New Lexus Supercar Could be Decades Away

Reactions
As long as Ferrari is still there, all other brands around that class look quite stupid to me. Although there is a LFA, supercar is not core culture of Lexus at all. A luxury coupe with some sporty performance like LC is the right way to go.

As for CT, this hacth is really dragging down the Lexus brand. However, I will say that ES and NX are good enough. RX is really the best luxury vehicle around 40K for most people.
Lexus needs to put more efforts to make a unibody flagship SUV based on LC/LS platform, which will lift the brand recognition with profit.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
I had the same thought re: making a hot hatch CT with the multi-stage system.

As far as the LFA, I think it served it's purpose: every new Lexus being introduced now shows its influence, so there's no need for another one until the next time they want to radically change the brand's image.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Give me a CT-F. A proper bad ass hatch to take on the Ford Focus RS

I want to see one of these so bad. A CT with the new turbo engine, a manual, and AWD.

I think the LFA has served its purpose for the Lexus brand. While I would love to see a successor, one of the great qualities is how much time and engineering went into the LFA. Probably one reason we are already seeing multiple 40k+ mile versions (I'm thinking of the black one from youtube and the prototype). Its not a type of car I would expect to see Lexus producing every couple of years, but when that replacement does come, it will be something special.

ydooby

Follower
Reactions
The LFA is a supercar. But what Lexus really needs to keep that halo effect alive is a true sports car in the regular lineup in the same price range as the AMG GT, the i8, the R8 and the Carrera S, i.e. $100k-$160k. And no the LC is way too heavy to be considered a sports car and even Lexus avoids such wording in its PR.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
The LFA is a supercar. But what Lexus really needs to keep that halo effect alive is a true sports car in the regular lineup in the same price range as the AMG GT, the i8, the R8 and the Carrera S, i.e. $100k-$160k. And no the LC is way too heavy to be considered a sports car and even Lexus avoids such wording in its PR.
The LFA is in the same class as the cars you just mentioned above, but the difference is that the LFA was an exclusive car (500 models), therefore, increasing it's price and popularity. To be honest, the LFA would not have gained as much respect if it wasn't such an inclusive car. For example, the Audi R8 and GT S are better cars, but they aren't respected as much like a "classic" because anyone with the money can get it. The LFAs rarity gives it an edge.

Reactions
Lexus, no need for another LFA... Just give us an LC F with a V10 and we won't complain :grinning:

LC V10 or gt3 Hi revving NA Lightweight version. And and it should be a supercar

LC F turbo AWD and LC GT3 V10.
I see the RC GT3 concept and i want to see that thing in LC body. Not RC

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Bringing this thread back from the dead because of yet another wishy-washy yes?no?maybe? Autocar article on the likelihood of a son-of-LFA. This one cites Lexus president Yoshihiro Sawa:

Lexus boss 'dreams' of new LFA supercar
Company president says he wants a successor to 202mph supercar, but focus remains on more affordable models
by Jim Holder - 24 October 2017

Lexus president Yoshihiro Sawa has refused to rule out launching a spiritual successor to the LFA supercar but says that, for now, such a project remains “just a dream”.

Production of the LFA was limited to 500 units and the model went off sale in 2012. Powered by a 4.8-litre 552bhp V10, it covered 0-62mph in 3.6sec and hit a top speed of 202mph.

While it remains a supercar icon, with its reputation and used asking prices on the increase, Lexus insiders have previously suggested that cars such as the striking LC coupé do more to change perceptions of the brand by being more affordable for aspirational buyers.

“I really want to do an LFA successor, and it is important to have dreams, but for now it is a very complicated situation,” said Sawa. “It’s a very difficult question to answer as I would like to do it, but we have other priorities for now.”

These priorities will include bringing two SUVs to production: the UX as a rival to the Audi Q3, BMW X1 and Mercedes-Benz GLA, and a seven-seat version of the RX to rival the Range Rover Sport for versatility and luxury.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/lexus-boss-dreams-new-lfa-supercar

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
The next gen supercars will be a battle of electric current. The fastest production car on the Green Hell is an EV and it doesn't seem ICE cars will ever gain an edge: EVs are much easier to cool at high output so more air can be used for generating downforce.

So maybe they are waiting for some breakthrough in their EV program.