New Videos: The Next Generation 2016 Lexus RX

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Based on Mr Templin's indication that we can expect more F-models in the Lexus range, what are my fellow enthusiasts' thoughts on the potential launch date of an RX F? If it is in on the cards, could we see a reveal in 16Q1 with launch in 16Q3/4 as a '17 model, basically a year after the new RX?

I think that we'd likely see a hypothetical LS F and new IS F get released before seeing an RX F, but that's just my opinion. If an RX F is coming, I would guess it's a few years away. Personally I'm not sure if we're going to see F SUVs.

End of November/beginning of December in showrooms, but specs & tentative prices will be known earlier ;)

Ah well that makes sense , but rayaans' post makes it sound like he's getting a new UK spec model in 2 months, which seems early, assuming he's referring to the 2016 model. Some clarification from rayaans should help :).

Joe

Premium Member
Reactions
Based on Mr Templin's indication that we can expect more F-models in the Lexus range, what are my fellow enthusiasts' thoughts on the potential launch date of an RX F? If it is in on the cards, could we see a reveal in 16Q1 with launch in 16Q3/4 as a '17 model, basically a year after the new RX?
In my personal opinion: top high performance SUV's (style X5M, Cayenne Turbo S,...) are a bit overdone. As good as they might be on a automotive technology level, I feel it doesn't make much sense to build a race car for the road based on an SUV body (even if the S in SUV should mean 'Sports'). On the other hand, image wise I understand that the German brands introduce these versions to the market. Should Lexus do the same for image reasons? Perhaps... but I believe there are a lot of other market sub-segments to attack first (read: to allocate engineering resources to) and that Lexus should concentrate its F brand further on sedans and coupes. I don't think an RX F is in the plans for the coming years.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Somehow i think the new RX has a better interior than the LS =| !!

I think about this level of detail going into the next generation LS and drool.

During the video interview with the chief designer, he mentioned the RX as the "Ultimate Lexus SUV" -- makes me wonder how many of the design cues of the RX interior will be picked up in the next-generation LS.
Picked up by the next LS? I would hope not. The next LS has to define and set, not borrow cues from lesser models. The new G11 7-Series is being chided for this, while bringing a great level of new technology to the segment. Around the time the G11 design was approved in mid-2012, someone mentioned that it was pretty much a bigger 3-Series with an "astounding" interior. That holds true as it gets revealed to us 3 years later.

The LS400 influenced the Lexus line and so shall the next LS if Lexus knows what's good for it. The RX interior is nice, but should not be that stand-bearer. Audi and Jaguar (part of my work) have picked up on this mistake, by making sure the flagships set the tone for once. The Spindle Grille should be treated like BMW kidney grilles, as always having a place, but everything surrounding it changing.

The GS has been at the forefront of this, but it just isn't right for surordinate offerings to be showcasing new design language. This is why the S-Class is so respected in many ways, as the while E-Class merely hints at the future, the S-Class brings fully new design to the table.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
It was in development for 10 years? Does that mean the current RX (AL10) was a major facelift of the XU30/2RX (2003-2008)? The 4RX clay design models (shown in the second video) would've been built in late 2012-13, but what were they doing for 7-8 years before that? This isn't on the TNGA modular it seems, but a revised K platform. So why would it take 10 years to develop? Even for all our minute resources at Jaguar Land Rover, even we don't take this long. This is not meant to be negative, but I am just puzzled at that remark by Katsuda-san.

My sister that hated how this looked from the 3/4, but is now content with the RX450h F-Sport. She did not go with me to the NYIAS, but tried relying on photos, which do not tell the story. Recalling that trip and as of watching these videos, I can now see why she changed her mind. Bear in mind, this will be replacing her 8-year 2008 RX400h.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Picked up by the next LS? I would hope not. The next LS has to define and set, not borrow cues from lesser models. The new G11 7-Series is being chided for this, while bringing a great level of new technology to the segment. Around the time the G11 design was approved in mid-2012, someone mentioned that it was pretty much a bigger 3-Series with an "astounding" interior. That holds true as it gets revealed to us 3 years later.

The LS400 influenced the Lexus line and so shall the next LS if Lexus knows what's good for it. The RX interior is nice, but should not be that stand-bearer. Audi and Jaguar (part of my work) have picked up on this mistake, by making sure the flagships set the tone for once. The Spindle Grille should be treated like BMW kidney grilles, as always having a place, but everything surrounding it changing.

The GS has been at the forefront of this, but it just isn't right for surordinate offerings to be showcasing new design language. This is why the S-Class is so respected in many ways, as the while E-Class merely hints at the future, the S-Class brings fully new design to the table.

I think you're taking things a bit literally. I see nothing wrong if the next-gen LS uses design cues from the new RX interior. That is markedly different than literal design elements which I'm sure the next-gen LS won't be using. Besides, the RX (and NX) both use interior design cues from the LF-LC concept, and when that debuted, Lexus was clear in saying that the LF-LC's interior was a hint at future Lexus interiors. The RX and NX use some interior cues from the LF-LC, but obviously neither of them are as luxurious as that interior. I expect the next-gen LS interior will definitely dazzle, and likely match or even handily exceed the S Class interior.

Also in my opinion, the upcoming 7 Series interior, judging from the leaked spy photos, is certainly not "astounding", not even close.

It was in development for 10 years?

You misinterpreted what he said. What he meant was, he has been involved with development of the RX line for 10 years. That's going back to the debut of the 2nd-gen RX.

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I think you're taking things a bit literally. I see nothing wrong if the next-gen LS uses design cues from the new RX interior. That is markedly different than literal design elements which I'm sure the next-gen LS won't be using. Besides, the RX (and NX) both use interior design cues from the LF-LC concept, and when that debuted, Lexus was clear in saying that the LF-LC's interior was a hint at future Lexus interiors. The RX and NX use some interior cues from the LF-LC, but obviously neither of them are as luxurious as that interior. I expect the next-gen LS interior will definitely dazzle, and likely match or even handily exceed the S Class interior.

Also in my opinion, the upcoming 7 Series interior, judging from the leaked spy photos, is certainly not "astounding", not even close.

You misinterpreted what he said. What he meant was, he has been involved with development of the RX line for 10 years. That's going back to the debut of the 2nd-gen RX.

In regards to the LF-LC, yes that is an excellent idea and that is one key factor in new Lexus models. One hopes it is bespoke enough, but even the next E-Class shares cues with the S-Class interior. You have not seen the G11 interior in full yet, as it's highly improved. I do believe the LS might surpass that.

Development of the XU30 RX for the 2004 model year ended in 2002, but I just discovered my mistake! I cannot believe I have forgotten that Katsuda-san was responsible for the current RX, which began development in 2004 (facepalm). He was the one who teased the 2013 LS in silhouette, at the 2012 Geneva Auto Salon presentation of the 2013 RX F-Sport. Can't believe I missed that.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
In regards to the LF-LC, yes that is an excellent idea and that is one key factor in new Lexus models. One hopes it is bespoke enough, but even the next E-Class shares cues with the S-Class interior. You have not seen the G11 interior in full yet, as it's highly improved. I do believe the LS might surpass that.

Development of the XU30 RX for the 2004 model year ended in 2002, but I just discovered my mistake! I cannot believe I have forgotten that Katsuda-san was responsible for the current RX, which began development in 2004 (facepalm). He was the one who teased the 2013 LS in silhouette, at the 2012 Geneva Auto Salon presentation of the 2013 RX F-Sport. Can't believe I missed that.

I would guess that the LF-LC production model (LC?) will certainly impress, as will the next-gen LS. Hmmm interesting point about the new 7 interior. I wonder how much improved can it really be.

Also no worries, no big deal on that miss :).

Last edited:

Wicus Kriel

Premium Member
Reactions
In my personal opinion: top high performance SUV's (style X5M, Cayenne Turbo S,...) are a bit overdone. As good as they might be on a automotive technology level, I feel it doesn't make much sense to build a race car for the road based on an SUV body (even if the S in SUV should mean 'Sports'). On the other hand, image wise I understand that the German brands introduce these versions to the market. Should Lexus do the same for image reasons? Perhaps... but I believe there are a lot of other market sub-segments to attack first (read: to allocate engineering resources to) and that Lexus should concentrate its F brand further on sedans and coupes. I don't think an RX F is in the plans for the coming years.

Some people like acceleration. Some prefer the feel and realisation of the engineering that enabled it. Some prefer the statistic when comparing their vehicles to others. Some enjoy both of those elements. I like the former and in the same breath like the practicality of an SUV. Mixing performance elements with SUV practicality speaks to a market segment where a primary vehicle could address two primary customer requirements to a great extent. The enthusiast who finds it practical and affordable to do so, will of course focus proper attention to each of those wants by obtaining a vehicle for each.

Fast acceleration makes me happy. Lexus is becoming a more emotional brand every day. An RX F would address a market segment that certainly does exist and is predominantly spoken to by the Germans at this point in time. Some product lines aren't built purely for bottom-line benefit, but for benefits in other less tangible areas that all contribute to brand association and value. Maybe Lexus does build an RX F (that thought makes me happy).

BOOSTEDLEX

Premium Member
Reactions
I think they did a nice job with the New RX. The heads up display is nice since I'm use it on the GS Fsport. I like the the little detail near the shifter and cup holder. Also the headlights and new grill look more attractive. Makes my GX460 seem a little dated. There are only two concerns I have, which some might consider minor. 1) The Nav/menu screen doesn't fold back down when shutting off the car or does it? 2) The retractable screen/cover in the back to cover what you don't want people to see. They don't have a place to stow it in the vehicle like they did on the 2006 RX400h.