krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
2023-02-14-lexus-electrified-sedan.jpg

Lexus will launch a series of “next-generation” EVs by 2026, as new Toyota president Koji Sato reveals more of his plans — from the press release:

Specifically, we will develop next-generation BEVs for Lexus brand by 2026, with everything from the battery and platform to how a car is built optimized for BEVs, while expanding our current BEV lineup.

This is notable, as reports last year suggested Toyota may scrap the new E-TNGA platform used to build the RZ 450e — from Reuters in December:

E-TNGA was designed so EVs could be built on Toyota assembly lines with gasoline cars and hybrids, a compromise that limits the automaker’s ability to deliver factory-floor innovations that Toyota engineers now recognise as key to...

Continue reading...

Reactions
This will cost them a helluva amount of money but it's better for them to make an emergency change now than pay the price later.

It's only 3 years away. Given how Toyota/Lexus of today behave and aren't resting on their laurels, I fully expect them to knock it out of the park even in this short timeframe.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I wonder what the plan is for...
IS
ES
LS
RC
LC
... since all are due for a refresh now or within the next 3 years. Do they stay the same and ride it out? Die off? Hiatus?

IS was set to go through 2024 MY, I believe? What now?

LS is already overdue.

ES should be coming soon - probably next year.

RC dies?

LC does too once LFR arrives?

I assume next-gen ES will be all hybrid with PHEV and BEV options, but I'm not sure what they'll due with the IS. I expect Lexus to let the LS die on the vine again and then they'll release the next generation once it's ready in BEV-only format, presumably for 2026. Just as it was with the 4LS, the longer that goes on, the higher the stakes become and inevitably set the car up to fail unless they're able to create some game-changing tech and features.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
Again, Toyota is being too honest for their own good. You would never expect a German automaker to admit that their vehicles are not good enough.

Buyers do not care (do no understand enough to care) about the platform nor the technical design details. They only care about EV range and charging time.

So just build them! Build as many EVs in as many different models as you can, and learn from what the buyers like and don't like (like what Hyundai and Kia are doing). When the new and improved platform is ready, sell it, and just say that it improves this, that and whatever (costs and price, range, charging time, etc.).

All this honesty just confuses buyers, gets them worried and reduces interest in Toyota EVs, reducing potential sales. We are seeing that here, in this enthusiast board.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
IS
ES
LS
RC
LC
... since all are due for a refresh now or within the next 3 years. Do they stay the same and ride it out? Die off? Hiatus?

IS was set to go through 2024 MY, I believe? What now?

LS is already overdue.

ES should be coming soon - probably next year.

RC dies?

LC does too once LFR arrives?

I assume next-gen ES will be all hybrid with PHEV and BEV options, but I'm not sure what they'll due with the IS. I expect Lexus to let the LS die on the vine again and then they'll release the next generation once it's ready in BEV-only format, presumably for 2026. Just as it was with the 4LS, the longer that goes on, the higher the stakes become and inevitably set the car up to fail unless they're able to create some game-changing tech and features.
If both IS and ES are BEV, I see no difference between them. BEVs have no "FWD" vs "RWD" platform, at least when well made. Being BEV, interior space can be maximized while keeping the car short.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Again, Toyota is being too honest for their own good. You would never expect a German automaker to admit that their vehicles are not good enough.

Buyers do not care (do no understand enough to care) about the platform nor the technical design details. They only care about EV range and charging time.

So just build them! Build as many EVs in as many different models as you can, and learn from what the buyers like and don't like (like what Hyundai and Kia are doing). When the new and improved platform is ready, sell it, and just say that it improves this, that and whatever (costs and price, range, charging time, etc.).

All this honesty just confuses buyers, gets them worried and reduces interest in Toyota EVs, reducing potential sales. We are seeing that here, in this enthusiast board.
If I like/respect/appreciate Toyota it is primarily for their efforts of being honest. Sad world that honesty is seen as a negative.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
If both IS and ES are BEV, I see no difference between them. BEVs have no "FWD" vs "RWD" platform, at least when well made. Being BEV, interior space can be maximized while keeping the car short.
IS: compact
ES: midsize/large midsize
LS: flagship

Same platform and mechanicals in three different sizes and prices. Seems good to me…

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I don’t see this as Toyota being “too honest,” but rather an explanation and excuse for what is sure to be delays in the arrival of next generation models. We know TX and GX are next, but passenger cars after that are anyone’s best guess. As above, I expect an ES hybrid-only interim generation, but LS, IS, LC and RC have no clear future plan. Lexus just bought themselves 3 more years of time with this announcement.

Now Lexus can tell dealers, “Wait until 2026.” It’s only dealers and enthusiasts who pay attention to this type of media anyway.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
IS
ES
LS
RC
LC
Good question, but nobody wants to hear this...

Seems like they are already letting the slow death happen (reference the low volume of US Lexus IS LS RC LC sales in 2022), with the ES (and NX and RX of course) still selling well.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
We will know the fate of IS/RC/LC/LS when Toyota reveal full details of the new Crown sedan later this year. We just need to be a bit patient.

The 2024-2026 period will be similar to 2018-2020 period where very few Lexus products were redesigned but a large proportion of Toyota lineup got big upgrade and left Lexus lagging behind. But this time it will be mostly minor updates on the Toyotas so it's not as bad for Lexus.