RC-F love it or hate it?

Love it or Hate it?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
So I was just looking at the photo Kevin took of the RC-F, shared on the front page. Great photo Kevin but I would go easy on the black and white. :)

I don't know ... I just can't seem to love it (the car, not the photo). I'm trying to like it but it looks short, vents in all the wrong places, wheels are too small, it's different but not something I would pay to own.

It almost seems like Lexus is trying hard to please everyone or create some type of emotional love for their cars but it's a hit and miss. They still haven't built a car, since the LFA, that made the crowd go wild.

The reason why I'd buy a Lexus is reliability. Every other contender checks the right boxes in almost every other area.

I'm sure some of you will disagree so let's hear it. :)

I've added a poll and it will close after 3 months to allow the non-founders a chance to vote (if they're in by then).

15-02-02-lexus-rc-f-kevin-uy.jpg

LexusTechSA

Founding Member
Reactions
Have you seen it in person yet? You can't always judge a car by its photos.

Reactions: RAL

moky

Founding Member
Reactions
the RCF is a very different lexus from what you would expect them to produce. Just imagine probably back in the 90s when the SC300/400 were released, it probably polarized a lot of people in views because Lexus was the new contender to the luxury market.

plenty of cars have vents which make people go "why there??" but from an engineering perspective, it probably would be to add or reduce drag or aerodynamics?
and it is not short when in person too :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions

I agree - car looks a little more "in your face" in pics than it really appears in person. In the flesh/metal, it's certainly aggressive, but a tad more subdued. I think it's wonderful :)

RAL

Reactions
I just wish I could afford it! See it in real life and drive it. Color makes a big difference too. Wish they offered it in atomic silver! This car is meant to appeal to the vast majority of drivers who want the fun of driving it everyday . . . and don't particularly frequent the track much on weekends . . . though they could.

I admit, I pitched a fit when the RC was revealed. I thought it was a cheap looking version of the LF-CC. I still don't care for the RC's grille and phony plastic rear vents.

But I have come full circle with the RC F-Sport/RC F. And the sweet music of the growl of that engine! Watch the video of Alex Wurz driving the car which appears on this site on Jan. 25. IMHO it's the best portrayal of this car yet. (Pardon me guys . . . I'm luvin this forum and I have a tendency to get too wordy . . . :rolleyes: )

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I admit, I pitched a fit when the RC was revealed. I thought it was a cheap looking version of the LF-CC. I still don't care for the RC's grille and phony plastic rear vents.

I don't quite get the front grille of the standard RC -- it's a very curious design.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm kind of ambivalent. It looks ok, but seems big and is for sure heavy. I don't know how much the public is loving it either. January sales in the US were less than any other car other than the LS. My local dealer says sales have been low too. I think non-enthusiasts may think it is a two door IS and are consequently confused and disappointed.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm kind of ambivalent. It looks ok, but seems big and is for sure heavy. I don't know how much the public is loving it either. January sales in the US were less than any other car other than the LS. My local dealer says sales have been low too. I think non-enthusiasts may think it is a two door IS and are consequently confused and disappointed.

Sorry, I was thinking more of the RC and got off- topic.

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions

I've seen the RC in person with the L shaped headlights. I was like hmmm ... ok. It's not a car that slapping on a bunch of things here and there will make it much better.

I think Lexus should make sleepers. Not much to distinguish the two from the side or the front until you hear the roar. A wolf dressed in sheep clothing. Adding all this plastic all over to make it look more aggressive is just cheap.

RAL

Reactions
I don't quite get the front grille of the standard RC -- it's a very curious design.

The grille of the LC-C2 roadster seems to me to be a much better iteration of the design of the RC grille.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I literally just drove another one 30 minutes ago as Kdot_vossen, founder of the @lexusboys just picked one up. Yes the grill is polarizing but this car cannot be mistaken for anything else. And it drives amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_8486.jpeg
    IMG_8486.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8489.jpeg
    IMG_8489.jpeg
    730.3 KB · Views: 10

ACEtheOG

Founding Member
Reactions
I've felt a roller coaster of emotions with the RC. I was very excited leading up to the unveiling despite the fact it was going to be a coupe and was likely to replace the IS-F. I really wanted to like it but I just couldn't - when I first saw the RC-F via the unveiling and in press photos I thought it looked awful. Lexus piqued my interest again when they announced what was powering the beast, then curbed my enthusiasm when they announced the weight. Adding all that extra weight so that it could be a convertible was a terrible decision. Despite the weight, it has been lapping quicker than the M3/4 twins, but imagine what could have been... I've been lucky enough to really examine one up close at the dealer and it really does look good in person (colour choice makes a huge difference - the orange they decided to use in the marketing materials IMO is terrible). The car is stunning in obsidian and NGP. Still waiting for the dealer to bring in a USB.

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions
I love the RC F but there are some parts of it I wish weren't just carried over. It would have been nice to have at least one exclusive color saved for RC F. Solar Flare should have been it.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I've been lucky enough to really examine one up close at the dealer and it really does look good in person (colour choice makes a huge difference - the orange they decided to use in the marketing materials IMO is terrible). The car is stunning in obsidian and NGP. Still waiting for the dealer to bring in a USB.

Have to say, Lexus vehicles can really struggle in photographs but almost always look good in person. I'm also not a big fan of any launch color they've used in recent years -- using Ultrasonic Blue on the GS F feels like a mistake as well.

Reactions: RAL

moky

Founding Member
Reactions
Have to say, Lexus vehicles can really struggle in photographs but almost always look good in person. I'm also not a big fan of any launch color they've used in recent years -- using Ultrasonic Blue on the GS F feels like a mistake as well.
Or it could also be vice versa, looks okay in photographs, weird in person. Case in point the GX. The protruding spindle grille almost makes it look like a croc's snout from a 3/4ths and 5/6ths perspective

Kuregu

Founding Member
Reactions
As a new owner of an RC F in Nebula Gray Pearl I have to agree with Kevin here; I took tons of pictures on delivery day but no matter what angle or perspective I took the photos from, the car didn't look as great in the photos as it did in real life.

Out of all the professional photos I've seen, I think the car comes out best in Ultra White.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
As a new owner of an RC F in Nebula Gray Pearl I have to agree with Kevin here; I took tons of pictures on delivery day but no matter what angle or perspective I took the photos from, the car didn't look as great in the photos as it did in real life.

Out of all the professional photos I've seen, I think the car comes out best in Ultra White.

Ultra White is definitely my pick for best looking in photos, particularly with the carbon fiber roof:

IMG_8262.jpg

Ultrasonic Blue is another color that suits the RC F -- never been a fan of the orange.

P.S. @Kuregu -- I just put in a Photography Forum in the General Discussion area for you to post some photos of your new RC F. :)

Kuregu

Founding Member
Reactions
Ultra White is definitely my pick for best looking in photos, particularly with the carbon fiber roof:

View attachment 32

Ultrasonic Blue is another color that suits the RC F -- never been a fan of the orange.

P.S. @Kuregu -- I just put in a Photography Forum in the General Discussion area for you to post some photos of your new RC F. :)
Thanks, Kevin. Need to find a decent background to take some more photos this weekend.

And the Ultra White with carbon package is simply stunning...

flipside909

Premium Member
Reactions

Agreed. RC F and GS F should have been launched with special colors not shared with their lower F SPORT counterparts.