Toyota Land Cruiser Megathread (300, 250, Prado, etc)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's the same problematic 6AT on the Taco not the one on the V8 LC200/Tundra. That may give you second thoughts 🤣

I thought the Tacoma (2GR-FKS) transmission was different from the 4.0L applications (1GR-FE)?

supra93

Expert
Reactions
Toyota Land Cruiser 300 Series big V6 diesel engine outputs leaked: Smaller engine smashes 200 Series V8 on power and torque - reports
Toyota has reportedly come good on its promises surrounding the new LandCruiser, with the LC300's V6 diesel out-punching the 200 Series' V8 on power and torque, according to international reporting.

The Japanese media has been hard at work sniffing out the details of the LC300, with Creative 311 quoting dealer sources who have reportedly leaked the outputs of the new V6 Diesel engine that was first reported in CarsGuide.

And the news is Very Good for anyone worried that the new model's smaller engine would underperform. Remember when Toyota promised - via CarsGuide - that the new model "will have the enhanced capabilities, and I am more than confident it will strengthen LandCruiser's legend status"?

Turns out, they weren't kidding. In fact, Japanese media is that the new 3.3-litre diesel engine will produce a whopping 230kW and 687Nm, paired with a 10-speed automatic transmission.

The current LC200, for reference, is fitted with a bigger V8 diesel, but produces 200kW and 650Nm.

The news adds weight to comments made by Toyota Australia's VP of sales and marketing, Sean Hanley, that the new model would further the LC story.

"The LandCruiser needs to be capable. It needs to be able to perform, drive, tow, as expected of a LandCruiser," Mr Hanley said.

"It has a huge heritage. It's a legend, actually, of capability in the Australian landscape. It’s clear that the number of cylinders are cubic capacity are not the only things that determine the powertrain performance.

"The powertrain of any future LandCruiser will be built to deliver. It will deliver on power, torque, towing and off- and on-road capabilities. And I am supremely confident that with whatever we do, it will continue to remain a very capable vehicle all round."

According to Japanese media, the second engine offered - at least at launch - will be a petrol-powered twin-turbo 3.5-litre V6. That engine will produce a monstrous 313kW and 589Nm, again paired with a 10-speed automatic.

The LC300 is expected to be revealed as early as this month, ahead of an on-sale date around the middle of the year. And when it does, it will be packing an equipment list miles apart from where it sits today.

Japanese media is reporting that genuine leather seating, a 12.3 -inch screen with navigation and a JVBL sound system, a 3D terrain monitor and even fingerprint scanning to prevent theft will be included.

We also know that Toyota in Australia has been "intrinsically involved" in the LC300's development, saying it has the "confidence" to promise that fears the new model will be less rugged and capable than the outgoing LandCruiser 200 Series are wide of the mark.

“We have Altona Vehicle Evaluation section within TMCA (Toyota Australia), and TMC (Toyota Japan) works intrinsically and closely with our group in the development of any off-road vehicles,” says Rod Ferguson, Toyota Australia’s General Manager of Product Planning and Development.

“That’s where we have the confidence to say that the vehicle testing and vehicle suitability - whether it’s towing or off-road performance - will be there in any product we release.”

Toyota's Mr Hanley says he's aware of the "emotion" surrounding the LandCruiser, and reconfirmed his confidence that the new model would out-perform the old.

“I get the emotion of LandCruiser. In many respects, it’s a really strong point for our brand,” he said. “What we don’t want, or what we’re… careful with, is we never ever want to in any way mislead our customers into thinking whatever might or might not happen with a car.

“With LandCruiser, we understand the importance of that car in this market, and we understand our customers functionality requirements in this market, be it off road or performance.

“Whatever LandCruiser we’ve brought out in history, it’s always improved, and we don’t want people to think that we’d ever do something with any LandCruiser, whether that’s now or in 10 years’ time, that would ever diminish its capability in this market.”

International reports have pointed to the LC200 factories now re-tooling for the LC300, with that vehicle expected to debut as early as this month ahead of an on-sale date - at least internationally - later this year.

The new LC300 will reportedly be bigger in almost every key dimension than the vehicle it replaces, stretching some 4970mm in length, 1985mm in width and 1870mm in height, and it will ride on a 2900mm wheelbase.

Last edited:

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions

1.2021-Toyota-LandCruiser-300-Series-1001-565.jpeg
I know that is not the LC300

But I really like this design over the other leaked photos!

That said the engines if true as carsguide said, Toyota will have amazing top tier V6 engines!

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I see some people interpret the V35A-FTS's torque output to be detuned from LS500 (600N.m -> 589N.m). This is a unit conversion issue. Toyota rate their engine torque in kgf.m (as opposed to the standard N.m). 1 kgf = 9.81 N but in the engineering world 1g is loosely equal to 10 for simplicity. So 60 kgf.m = 589N.m when using g=9.81 but 600N.m for g=10. In the end the output are exactly the same, just the value for g is different. Similarly F33 makes 70 kgf.m which is 700N.m or 687N.m.

b.ba

Fan
Reactions
I have mixed feelings about this if this is the real thing. I'll assume that different trim levels/packages will have somewhat unique fascia, but from what I see that grille is huge and the black plastic cladding wrapping around the front cheapens the look (maybe this is a base model? the triple beams indicate otherwise).