Orders for New Lexus RX in Japan Exceed Yearly Sales Goal

Reactions
I agree, every new release in Japan sounds the same "omg orders are 10 million billion past expectTions"..

For those that don't know the process there is completely different than here. There is no inventory and no negotiating price. You go to the dealer, order your Lexus as you want and wait for it to arrive.
The thing that I like about buying in Japan is that you get to order your car exactly the way you want...with the way cars are nowadays in the US, there is less room for personalization from the factory (Toyota used to offer most of their options a la carte). BMW still allows most of their buyers to customize and special order bespoke vehicles. For Lexus buyers, its still more harder to special order since much of it is up to the regional office to approve the dealer request.

mikeavelli

Reactions
The thing that I like about buying in Japan is that you get to order your car exactly the way you want...with the way cars are nowadays in the US, there is less room for personalization from the factory (Toyota used to offer most of their options a la carte). BMW still allows most of their buyers to customize and special order bespoke vehicles. For Lexus buyers, its still more harder to special order since much of it is up to the regional office to approve the dealer request.

Yup! They even have samples to show you how your interior can look. It's quite amazing!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
For Lexus buyers, its still more harder to special order since much of it is up to the regional office to approve the dealer request.

Wonder if Lexus might ease up on that policy a little (at least for the ES), since it's now built domestically here at the Georgetown, KY plant with the Camry?

That might be something for our on-board Lexus rep to look into.

Reactions
Yup! They even have samples to show you how your interior can look. It's quite amazing!
A friend from Japan just brought over some Japanese Lexus brochures, and I envy them for having cloth as standard equipment. I know it is sacreligious for luxury cars in the US to have them, but honestly, if I could special order, why not give us the same option. Cloth seated Lexuses around here are unicorns...

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
A friend from Japan just brought over some Japanese Lexus brochures, and I envy them for having cloth as standard equipment. I know it is sacreligious for luxury cars in the US to have them, but honestly, if I could special order, why not give us the same option. Cloth seated Lexuses around here are unicorns...

I, for one, don't see cloth seats as anathema for luxury or upmarket cars....especially in a nice soft velour or velvet pattern. In fact, years ago, before leather and seat heating/cooling became virtually standard in upmarket vehicles, many buyers preferred cloth because it stayed cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions

I had a 1996 GS 300 that had cloth seats and a moonroof and it definitely was a unicorn. I sure miss my 1GS...

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
The BMW M3/M4 comes with cloth standard...or its a no cost option....
lol, thats funny :)

I was just checking some A6's in Europe and cloth sucks.

As to the RX and monthly goals, large cars are not big in Japan but not only that - Lexus's are much more expensive than similar Toyota's there (I dont think Highlander is even sold there, i dont remember) plus their total sales per month is now record 4k. It is likely going to take them 5-6 months to fulfill these orders.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
lol, thats funny :)

I was just checking some A6's in Europe and cloth sucks.

As to the RX and monthly goals, large cars are not big in Japan but not only that - Lexus's are much more expensive than similar Toyota's there (I dont think Highlander is even sold there, i dont remember) plus their total sales per month is now record 4k. It is likely going to take them 5-6 months to fulfill these orders.

They don't sell the Toyota Highlander in Japan but they do sell the Toyota Kluger (either a 2.7 L or 3.2 L motor) which basically is the Highlander in the U.S.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
They don't sell the Toyota Highlander in Japan but they do sell the Toyota Kluger (either a 2.7 L or 3.2 L motor) which basically is the Highlander in the U.S.

oh yeah, same cars... I dont think Kluger sells anything close to 500 units per month btw.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Yes cloth is a very cool option, and in some markets like Japan for example, cloth is considered highly luxurious.

It would be awesome to see cloth as standard or an option more on North American vehicles.

Reactions
oh yeah, same cars... I dont think Kluger sells anything close to 500 units per month btw.
I believe Toyota discontinued selling any Klugers in Japan after 2007 or so, when the Gen2 Highlander came out. This figures because they still have the Harrier, and now the RX in the marketplace there. The Highlander is still the Kluger in Australia, where it seems that it is also a good seller for Toyota down under.

abraxas

Fan
Reactions
I have nothing to back this up, but I have to think that announcing this level of demand is a PR move all on its own. There's no way Lexus doesn't know exactly how many vehicles will sell in Japan.

I agree. It's not unlike a realtor hyping it up and using the sense of urgency psychology strategies "that this house will sell soon, so you better make an offer NOW". Totally different approach but with the same goal - sales driven by emotion.

"This thing is so fine that EVERYONE wants one".