Paint Chip/Peeling in Odd Area

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Greetings!

While detailing my 2019 UX 250h, I noticed a spot on the rear hatch, just under the corner of the rear window (passenger side), where the paint had started to peel back. It is in an odd location where it is unlikely that a rock would strike this part of the car. The exterior paint color is Eminent White (pearl white). My question is if anyone else has had issues with this color on their Lexus? See attached image of the damage.

I have touch-up paint, along with some very fine artist paint brushes to touch-up the spot, however, I don’t want to attempt to repair the area until I have a dealer look at it, in the event it is a paint defect.

Thank you in advance for response.

Attachments

• 4A04FBDB-AA41-4426-9C4C-466D9E26D27D.jpeg
    4A04FBDB-AA41-4426-9C4C-466D9E26D27D.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I had a similar problem with my white (I don't remember the exact colour code) 2015 ES 300h a few months ago (pre-pandemic lockdown).

At that time, I noticed some brown discolouration seeping out from under the chrome piece above the rear licence plate. The dealer confirmed that it was rust. Luckily, the dealer agreed to cover the repair. I hope that resolves the issue.

I have not been particularly happy with the paint recently, as I have been getting a lot of chips (and I have not been driving a lot, and mostly in the city, not in dusty-dirty environments). I try to keep up with the touch-up paint and may look to trade it in next year (especially if the 2022 model is a mid-model change with the availability of a plug-in hybrid model).

Lexucator

Fan
Reactions
Thank you for your response, Sulu. I’m glad the dealer agreed to cover the repair and hope your ES doesn’t experience similar issues in the future.

I believe the rear hatch of the UX is comprised of a resin, so at least I don’t think I will have to worry about rust. I just don’t like having a spot that is missing paint on a car that has less than 14,000 miles. I really like this car and it is my first Lexus, I just hope it’s not a sign of more paint problems.