Report: All-New Lexus RX will not be Offered as Three-Row Crossover

RAL

Reactions
The most likely answer to that is that the demand is for a 3rd-row crossover, unibody SUV. The GX is truck-based......and generally drives like it.
My sister and a friend each have the GX and rave about them ... I've driven them ... they are not truck-like IMO ...
Still I understand the desire for a crossover. Meanwhile, with the GX and LX, I hope Lexus takes all the time needed to do an all-new TX(?) to their high standards ... like they always do ... a la NX and LS!

Tinhinnh

Follower
Reactions
I do wonder is there room for a 3rd row SUV in the Lexus line-up? We already have an NX now a new RX then GX then LX. I mean BMW only has the X5 for a third row. Audi just has the Q7. MB just has the GL. Lexus already has two models with a third row wouldn't a third just kind of be overkill? Just a thought.
We don't know how long the GX/LX will stay around so having an all new 3row suv to repace them in the near future is a good idea.

Lexus Cohen

Follower
Reactions
I do wonder is there room for a 3rd row SUV in the Lexus line-up? We already have an NX now a new RX then GX then LX. I mean BMW only has the X5 for a third row. Audi just has the Q7. MB just has the GL. Lexus already has two models with a third row wouldn't a third just kind of be overkill? Just a thought.
We don't know how long the GX/LX will stay around so having an all new 3row suv to repace them in the near future is a good idea.
I know the LX is definitely here to stay, the GX on the other I'm not sure what they intend to do with it. It was said that even with low sales volume (pre- spindle grille) the GX is highly profitable, so I'm kinda confused.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Again to me not sure why a SUV has to be discontinued for a new one to arrive. Growth is with SUVs. Why not offer the GX and. 3 row RX? They surely will appeal to different people.

No different than the IS and ES at the same price aimed at different people.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My sister and a friend each have the GX and rave about them ... I've driven them ... they are not truck-like IMO ...

I wasn't necessarily referring to bouncy-truck-like in the sense of an older 4Runner or Tacoma/Tundra. But, in my experience test-driving the GX, it was noticeably different from the RX, and, IMO, did not quite have the RX's refinement. You could tell the difference on the road. But, then, again, I've aways liked the way that the RX drives, so my view of the GX might have been a little biased.

Still I understand the desire for a crossover.

There's still a market, though (albeit a smaller one than in the past) for SUVs that can carry and tow a good-size load. Unibody SUVs, with the latest engineering, are admittedly catching up, but body-on-frame SUVs, in general, still have somewhat of an advantage in that department.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Again to me not sure why a SUV has to be discontinued for a new one to arrive. Growth is with SUVs. Why not offer the GX and. 3 row RX? They surely will appeal to different people.

Mark Templin, Lexus Executive VP, at least [partially] addressed that issue at the NY Auto Show, suggesting that tightening American and worldwide regulations on SUVs are playing a role. (I hope this is not a repost)

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/04/02/l...ain-exclusive/

Michael Austin

With the debut of an all-new RX, Lexus is in a position for continued strong sales in the luxury SUV arena. The fourth-generation RX has grown, making room for the new NX model beneath it. But further up the ladder, things could change for the GX and LX.

In an interview with Autoblog at the 2015 New York Auto Show, Lexus executive vice president Mark Templin gave some hints at the future of his brand's SUV lineup. "With NX and RX, we have a really good one-two punch in the crossover segments, and we think we can cover most of the markets with that," he said.

As for the larger, three-row GX and LX models, which are built on a traditional ladder-frame chassis, things aren't so clear. Templin noted the the success of both models all over the world – the LX is the best-selling Lexus in Saudi Arabia. The same is true for sales here, he said: "We do very well with those products in the United States – GX has been a great product for us in the US for the last couple of years since its initial introduction. But the future of those vehicles longer term is in doubt because of regulations that are being driven by governments all over the world."

Don't start stockpiling LX 570s in anticipation of shortages just yet. Templin didn't give any specifics; he just notes that tightening fuel economy and emissions regulations could affect product planning. In our analysis, if and when GX rides off into the sunset, Lexus still needs a midsize, three-row SUV to fill that gap. The most likely candidate for that is some variation on the RX.

Whether or not that's the case, don't expect a BMW-like proliferation of body styles from Toyota's luxury division. "It creates problems. It creates complexity, that's hard for every step of the process," Templin said, nothing that too many models stresses the design department, manufacturing, and even dealers inventory selection.

As for the bottom end of the lineup, Templin wouldn't comment on a compact SUV below the NX, saying "I think there are more potential options for us in the future, but we're not trying to grow the number of models we have in our lineup. It's not really what our core business is about." For now, Lexus and Templin are focused on launching the RX, which accounts for three of every 10 Lexus models ever sold. The 2016 model, available in RX 350 and RX 450h hybrid versions, goes on sale by the end of the year.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
To me is Lexus falling behind its competitors a little bit when it comes to hybrid and electric engines. It has the most experience with it but it has not introduced any significant change to it in last decade. Today (9/14) was released E vision model from Porche which is fully electric with 440kw with 500km range.
I dont whether I am not getting enough information but I hope I am wrong pretty soon.