Name game: Infiniti’s new compacts will both be called QX30 (no more Q30)

mikeavelli

Reactions
I think most were confused on these cars in the first place then they originally name one Q30 and the other QX30. Now in America they will all be called QX30. They are positioning them as cross overs though they seem more like raised hatchbacks. They feature Infiniti styling, Mercedes engines and interior bits and are produced in the U.K. The 208hp I-4 it debuts with is already behind most everyone else not Acura.
Not sure where they are going with this since it seems more like CT competition than NX.

6190673130ee7e2155884b8020094bf1

http://news.yahoo.com/name-game-infiniti-compacts-both-150130950.html

Infiniti seems to enjoy confusing people. Recently, it introduced a new naming scheme under which every model name begins with “Q” or “QX,” and is followed by a number that has no obvious significance. Now, Nissan’s luxury brand says its two new compact models will both be named QX30. Actually, this makes some sense. Infiniti initially introduced the Q30 hatchback as a distinct model, with the QX30 as a crossover derivative. But the two vehicles are pretty much the same. The QX30 is different from the Q30 in the same way that the Subaru XV Crosstrek is different from the Impreza; it’s a little taller and features more butch, SUV styling. Which may be why Infiniti decided to use the QX30 moniker for both models instead. The former Q30 is now the QX30S, but keeps its lower ride height and more car-like styling. Infiniti now describes all variants as crossovers, although they’re really conventional five-door hatchbacks masquerading as members of that oh so popular segment. Related: 2016 Infiniti QX50 first drive Infiniti notes that it was already planning to sell the higher-riding QX30 as the Q30 in other markets, so either way the nomenclature is getting streamlined. All versions are actually based on the current line of Mercedes-Benz compacts. The model formerly known as the Q30 is an analog for the A-Class, while the QX30 is based on the GLA-Class. Like the Infinitis, the two Mercedes are more or less identical, although because the A-Class isn’t sold here, Americans don’t realize that. So maybe Infiniti is actually being more honest here. All 2017 Infiniti QX30 variants will use a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. The 208-horsepower engine and the transmission both come from the Mercedes parts bin. Front-wheel drive is standard on the QX30, with all-wheel drive optional. Other powertrain options will be offered in Europe, where the QX30 will be used to attract buyers turned off by Infiniti’s previous, larger models. The QX30 will go on sale in the U.S. in mid 2016. It will be followed by the 2017 Infiniti Q60 coupe, which will be unveiled at the 2016 Detroit Auto Show next month and will be based on a previously shown concept. Also watch: 10 Most Innovative Tech Companies of 2015 Please enable Javascript to watch this video

Infiniti seems to enjoy confusing people. Recently, it introduced a new naming scheme under which every model name begins with “Q” or “QX,” and is followed by a number that has no obvious significance. Now, Nissan’s luxury brand says its two new compact models will both be named QX30.

Actually, this makes some sense. Infiniti initially introduced the Q30 hatchback as a distinct model, with the QX30 as a crossover derivative. But the two vehicles are pretty much the same. The QX30 is different from the Q30 in the same way that the Subaru XV Crosstrek is different from the Impreza; it’s a little taller and features more butch, SUV styling.

Which may be why Infiniti decided to use the QX30 moniker for both models instead. The former Q30 is now the QX30S, but keeps its lower ride height and more car-like styling. Infiniti now describes all variants as crossovers, although they’re really conventional five-door hatchbacks masquerading as members of that oh so popular segment.

Related: 2016 Infiniti QX50 first drive

Infiniti notes that it was already planning to sell the higher-riding QX30 as the Q30 in other markets, so either way the nomenclature is getting streamlined. All versions are actually based on the current line of Mercedes-Benz compacts. The model formerly known as the Q30 is an analog for the A-Class, while the QX30 is based on the GLA-Class. Like the Infinitis, the two Mercedes are more or less identical, although because the A-Class isn’t sold here, Americans don’t realize that. So maybe Infiniti is actually being more honest here.

All 2017 Infiniti QX30 variants will use a 2.0-liter turbocharged four-cylinder engine and seven-speed dual-clutch transmission. The 208-horsepower engine and the transmission both come from the Mercedes parts bin. Front-wheel drive is standard on the QX30, with all-wheel drive optional. Other powertrain options will be offered in Europe, where the QX30 will be used to attract buyers turned off by Infiniti’s previous, larger models.

The QX30 will go on sale in the U.S. in mid 2016. It will be followed by the 2017 Infiniti Q60 coupe, which will be unveiled at the 2016 Detro

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well, between Q30, QX30, QX30S, and all the former and future designations of Q30, something just happened that is quite rare, even with alphabet-soup............

...........I'M confused LOL. :eek::D

This is just one of several reasons, IMO, why Infiniti is having trouble selling cars in the American market....and neither Infiniti chief Roland Krueger or his boss (Carlos Ghosn) seems to have a hand on it.

Last edited:

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Sounds too famililar. Could end up like Lincoln with it's alphabet soup naming convention, most premium car buyers don't care to know and cannot be bothered to learn, (therefore they buy mostly BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi products).

(Since we are talking about rebadging again, not to mention the badge matters in successful marketing of premium automobiles.)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
most premium car buyers don't care to know and cannot be bothered to learn, (therefore they buy mostly BMW, Mercedes, Lexus, Audi products).

Some of the Mercedes alphabet soup can be a little confusing, too, especially in the SUV/crossover line-up, until one studies it in detail.

not to mention the badge matters in successful marketing of premium automobiles.)

Correct me if I am wrong in interpreting your post, but just having a premium badge, though, is no guarantee of success. The Jaguar X-Class, Acura ZDX, Infiniti G20/25, Infiniti Q45, Lexus HS250, Lexus IS300 SportCross, Mercedes R-Class, and BMW X6 (among others) certainly proved that.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
Infinitis are just nasty. I was just driving a friend's brand new Q70 two weeks ago, and while it drove nice, I couldn't believe how nasty the dashboard materials were in 2015. They somehow lease very cheap, and I have no idea how they manage to sell the used ones that come off lease.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Infinitis are just nasty. I was just driving a friend's brand new Q70 two weeks ago, and while it drove nice, I couldn't believe how nasty the dashboard materials were in 2015.

Look at who owns the company....Renault. That probably explains at least part of it....although the quality of interior materials in Nissan and Infiniti products is not as bad today as it was when Renault first bought the company and took emergency cost-cutting measures.

They somehow lease very cheap, and I have no idea how they manage to sell the used ones that come off lease.

Yeah...that one is not as easy to explain. :confused: