R&T- It's Time to Face the Facts: We Aren't BMW's Target Market Anymore

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
I do think there is some design cues that are good and can be taken further, it's just the whole thing as a whole is horrendous.

There headlight to grille integration is good, hofmeister kink, sharp flared fenders with clean body surfacing.. just the trying to maximize the EV platform for practicality completely ruins the proportions.

Said this in another forum, but impracticality for the sake of style is a luxury. They should absolutely push the dash to axle to maintain the RWD looks of older cars. Otherwise every EV platformed car will be the same round or squared blob with a massive middle area.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Sony-6673.jpg

903199986.jpg

02_Inform-6.jpg

122909998-1.jpg

What makes this even more insulting is the lincoln was a really bad update from the ford fusion.

mikeavelli

Reactions
There was a base model BMW 2 series “gran coupe” next to the Fuji and it looks like an old ass Kia Forte. I know who drives it and they could care less about cars. Hence the point of the article.

Obviously have seen them many times and they are ghastly.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I walked by the bmw booth at petit le mans with 5 friends and every single one almost puked and said “why are they all so ugly”. Thenew 5 series and it is absolutely awful. And the grill is like a plastic shield with a grill in the grill. The small c pillar makes it seem cheap. The entire design is bad. It absolutely horrendous.

My personal opinion. I have zero desire to own any where 20 years ago I wanted them all.

Wild

IMG_2797.jpeg

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
The new 5 Series is atrocious. Gone is the understated, classy, yet slightly sporty look of all the past 5ers.

Reactions
For me the "good" ones one sale are:
  • BMW M5 Sedan F90
  • BMW M340d Touring G20
  • Toyota GR Supra J29 (with B58 of course)
This is the best BMW in my view I have ever driven. Granted I have not driven a new CS or CSL but I will always love this car because it has the audacity to push the limit to nearly a RS level offering. I give them huge respect for this car as it's truly a gem.bmw-m4-gts-ol065.jpg

Reactions
I walked by the bmw booth at petit le mans with 5 friends and every single one almost puked and said “why are they all so ugly”. Thenew 5 series and it is absolutely awful. And the grill is like a plastic shield with a grill in the grill. The small c pillar makes it seem cheap. The entire design is bad. It absolutely horrendous.

My personal opinion. I have zero desire to own any where 20 years ago I wanted them all.

Wild

Did you like this M5 design of the previous? 2022-bmw-m5-cs-front-view.jpg

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
E39 is one of the cars I consider when I think, "If a brand builds something you love, you buy it while you can because the next gen probably won't be as good."

Other things that fall into this category for me: E38, 2GS, LS 430, J100 LX and Land Cruiser, IS F, GS F, W210 and W211, W140, B8 S5, D3 A8.
My late grandfather(my mother's side of the family) had a W210 in silver and avantgarde trim, that thing is so comfortable and stable that it doesn't even feel like it's moving despite going at highway speeds, still has the looks of a classy businessman's car even after all these years. He used to have a W124, it was the first Mercedes he bought, sadly it got stolen not long after he bought it and was never found again 😭, probably ended up in Albania or some other similarly crap country that also has an obsession with Mercs.

IMO current Mercedes feel like they are made for the attention hoes on social media platforms.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
My late grandfather(my mother's side of the family) had a W210 in silver and avantgarde trim, that thing is so comfortable and stable that it doesn't even feel like it's moving despite going at highway speeds, still has the looks of a classy businessman's car even after all these years. He used to have a W124, it was the first Mercedes he bought, sadly it got stolen not long after he bought it and was never found again 😭, probably ended up in Albania or some other similarly crap country that also has an obsession with Mercs.

IMO current Mercedes feel like they are made for the attention hoes on social media platforms.

My parents had a champagne/tan (lol) W210 E320 growing up... I remember what an awesome car that was. Built so solid, never had a single thing wrong with it, luxurious, the ride was awesome and it handled well too. We also had a 2000 Jaguar XJ8 at the same time and let's just say that car was... um... very different from the Mercedes in terms of build quality and reliability.

W210 was Mercedes in their golden era IMO!

Och

Admirer
Reactions
As much as I loved the E39 5 series, still think its the best looking BMW ever, if not the best looking car ever - I did not care at all for the W210, or any E class for the matter. The 2GS was much better looking, and for the most part a better overall car, except for the AMG versions of the 210.

Absolutely loved the W140, best looking Merc ever.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
My parents had a champagne/tan (lol) W210 E320 growing up... I remember what an awesome car that was. Built so solid, never had a single thing wrong with it, luxurious, the ride was awesome and it handled well too. We also had a 2000 Jaguar XJ8 at the same time and let's just say that car was... um... very different from the Mercedes in terms of build quality and reliability.

W210 was Mercedes in their golden era IMO!
When was even the last time Jaguar or any other British car manufacturer made something that isn't on the brink of disassembling itself lol.