perishing tyres..!!

Reactions
I just took my LC 500h in for its 2 year / 20,000 mile service. In fact it has less than 18,000 on the clock. The local dealer did a free health check, which passed OK. However they warned me about the state of my front tyres (Bridgestone Turanza T005’s).

I don’t drive the car hard, so they still have 5.4 mm of tread, but the dealer’s techy reported (in a video - how modern!) that the tread on both front tyres is “perishing & the inside shoulder worn and undulated”.

I was astonished! Is perishing what one expects on tyres which are so new, and after so little mileage? I’ve never seen this phenomenon on a car in all my 45 years of driving!

It is highly likely that they will not pass the car’s first MOT in a year’s time, but they will still probably have plenty of tread left on them.

I did a bit of reading and the reason all the websites gave for tyres perishing was always as a result of long term UV radiation. In other words, leaving the car out in the sun for years on end. Mine is always garaged in an underground garage. Sounds like sub standard tyres to me. I have yet to find an alternative to Bridgestones, unfortunately. Any insights, anyone?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
I can only offer some very basic commentary. Run-flat summer tires are not exactly a recipe for longevity. My Lexus IS 350 came with NON run-flat but performance summer tires. The car included a warning that "tires may last 15,000 miles or less". Since then, I know that I have to "pay to play" and change my 4 tires every 15,000 miles.

Grand touring tires such as those Turanza T005s may have longer tread life, but run-flats, by their very nature have shorter tread life than non-run-flats, so one sort of balances out the other.

Your Anglophile spelling of "tyres" tells me you're probably based outside the United States, so I'm not sure if you can purchase replacement tires from U.S.-based Tire Rack directly. Regardless of that, their website is a fantastic resource for researching alternatives based on tread life, handling, ride, quietness, wet and dry weather performance, etc. Their Turanza T005 run-flats page sadly, reveals they have yet to test it and has no user reviews. Still, you can use that as a starting point to research alternatives. Here's the link:

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Turanza+T005+RFT

Reactions
Many thanks, Joaquin. That at least is some comfort! You are correct! I did, after writing the above see that there is a tiny bit of small print in the LC brochure saying "performance tires are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 15,000 miles, depending upon tire used and driving conditions”. I am indeed in the UK but can get to the TireRack web site. I’ll do some reading. Thanks again.

Reactions
I just took my LC 500h in for its 2 year / 20,000 mile service. In fact it has less than 18,000 on the clock. The local dealer did a free health check, which passed OK. However they warned me about the state of my front tyres (Bridgestone Turanza T005’s).

I don’t drive the car hard, so they still have 5.4 mm of tread, but the dealer’s techy reported (in a video - how modern!) that the tread on both front tyres is “perishing & the inside shoulder worn and undulated”.

I was astonished! Is perishing what one expects on tyres which are so new, and after so little mileage? I’ve never seen this phenomenon on a car in all my 45 years of driving!

It is highly likely that they will not pass the car’s first MOT in a year’s time, but they will still probably have plenty of tread left on them.

I did a bit of reading and the reason all the websites gave for tyres perishing was always as a result of long term UV radiation. In other words, leaving the car out in the sun for years on end. Mine is always garaged in an underground garage. Sounds like sub standard tyres to me. I have yet to find an alternative to Bridgestones, unfortunately. Any insights, anyone?
I have a similar experience. My 2021 LC with 21” wheels and Michelin Pilot Sport tires, had to get 4 tires changed only after 14,000 miles. In addition, my Lexus dealer told me that sometimes these tires can’t even last for 10,000 miles. I was shocked when I heard this at that time, but after doing some research, it now seems to me that the LC 500 will just have to have the tires replaced every 10-15 K miles.

If anyone know any LC500 tires that lasts longer, please let us know. Thank you!