Performance Test: The 2018 Lexus LS 500 F SPORT vs Mercedes S560 AMG Line

flexus

Admirer
Reactions
Guys when we were whining about Lexus switching V8 to V6. MB is planning to put 2L I4 PHV onto next gen C63 AMG......

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Guys when we were whining about Lexus switching V8 to V6. MB is planning to put 2L I4 PHV onto next gen C63 AMG......

Possibly debuting 2021. That matters. Looks like MB could be doing some hybrid-performance take like Toyota's e-axle (different tech though).

As long as it's fast and performs, and hopefully it doesn't sound too terrible, it might not be too bad. I think hybrid performance could help with driving feel issues that i've had with EVs in the past.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Possibly debuting 2021. That matters. Looks like MB could be doing some hybrid-performance take like Toyota's e-axle (different tech though).

As long as it's fast and performs, and hopefully it doesn't sound too terrible, it might not be too bad. I think hybrid performance could help with driving feel issues that i've had with EVs in the past.

Thing is, if you are already paying a weight penalty and put a highly stressed ICE in there might as go full electric. This tiny turbo-4 PHV thing is just stupid compared to a full performance BEV solution like TM3 Dual Motor.

If I buy a performance car today I would want either eight cylinders or zero, not some number in between.

CRSKTN

Expert
Reactions
Thing is, if you are already paying a weight penalty and put a highly stressed ICE in there might as go full electric. This tiny turbo-4 PHV thing is just stupid compared to a full performance BEV solution like TM3 Dual Motor.

If I buy a performance car today I would want either eight cylinders or zero, not some number in between.

It's a question of economics at that point more than anything, and farming their existing investments. I imagine they know their markets and clients decently well, and it seems to be pointing at the increasingly hybridized platforms until the ground-up electric platforms come into their own.

If it take the LC 500h hybrid/4-gear-esque approach even further in terms of hybrid platform driving engagement, that's a win right there for a lot of the market.

Last edited:

spwolf

Expert
Reactions

catch is to figure out what market desires... In Europe, regulators are helping 50km PHEV market which is why all these European manufacturers are doing them.