Prius SUV being tested at Nurburgring

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Toyota test mule bares a RAV4 shape but with a Prius front end, hinting of a possible evolution of the Prius+ MPV
A test mule of a Toyota Prius SUV has been spotted undergoing performance testing at the Nurburgring in Germany, indicating that Toyota could have redesigned the seven-seat Prius+ MPV into a crossover for its next generation.

Toyota launched the Prius+ MPV back in 2011, and with an all-new Prius on the market it’s likely this test mule is an evolution of the hybrid people carrier. The biggest giveaway that it’s a Prius SUV is the front end, which features a set of headlamps taken directly from the standard Prius hatchback.

Best SUVs and 4x4s

The test car is also noticeably bigger and more angular than its MPV predecessor. The raised ground clearance and chunkier alloy wheels are also apparent in the spy shots.

toyota_prius_plus_006.jpg

Seems like Rav4 size, maybe tiny bit smaller... will this be more luxurious vs utilitarian Rav4? C-HR is already based on same platform, just cut off overhangs.

Might be my next car, especially if it features up-power hybrid powerplant, well they already said it will.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/toyota/prius/101409/toyota-prius-suv-spotted-at-the-nurburgring

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Otherwise known as, the Prius V here in North America. This is a brilliant strategy (if true) to upsize the next V, because I feel the current Prius V isn't differentiated enough from a regular Prius. There is a chance this could be a mule for another vehicle, but it is likely the next Prius V.

If they offer enough power, this supposed next-gen Prius V could sell extremely well. Simply moving from a wagon/van looking body to a crossover body will yield immediate sales benefits, as pretty much anything with a crossover body currently sells well.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Otherwise known as, the Prius V here in North America. This is a brilliant strategy (if true) to upsize the next V, because I feel the current Prius V isn't differentiated enough from a regular Prius. There is a chance this could be a mule for another vehicle, but it is likely the next Prius V.

If they offer enough power, this supposed next-gen Prius V could sell extremely well. Simply moving from a wagon/van looking body to a crossover body will yield immediate sales benefits, as pretty much anything with a crossover body currently sells well.

while this will replace current Prius V, i dont think they will call it Prius V... it is completely different vehicle.

I agree that it will sell like hotcakes... looking it more and more, it does seem smaller than Rav4, how does it seem to you? I have poor judgment when it comes to looking at mules.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
while this will replace current Prius V, i dont think they will call it Prius V... it is completely different vehicle.

I agree that it will sell like hotcakes... looking it more and more, it does seem smaller than Rav4, how does it seem to you? I have poor judgment when it comes to looking at mules.

Yes, I agree. What I meant was this is a nice logical evolution for the V, but its true that they will likely give it a different name.

Here is a quick comparison with a flipped image of a Rav4 prototype:

DQLVdvy.jpg

xproxy.php,qimage=http,P3A,P2F,P2Fcdn1.autoexpress.co.uk,P2Fsites,P2Fautoexpressuk,P2Ffiles,P2Fstyles,P2Fgallery_adv,P2Fpublic,P2F2017,P2F10,P2Ftoyota_prius_plus_006.jpg,P3Fitok,P3Dlm_gi0tg,ahash=64d5806c6e1ce962e1e61f6fbf912c3b.pagespeed.ic.u_zUJIGpCj.jpg

From this rough visual comparison, it looks to be of similar length to the Rav4, however it has a much more curvy shape than the Rav4, and definitely seems shorter than the Rav4. That and I expect the next-gen Rav4 to grow slightly larger.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
you are right.. look at the rear window, it seems much smaller than rav4s and there is some coupe like thing like on C-HR but with added extra small window in the back to add more light and see a bit more on the side.

toyota-chr-ride-2016-043.jpg

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
i dont understand those rear doors at all on Prius SUV, they look to have very weird angle of the top cutoff, cant be true.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I wouldn't take that rear window too seriously on that prototype. There looks to be some extra cladding on the rear window, and possibly some fake details added on to throw people off. I think the camo might also be covering part of the window. We'll see what the final product looks like, but I agree the rear door/window area doesn't look quite right.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I wouldn't take that rear window too seriously on that prototype. There looks to be some extra cladding on the rear window, and possibly some fake details added on to throw people off. I think the camo might also be covering part of the window. We'll see what the final product looks like, but I agree the rear door/window area doesn't look quite right.

door lines still look weird (as in not straight), and that small window at the back we can see through, so it is real... they did something like on C-HR but not the same.

In general, this looks like what it will look like in production form, it should come out next year really.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Next gen Corolla hatch... disguised as Prius up front?

no, it is bigger and its Prius SUV... Toyota needs more SUVs, this would fit between C-HR and Rav4, very important in countries where Rav4 is already a bit too big and C-HR is too small...

I expect them to do smaller than C-HR soon enough as well.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
First of all, the thread title made me LOL

Second, I guess we're sure this is a Prius because of the front-end? Looks like a Lexus in the back

toyota_prius_plus_016.jpg

P.S. I literally spent 10 seconds looking at these images. Don't murder me.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Well aside from the Prius family front end, the other telltale signs are the skinny tires on this, and the lack of any obviously visible exhaust. If you look closely you can see a tiny exhaust at the rear, about the same size as a typical Toyota hybrid exhaust.

I mean if one considers this to be a Lexus, what could it possibly be? A next-gen CT? Doubtful, as that would be the UX most likely. Is it a UX? I personally don't think it's angular enough to be UX. It's possible I guess, but quite unlikely.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
First of all, the thread title made me LOL

Second, I guess we're sure this is a Prius because of the front-end? Looks like a Lexus in the back

View attachment 2610

P.S. I literally spent 10 seconds looking at these images. Don't murder me.

yeah, gonna be good looking Prius SUV. Of course it is a Prius, they have gone through lenghts to make it look like a Prius too.

Hopefully testing at Nurburgring means european development, european interior, like C-HR.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Not to mention, the overall shape looks to be a mainstream Toyota body shape. I'm not seeing much Lexus styling cues in the overall shape. That and the Prius V is overdue for a redesign.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Not to mention, the overall shape looks to be a mainstream Toyota body shape. I'm not seeing much Lexus styling cues in the overall shape. That and the Prius V is overdue for a redesign.

there were rumblings in American media 2 years ago how Prius lineup will spur an suv... i would guess thats when it was first shown internally on dealer conference or what not.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
If the Prius gets a SUV Varient they won't be able to build enough of them once it doesn't look as bad as the current Prius.

not in the USA though... there half of the Rav4's are imported since they cant build enough of them already.. but I think that this might end up being really nice worldwide vehicle for markets that prefer slightly smaller than Rav4.

mikeavelli

Reactions
not in the USA though... there half of the Rav4's are imported since they cant build enough of them already.. but I think that this might end up being really nice worldwide vehicle for markets that prefer slightly smaller than Rav4.

I actually had experience with the 7 seat Prius 5 in Florence when I was there a couple of years ago. A shame we never got that option here.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I actually had experience with the 7 seat Prius 5 in Florence when I was there a couple of years ago. A shame we never got that option here.

Yeah, didnt sell many in Europe though... I wonder how will this be marketed specifically, for Europe, it would be even better if it wasnt called Prius. As people would just want something between C-HR and Rav4 in both pricing and size.

But we also preffer interior of C-HR, which is much more luxurious and designed better even if less utilitarian.