the main design as it was firstly designed as a coupe and also as firstly Lexus want it to be in the middle , neither GS coupe , nor IS coupe and with the next generation it's safe to have a unique design for every one both the GS & IS

*NX yes Hyundai owning the IX but it's numbering is different , and even the naming is only at Europe , IX35 is a Tuscon. in case of IX with lexus the numbering after will be the engine size IX 300h , IX 200t

*GC yes it's common abb. but not a legal usage , we all and i am one of the people always say LC for the Land Cruiser , so i think now there will be a real LC, and people will use on it by time, yes i know that you may say Lexus & Toyota same corp, not like Grand Cherokee which is FCA

*CT yes one of the best , but honestly the 3rd best maybe especially after the NX introduction the 2nd and 3rd in Europe is IS & GS , maybe the RC will replace the GS as the top 3rd from the next year

*ES Akio just say Lexus is not about practicality , that's why i said this, and he also said if you need practical go to Toyota as what is been written, he is so keen to re-introduce Lexus as a real competitor to the European and also have a high low price than all of them, and caring only about agility , performance and design , of-course with the amazing smoothness , the top notch tech and the superior building quality

another clue on this , by next year you will have the full L aka (LS, LC & LX) , and already the G have 2 now (GS & GX), and maybe the next GX may turn to be the RWD CUV we always want to go with the likes of Q7, X5, MDX

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
This is certainly very interesting news to say the least, and is not something North American Lexus dealers want to hear.

However, I think there are two main things to consider here:

1.) Akio Toyoda has a specific vision for the Lexus brand, and that simply may not be in line with what some North American dealers want.

2.) Akio Toyoda could very well be acting very coy with his words here. It's possible that Lexus is working on, and is planning to release in the near future a full-size, 3-row crossover model that fits with the brand's future direction and styling. It could simply be that Akio Toyoda wants to temper expectations, and if/when such a model were to come out, there would be more genuine delight and surprise, as it would not be as expected.

Those are my thoughts on this.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-11-30-lexus-rx-seven-row-crossover-400x200.jpg

Development of the Lexus seven-seat crossover has not been put on hold, according to RX project manager Makoto Tanaka.
View the original article post

Reactions
Maybe the GX can be the the model that underpins the Land Cruiser and the LX becomes the big 3 row cross over that can compete with the GLS and escalade.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I just don't see how a 3rd row works in the RX as it is styled currently. And the Highlander 3rd row is for babies, there is no leg room. I have to admit the JX35/QX60 has a very impressive 3rd row but the rest of the vehicle is from the 1990s.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yeah, I had suspected Akio Toyoda's comments were likely not literal, but maybe more symbolic or metaphorical. Also makes sense that RX mule is confirmed not to be the 3rd-row model.