ssun30

Expert
Reactions
... and how do you think they can make it desirable in any way shape or form?

The exact same problem with the last gen will happen again because they have no competitive powertrain, lacking in feature because of stinginess, uninspiring interior with fake leather and plastic and no trims, no interior space because of a poorly packaged platform. What makes you think people will buy a midsize RWD sedan from Lexus when they spent zero effort on even their flagship?

Even if we cover our eyes and ears and pretend the midsize sedan market isn't shrinking, Lexus isn't the company that will make a good one. Seriously, just buy a 5 series already. There's no shame in buying from another brand if the brand you like doesn't offer what you want. We are consumers not fans of sports team.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
and how do you think they can make it desirable in any way shape or form
I dunno, by not looking as abhorrent as the 5 series?
they have no competitive powertrain
They do in the V35A and upcoming TTV8 and their hybrid versions.
lacking in feature because of stinginess
How so? It would be built off the Crown sedan which has all the features you'd want. FYI the Crown cross has soft close doors so that would be a first for the GS and I assume the next gen ES.
uninspiring interior with fake leather and plastic and no trims
Now you're just being dishonest. It would share similar materials with the RX and Crown sedan perhaps even better.
no interior space because of a poorly packaged platform
Now I'd consider this a valid point but seeing the new Crown sedan I disagree. It has plenty of space.
Lexus isn't the company that will make a good one
If we ignore history sure.
We are consumers not fans of sports team
What do you think this forum is called? :ROFLMAO:

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
I dunno, by not looking as abhorrent as the 5 series?

They do in the V35A and upcoming TTV8 and their hybrid versions.

How so? It would be built off the Crown sedan which has all the features you'd want. FYI the Crown cross has soft close doors so that would be a first for the GS and I assume the next gen ES.

Now you're just being dishonest. It would share similar materials with the RX and Crown sedan perhaps even better.

Now I'd consider this a valid point but seeing the new Crown sedan I disagree. It has plenty of space.

If we ignore history sure.

What do you think this forum is called? :ROFLMAO:

V35A is nowhere near as smooth or responsive than B58. Car enthusiasts all agree on that. We'll see how the new TTV8 goes.

GA-L has issues with packaging and weight. I'd love to see a revision of it for their future RWD applications (GA-L II perhaps).

The new RX still has soft touch plastic covering most of its dash whereas X5 / GLE uses leather stitching.

I want Lexus to full on compete with Germans but they are heading Infiniti / Acura directions more and more. No wonder ppl chose to neglect your flagships coz they just want to make quick profits like entry brands do.

Reactions
V35A is nowhere near as smooth or responsive than B58. Car enthusiasts all agree on that. We'll see how the new TTV8 goes.

GA-L has issues with packaging and weight. I'd love to see a revision of it for their future RWD applications (GA-L II perhaps).

The new RX still has soft touch plastic covering most of its dash whereas X5 / GLE uses leather stitching.

I want Lexus to full on compete with Germans but they are heading Infiniti / Acura directions more and more. No wonder ppl chose to neglect your flagships coz they just want to make quick profits like entry brands do.
Lexus has shown they're still committed to developing more RWD products. If this is the case then a new RWD platform should be more than fine on a new GS. Heck, the new Crown Sedan is a 5th generation GS. Just rebadge it, stiffen up the chassis, give it AVS, and chuck in the twin-turbocharged V6 from the LS.

And yes, you're right about the B58. As someone who was really the only person at one point in these forums who kept saying the B58 is better than almost any powertrain that has come out of Lexus, I still believe Lexus can do better.

With the reversal that we're seeing with EVs, it makes perfect sense to build a great six-cylinder engine that can be used in multiple Lexus products (meaning they can get their ROI), or heavily revise the V35A-FTS into an engine that's competent.

Also, with regard to plastics, Lexus uses high quality materials in areas that you regularly touch.

With that said, I actually agree with your assertions. BMW is becoming a more bang for your buck kind of brand. You get a lot with a BMW while Lexus suffers with wheezy 4-cylinder powertrains that sound relatively unrefined. My point is that it doesn't have to be this way, and Lexus CAN do better.

Heicho

Follower
Reactions
V35A is nowhere near as smooth or responsive than B58
So every carmaker with an engine inferior to the B58 should stop making cars right?
GA-L has issues with packaging and weight
Take a look at the recent Benz and BMW offerings. CLAR isn't exactly lightweight.
I'd love to see a revision of it for their future RWD applications
It's on the way.
2024-bmw-x5-112-1675791496.jpg

Where is all the stitching? I see as much if not less stitching here than the new RX. Besides, this interior is full of plastic. The RX interior uses a combination of wood aluminum suede and plastic and looks visually cleaner IMO. The Crown sedan's interior is a sea of wood with stitched leather and a good use of plastic. The exterior design isn't even a debate and I would love to see a GR Crown sedan if the GS isn't making a return.

sl0519

Follower
Reactions
Lexus has shown they're still committed to developing more RWD products. If this is the case then a new RWD platform should be more than fine on a new GS. Heck, the new Crown Sedan is a 5th generation GS. Just rebadge it, stiffen up the chassis, give it AVS, and chuck in the twin-turbocharged V6 from the LS.

And yes, you're right about the B58. As someone who was really the only person at one point in these forums who kept saying the B58 is better than almost any powertrain that has come out of Lexus, I still believe Lexus can do better.

With the reversal that we're seeing with EVs, it makes perfect sense to build a great six-cylinder engine that can be used in multiple Lexus products (meaning they can get their ROI), or heavily revise the V35A-FTS into an engine that's competent.

Also, with regard to plastics, Lexus uses high quality materials in areas that you regularly touch.

With that said, I actually agree with your assertions. BMW is becoming a more bang for your buck kind of brand. You get a lot with a BMW while Lexus suffers with wheezy 4-cylinder powertrains that sound relatively unrefined. My point is that it doesn't have to be this way, and Lexus CAN do better.

Volvo makes a good 4 cyl that sounded almost as nice as a V6 and goes way faster (exclude durability) so I don't know if it's Lexus being lazy developing good engines or they are just incompetent.

Where is all the stitching? I see as much if not less stitching here than the new RX. Besides, this interior is full of plastic. The RX interior uses a combination of wood aluminum suede and plastic and looks visually cleaner IMO. The Crown sedan's interior is a sea of wood with stitched leather and a good use of plastic. The exterior design isn't even a debate and I would love to see a GR Crown sedan if the GS isn't making a return.
Everyone has different opinions and tastes - each to their own.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I am happy for ya'll to discuss and speculate on it, so no worries there. The GS was my all-time favorite Lexus and the car that brought me to the brand, so I have a soft spot for it and I'd love to see it return.

The business case for the car is another matter, unfortunately (IMO).

One thing I will mention is that it's been a really bad month for EVs: Tesla profits plunging, Ford slashing prices, GM delaying factories and EV products, Stellantis putting gas back in the next gen Charger, Honda dissolving their partnership with GM for cheap EVs, Mercedes dealers saying they don't want anymore "EQ" products, the list goes on...

I realize "weather is not climate" and the battle does not make the war, but if things continue at this rate, I wonder if Lexus is going to reconsider or delay their EV plans. Is there a chance all of this opens up the viability of hydrogen? I'll be watching and curious to see how the next few months play our for BEVs.

PS @Trexus does your IS 500 still come in this month? Were you able to confirm a Grecian water allocation?

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
IMO There should always have been BEVs. But they should not forcefully be the only solution. ICE, HEV, PHEV, BEV, HFCEV, they should be choice according to needs/wants.

Agree. Reminds me of what Toyota has said for the better part of a decade: The future is many different powertrains and solutions for many different uses: HEV, PHEV, BEV, ICE, etc.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
Just rebadge it, stiffen up the chassis, give it AVS, and chuck in the twin-turbocharged V6 from the LS.
The "just do this this and that" mentality doesn't work in reality.

Example: "just put a V8 in LS" is an easy way to make LS somewhat good again, except Lexus won't do that. Why not? Lexus has been given us excuses for that decision and we all know they are nonsense.

The IS500 was perhaps the only instance where Lexus "just do something".