New RX owner in the midwest.

Reactions
Howdy folks. I'm new to Lexus, coming from a '17 Highlander SE. I went with an RX 350 w/ parchment interior. It was funny as I was in the market for a 4Runner as an "upgrade" to the Highlander, which I felt was too sterile and... hmm... "boring". I just couldn't find any excitement in driving it. I'm sure it's a great, durable car, but it wasn't for me.

I had a neighbor a few houses down that had an Infinity, so I asked him about it, and he turned me on to the idea of a service-loaner. Well, lots of companies just want to get you to take a test-drive, because they figure that will sell you on a new car. I learned a LOT by test-driving a lot of cars. I test-drove every suspension version available for a 4Runner, and concluded that while the "niceties" of the Limited were moving away from the very thing that appealed to me about a 4R... those details were too strong to ignore... AND THEN... I drove a couple Lexus service-loaners, as well as a couple new models.

I told myself I should stick with my 2 year long plan, of ridding myself of the Highlander and getting the 4R that has tortured my thoughts for the past years... "WHY didn't I just get what I WANTED!? I went to the dealer KNOWING all I ever wanted was a 4Runner? What happened?" (this haunted me every time I got in the Highlander)

Well... what happened back then... may have happened again, but this time I have no regrets. I was talked out of a 4R based on mileage and nice touches in the Highlander... but in a short time (after buying), I realized the Highlander was oddly sterile... and the mileage difference didn't justify the lack of personality over the 4R. So... 2 years later... I found myself ready to buy a 4R... but something told me I should at least TRY the Lexus offerings first. (It was going from standard suspension 4R to KDSS and X-REAS really... "oh... so they can ride a lot better than that first one?")

First I test-drove a GX460. With it's V8... the difference over even the Limited 4R was striking... "oh... THIS is what power feels like"... it was a slap in the face by a hand that had soaked in ice for 10 minutes. Holy smokes what a wake-up call. So... after crunching numbers and pushing for deals... down to the wire. I was within about $5500 of the best deal I could get on a 4R Limited. What do you get for the extra $5500? Integrated running boards... fully evolved safety features... incredibly well-finished interior (vs. "spartan" interior")... third-row standard ($1350 option on the 4R... so technically we aren't $5500 apart... but actually about $4150 apart)... TONS of nice touches like LED everything that's still bulbs in the 4R... seriously... the list goes on... oh yeah... KDSS STANDARD(?!) That's a $1650 option on the 4R (and I researched the hell out of KDSS vs. X-REAS... so yeah... that's a "real" thing)... SEE HOW THE VALUE MARGIN IS EVER DECREASING? By the time you get running boards and other stuff on the 4R you're withing a few grand of the Lexus... which STILL has a V8.

Well... my genius of a salesman, Brad... had me wait in an RX while he pulled up a GX. Just sitting in it... was giggle inducing. I couldn't believe how cool it was inside. But ultimately... I thought, "stick with the plan... just get the 4R you've wanted for years unless this GX becomes even more the clear choice"... but... that plan had already evolved because the TRD ORP that I was sold on, became a Limited (after driving all of them)... I couldn't ignore that I was appreciating the refinement, but I did end up back at the Toyota dealer... with a voice in my head urging, "stick to the plan, you know what you want".

So... there I am, ready to pull the trigger on the 4R... I was IN the other dealer... about to do it. I couldn't get the RX out of my head... I'm clinging to the 4R Limited as a sound choice because I thought it felt SLIGHTLY more peppy than the others that would squat on power, even though they weren't really "going"... since that service-loaner was REALLY close to the 4R's price... I thought, "well... you've got to at least DRIVE it... just to know"... so I left, "for lunch"... *ahem*... and decided to just get one more look at the RX before pulling the trigger on the 4R... and... well... I drove it.

I could continue this story for the 1 guy or gal that may appreciate my blathering... but the gist is... you can't un-experience that. The car may as well just SAY, "how much power do you want? I'll give it to you"... that feeling was... man... after having so many "ordinary" cars over the years I almost wanted to cry... driving it all I could think is... man... I LOVE this thing. Compared to anything "normal" (including any version of the 4R) this thing wanted to rip out from under me... SILENTLY, I might add... as if it was nothing.

So... cutting details short... well... here I am. Maybe I'll still get a 4R in the future... once they do something major since it's been running pretty much the same for about 9 years... but in the meantime... I'm gonna' have the time of my life in this thing. '19 RX 350 AWD, Caviar, Parchment. Love. It.

RAL

Reactions
Congratulations and Welcome @Getty ... I graduated from a Highlander and Avalon to an RX and an ES in 2007 and haven't looked back since! Although I have to say I think the NX is more fun to drive than the RX. My sister drives a GX and loves it, but the GX is getting long in the tooth like the 4Runner!

Reactions
IMO the NX looks nicer than the RX... maybe I should have driven one (I didn't), but I drove so many cars that I felt insistent on a 6 over a 4 (even if the 4 is turbo). On the lot I kept walking up to NX (because they look so nice).

The thread I'm tempted to start is on the RX F-Sport vs normal RX. Had I realized the differences I may have swallowed the pill of an extra $5K (if they'd have given the same amount off). It would seem that version is the most bang for the buck, even though it's more bucks. It hardly matters what "build my car" lets you do for any manufacturer, because dealers tend to stick with packages anyway. At my local dealership, F's all have panoramic sunroofs for instance, and ZERO regular RX's do, even though "build my car" let's you do panoramic for only $500 difference. To me that's a no-brainer, but it's not an option in the real-world until you go F.

Looking at the NX's... they also looked like a lot of bang for the buck, and I like that they don't have the "floating roof" design. That design on the RX was part of the reason I chose black over silver (since it blends-in on the black).

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Welcome and congrats, the RX is indeed a boatload of fun to drive! I usually get one as the service loaner when my LS is in for maintenance. The RX 450h hybrid is also a lot of fun.

Reactions
Yeah... funny enough. I realize (now of course) that if I weren't going to the F-Sport... the 450h is probably the one to get. Researching performance, it seems you don't sacrifice anything for the drastically increased mileage.

To give you an idea of how much fun I'm having with the RX... I'm getting between 16.5 - 19 mpg so far. LOL... I'm sure that will settle into the "average" 22 eventually... but yeah... LOVING it. The most satisfying is driving a normal route (like to/from GF's house or Mom's house) and the same familiar turns/straights/uphill... are a completely new experience.

A friend of mine has an RC F-Sport... and he loves it (he's been sort of rubbing it in my face for a while, eager to point out how cheap my other cars have been)... and the RC does something funny I never knew about, it actually plays engine sounds into the cabin when in sport mode. One of the things I like about the RX is how it makes the speed feel effortless and silent.

Reactions
Yeah... funny enough. I realize (now of course) that if I weren't going to the F-Sport... the 450h is probably the one to get. Researching performance, it seems you don't sacrifice anything for the drastically increased mileage.

To give you an idea of how much fun I'm having with the RX... I'm getting between 16.5 - 19 mpg so far. LOL... I'm sure that will settle into the "average" 22 eventually... but yeah... LOVING it. The most satisfying is driving a normal route (like to/from GF's house or Mom's house) and the same familiar turns/straights/uphill... are a completely new experience.

A friend of mine has an RC F-Sport... and he loves it (he's been sort of rubbing it in my face for a while, eager to point out how cheap my other cars have been)... and the RC does something funny I never knew about, it actually plays engine sounds into the cabin when in sport mode. One of the things I like about the RX is how it makes the speed feel effortless and silent.

Just would like to correct you here at the end there. Lexus never "plays" or injects noise to the cabin like BMW famously does. What Lexus does is that they have an intake that opens at a certain rpm level (depending on which mode you're in, or could be closed if it's in comfort) and ENHANCES that engine noise into the cabin through the speakers as a way for the sound to make its way into the car. People when reviewing Lexus vehicles always seem to make this mistake as well.

Anyways, welcome to Lexus Enthusiast forums! We hope you enjoy your time here with all of us and hopefully together we can experience some amazing things at Lexus (and TMC to a greater extent).

Reactions
Just would like to correct you here at the end there. Lexus never "plays" or injects noise to the cabin like BMW famously does. What Lexus does is that they have an intake that opens at a certain rpm level (depending on which mode you're in, or could be closed if it's in comfort) and ENHANCES that engine noise into the cabin through the speakers as a way for the sound to make its way into the car. People when reviewing Lexus vehicles always seem to make this mistake as well.

Anyways, welcome to Lexus Enthusiast forums! We hope you enjoy your time here with all of us and hopefully together we can experience some amazing things at Lexus (and TMC to a greater extent).

Thank you... I really appreciate you clearing this up (or starting to), but I'm not sure if I follow you on the difference? So there's a physical "door" that opens (air can pass through from the engine bay into the cabin) at a certain RPM and there's a microphone at that door which is mixed into the stereo system on it's own input (to the infotainment)? Or even not a door open between engine bay and cabin... but this "intake"... is miked?

If you know off-hand a great reference for this online... I'd love to read more on it.

I'd never heard of adding engine sound to the speakers in any car before. A friend of mine owns a '17 RC 350 F... and he kind of smirked while simply saying it plays engine noise through the speakers in S+ or something. Now I'm actually curious what they're doing, because adding a miked mix to the audio bus is actually kind of a sophisticated process for a car stereo.

Reactions: RAL
Reactions
Thank you! And here's my "gift" for today... if you have the 12 speaker stereo (or probably any stereo)... get out your CD's... I haven't been listening to CD's in forever. I didn't get the ML stereo (thinking now I should have, but I wonder how much better it can sound?)... anyway... CD's in the new RX... more to love. They sound WAY better than MP3... so, if you have some old CD's and want to fall in love with some of your favorite songs again... try them in your Lexus. You may be surprised how good that stereo really is.