New Trailhawk version of Jeep Grand Cherokee to be unveiled at the New York Auto Show

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
If it wasn't for the worse-than-average reliability of Jeep Grand Cherokees, and the risk of leasing or purchasing one, I'd seriously consider owning one....I'm a big fan of its driving/road manners, comfortable well-trimmed interior, nice fit/finish, smooth versatile drivetrain, and general level of refinement. The current version, IMO, was a huge jump over the previous ones. Here, a new Trailhawk version is set to be introduced next week at the New York Auto Show, which opens this coming Friday, the 25th.

2017-trailhawk.jpg

http://www.carscoops.com/2016/03/2017-jeep-grand-cherokee-trailhawk-new.html

Earlier this week, we saw the first images of the new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk surfacing, but today we got some fresh details and photos of the upcoming rugged version of the big Jeep.
Cherokee and Renegade versions, the Trailhawk version of the Grand Cherokee will be the most off-road capable model of the range, featuring a unique version of Jeep’s air suspension that offers a longer suspension travel and better articulation and a Quadra-Drive 4x4 system with a rear electronic limited slip differential.

The new Grand Cherokee Trailhawk will also come with a removable lower front fascia in order to offer increased approach, breakover and departure angles over the regular model. Furthermore, the biggest Trailhawk in Jeep's range will offer up to nearly 11 inches of ground clearance in the suspension’s highest setting and 18-inch wheels shod in reinforced off-road tire.

That decal on the hood is not just for show as it’s supposed to reduce the glare while the red tow hooks front and rear are bespoke to this model.

The cabin has been upgraded with seats dressed in leather and suede with red stitching, a brushed piano black trim and a gunmetal finish to painted interior parts. The updated infotainment will project new off road-related info like the suspension height, wheel articulation and the selected driving mode.

The new Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk is going to debut at next week’s New York Auto Show.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Off road packages of anything are selling like crazy, even if they're just mostly cosmetic.

Good move by Jeep!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Off road packages of anything are selling like crazy, even if they're just mostly cosmetic.

I've heard one or two complaints about the flat-black hood, but, as I see it, it helps keep down the glare and reflections, particularly in a vehicle like this where you are sitting up high up in the seat and the hood is clearly visible out front. At one time, flat-black hoods (or hood stripes) were popular on American muscle-cars.

Reactions
I see as many JGCs as RXs...these definitely lease well for sure. Honestly, I've always liked them and they offer a lot of options for sure. But definitely their LT reliability would mean that a lease would be as long as one would want to even own one.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I see as many JGCs as RXs...these definitely lease well for sure. Honestly, I've always liked them and they offer a lot of options for sure. But definitely their LT reliability would mean that a lease would be as long as one would want to even own one.

In general, they are better off-road than an RX. But your point is well-taken...many of them ARE used like RXs. And, perhaps most important, on pavement, they now DRIVE like RXs...with virtually the same refinement. Reliability, though, as you note, is a weak point with the JGCs.....has been for years.

Reactions
In general, they are better off-road than an RX. But your point is well-taken...many of them ARE used like RXs. And, perhaps most important, on pavement, they now DRIVE like RXs...with virtually the same refinement. Reliability, though, as you note, is a weak point with the JGCs.....has been for years.
Most SUVs can't be taken off road...the JGC stands out, much like the 4Runner, which is still old-school. But yes, the JGC still has that appeal to some soccer moms that probably couldn't get into a Tahoe/Yukon.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Most SUVs can't be taken off road...the JGC stands out, much like the 4Runner, which is still old-school. But yes, the JGC still has that appeal to some soccer moms that probably couldn't get into a Tahoe/Yukon.

Many potential buyers might like the view from sitting way high up in a Tahoe/Yukon, Suburban, or a similar full-sized Ford full-size SUV, until they stop and realize just how difficult these behemoths are to park and maneuver in tight spaces, their vulnerability to low-hanging tree-branches, ceilings, etc....., their thirst (and expense) at the gas pumps, their ponderous handling, and their freight-train stopping distances in an emergency. Many of them sample a nice mid-size SUV like the JGC (or even a compact crossover SUV like the RAV-4/CR-V/Sportage)...and find out they really don't need all that full-size weight and sheet metal around them after all. In the past, weight and size often translated into crash-resistance, but even today's compact vehicles are reasonably safe compared to their predecessors.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I would do a SRT-8 so bad.......

One nice thing.....on the latest SRT-8 versions, Jeep finally has a tow-package for it. For a time, they didn't allow towing, even with all of that HP and torque. (470 ft-lbs. on the latest version). Neither did GM, back when they were doing high-performance SUVs like the Typhoon. Go figure.