New Toyota Tacoma TRD Pro to be Unveiled in Chicago

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Toyota_teaser.jpg

Toyota just released this teaser image, and while it doesn't show much, it suggests a newTacoma model will debut at the Chicago Auto Show later this week. Toyota isn't telling us a whole lot, of course, only saying the automaker is "heating up the Windy City with a world premiere."

So, what do we have? The upright grille shape is clearly that of the Tacoma, though the "TOYOTA" lettering on the front is different than the standard models, which just display the company's logo. This reminds us of the text treatment we saw on the TRD Pro versions of the 4Runner, Tundra, and last-generation Tacoma – the hood scoop suggests that, as well. And while we can't say for sure if this is another off-road variant, we're willing to bet the folks at TRD are behind this new creation.

Toyota's Chicago Auto Show press conference takes place on Thursday, February 11, at 1:30 PM Central. Tune in at that time to see exactly what Toyota is up to.

Also, check out this teaser video from Toyota's twitter account:
Very excited for this, personally!

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Always been a fan of the Tacoma and really like what they did with the new model. I'll be looking forward to seeing this premiere today

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Leaked!

TOYOTA_H38C3337_PRT_740-740x493.jpg

H38C3766_740-740x493.jpg

The Tacoma TRD PRO is based off a Tacoma TRD Off-Road 4×4 Double Cab Short Bed in either a 6-speed manual or automatic. It will be available in three colors: Cement, Barcelona Red Metallic, and Super White and each truck will feature several exterior upgrades like:
  • 16-inch TRD black alloy wheels with Goodyear Wrangler® All-Terrain Kevlar®-reinforced tires
  • TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate
  • Rigid Industries® LED fog lights
  • Projector-beam headlights with black bezels, LED Daytime Running Lights (DRL), and auto on/off feature
  • Taillights with black bezels
  • TRD Pro badge on front door with diamond-pattern knurled finish
  • Black TRD Pro and 4×4 rear tailgate badging
Plus, each Tacoma TRD Pro will also come equipped with a heritage-inspired TOYOTA front grille with color-keyed surround, blacked out hood scoop and graphic, color-keyed power outside mirrors with turn signal indicators, color-keyed door handles, black overfenders, and a color-keyed rear bumper.

On the inside, Toyota added an integrated inclinometer and tilt gauge. Plus, each Tacoma TRD PRO comes with:

• Black TRD Pro leather-trimmed heated front seats with TRD Pro logo located in the headrest
  • 4-way adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
  • EntuneTM Premium Audio with Integrated Navigation and App Suite
  • TRD shift knob
  • TRD Pro floor mats
  • Leather-trimmed tilt/telescopic steering wheel with audio and Bluetooth® hands-free phone controls
  • Rear parking assist sonar
  • Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert (RCTA)
The GoPro mount will also be a part of the TRD PRO.

While the powertrain, CRAWL control, Multi-terrain Select system, trailer sway control and locking rear differential, among other features, are carried over from other Tacoma models, Toyota ramps up the “bad ass” nature of the TRD PRO by adding:
  • FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks tuned by TRD
  • TRD-tuned front springs with a 1-inch lift
  • TRD-tuned rear suspension with progressive-rate off-road leaf spring
No word on pricing as of yet. The new 2017 Toyota Tacoma TRD PRO will at dealers this fall.

Click here to read the press release as well as see a detailed preliminary list of features.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
It's nice to see Toyota so committed to TRD Pro at this point, and a dramatic departure from what many of us have known of TRD in the past: one-off editions of cars, aftermarket parts with spotty availability and a supercharger program that never quite got off the ground. With TRD Pro coming so late in the lifecycle for the 4Runner, 2nd gen Taco and Tundra, seeing them release this truck just a few months after introducing the 3rd gen Tacoma bodes well for the future.

Speaking of forced induction, if Toyota had any sense, they'd bring back the supercharger for these trucks and make it a factory option. With how popular the Raptors are, no doubt there is a group of people who would pay extra money for a "Stage 2" TRD Pro Tacoma or 4Runner that was blown.

From a marketing, brand awareness and enthusiast perspective, TRD Pro is one of the best things to happen to Toyota in a long while. We saw them experiment with Highlanders, Camrys and Avalons this year on the show circuit, so I have a feeling that we might see more TRD products in the future.

With trucks and SUVs being the hottest segments in the market right now, it makes sense to see them focusing their time and energy there, but dedicated a dedicated TRD version of the FR-S would be neat. Maybe they already have such a thing?

For reference, 2017 TRD Pro 4Runner, also in cement:

191070d1455210566-2017-4runner-no-6th-gen-screenshot_2016-02-11-09-06-06.jpg

191071d1455210748-2017-4runner-no-6th-gen-screenshot_2016-02-11-09-11-23.jpg

mikeavelli

Reactions
Agreed, they need to bring the S/C's back, from the few discussions I've had there is a lot of love internally for TRD right now as they had a lot of changes in the past..the NASCAR success this year helps too....and loyaltoyota is a joke, he doesn't even own an actual Toyota product. Should rename it unloyalToyota.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Last I heard, the TRD Pro products were so hot that Toyota wasn't allowing employees to purchase them through the employee program. Employees had to go to dealers and get in line just like everyone else.

That's COLD!

mikeavelli

Reactions
Last I heard, the TRD Pro products were so hot that Toyota wasn't allowing employees to purchase them through the employee program. Employees had to go to dealers and get in line just like everyone else.

That's COLD!

You are correct....I was told the same thing...from my understanding there is a waiting list and they all sell as soon as they land..

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Great points Gecko. Also, in my humble opinion, if Toyota had any sense, they would not have removed the V8 option from the 4Runner. I personally know of dozens of Toyota off-road enthusiasts that remain very disappointed that they dropped the V8 from the 4Runner years ago with the current generation, and also dropped availability of that supercharger. I'm sure there's a lot more disappointed enthusiasts out there.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^agreed. A lot of people are still lamenting the loss of the V8. Toyota hoped that by beefing up the V6, people wouldn't miss the V8, but they also made the 5th generation 4Runner heavier so the same thrust that was had in the 4th gen V8 is nowhere to be seen.

If Toyota could bump that 4.0L V6 to something like 325lb-ft of torque, even with the same 270hp, and add a 6 or 8AT, a lot of people would be a lot happier.

mikeavelli

Reactions
Great to see the Tacoma make that list. Some of my co-workers were at the Chi-Town show and stated how packed that TRD/Toyota area was.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
^agreed. A lot of people are still lamenting the loss of the V8. Toyota hoped that by beefing up the V6, people wouldn't miss the V8, but they also made the 5th generation 4Runner heavier so the same thrust that was had in the 4th gen V8 is nowhere to be seen.

If Toyota could bump that 4.0L V6 to something like 325lb-ft of torque, even with the same 270hp, and add a 6 or 8AT, a lot of people would be a lot happier.

Toyota miscalculated badly, and since then has stubbornly ignored the voices of many owners IMO. Lots of people are still willing to buy a V8 4Runner.

Yes if the V6 could have been bumped up in power and a lot more in torque, more people would have been happier. However I'm not sure how technically feasible it would have been.

I don't understand why the 4.6L V8 hasn't been put into the 4Runner. It's almost as if those that want a new V8 4Runner, or simply a midsize Toyota SUV with a V8, are being forced by Toyota to get a GX. That's not to mention how much sales of the Tacoma would increase, if they added the 4.6L V8 to the Tacoma.

As with many Toyota off-road enthusiasts, I will not buy a new 4Runner, until they add the V8 back. A future purchase of mine is likely to be a used V8 4Runner.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Toyota miscalculated badly, and since then has stubbornly ignored the voices of many owners IMO. Lots of people are still willing to buy a V8 4Runner.

Yes if the V6 could have been bumped up in power and a lot more in torque, more people would have been happier. However I'm not sure how technically feasible it would have been.

I don't understand why the 4.6L V8 hasn't been put into the 4Runner. It's almost as if those that want a new V8 4Runner, or simply a midsize Toyota SUV with a V8, are being forced by Toyota to get a GX. That's not to mention how much sales of the Tacoma would increase, if they added the 4.6L V8 to the Tacoma.

As with many Toyota off-road enthusiasts, I will not buy a new 4Runner, until they add the V8 back. A future purchase of mine is likely to be a used V8 4Runner.

I sympathize with much of what you say here, but, today, we're seeing something we've never seen before in the industry......CAFE standards applying to trucks as well as passenger cars. The 4Runner is not the only truck (or truck-based vehicle) that is going to make do with smaller engines in the future.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I'd actually be tempted to buy a 4th gen 4Runner V8 myself, but the low roofline, narrow windsheild and high seating position are terribly uncomfortable for someone my height - 6' - and I'm not even that tall.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I sympathize with much of what you say here, but, today, we're seeing something we've never seen before in the industry......CAFE standards applying to trucks as well as passenger cars. The 4Runner is not the only truck (or truck-based vehicle) that is going to make do with smaller engines in the future.

Its overall not per vehicle...thus the Prius helps the 4Runner..

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

That's COLD!

That's probably a good way for some workers to start calling in sick...........;)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions

Note: Not the same CAFE standards apply to trucks as they do cars.

Therefore, that's why automakers classify more and more of their crossover/SUV vehicles as light trucks, given them some leeway in achieving the challenging CAFE fleet averages (and some leeway with safety and emission standards too). Some might describe it a bit of a legal loophole, and it's not accidental either...

Last edited: