More Rumors on the Lexus Twin-Turbo 4.0L V8 Engine

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
Sources say Lexus is doing 600+ hp v8 twin turbo engine for LS F, LC F, this has been in various Japanese mags for past year or more .

The prevailing rumor was it would be a 4.0l V8, but I think that's unlikely. Toyota is historically conservative with their engine power outputs, especially on mass produced engines. Both the 8AR and V35A have a specific output of about 120hp/l. To get 600hp, they'd need to jump to 150hp/l out of 4.0l. While this isn't impossible (Ford GT 640hp/3.5l, for example) I doubt that Toyota/Lexus would push that hard. 5.0l would achieve 600hp at 120hp/l, so that'd be an option.

Giving specific output a small bump to 130hp/l would require a 4.6l, which would be the displacement you'd get from taking the V35A and adding 2 more cylinders. I think this is a totally plausible solution. It would feature some parts and tooling commonality with the lower-end engine while having slightly more aggressive tuning for being the top-end engine option.

^ Posted that above in another thread, forgetting that this thread exists.

TheNerdyPotato

Follower
Reactions
Aside from that, Lexus (and Toyota) large SUV and truck models are going to need a new V8 to stay competitive. The next-gen LX can't keep going with the dated 3UR engine. Nor can the coming next-gen Tundra or next-gen Sequoia. Not to mention the next-gen Land Cruiser. The new V35A from the new LS may not be a suitable engine for these models. So either for these models, or for future Lexus F vehicles, it's basically guaranteed that at least one or more new V8 designs will debut.

This. The Tundra's current 4.6l is not what it should be. The 1UR-FE is a significant step down from the 1UR found in the various 460 Lexus models and the bigger 3UR. One of the big downsides of this engine in truck applications is the oversquare geometry. This makes for a more spirited, rev-happy engine, but doesn't belong in a truck. The short stroke makes for a lack of torque, especially when combined with the taller gearing (3.9:1) in the base models as opposed to the 5.7 (4.3:1).

Nerdy math time: Just looking at the existing Dynamic Force engines, we've got a 2.0 I4, 2.5 I4, and a 3.5 V6. With a little math, using those cylinders to make a V8 would come out to 4.0l, 5.0l, and 4.6l, respectively. I wouldn't be surprised to see any one of those displacements come out in the next few years.

Last edited:
Reactions
Lol, I came across this thread and I realized it is one year today since this thread was opened, but there hasn't been much information at all (hence only 4 pages).

Like many people in the forum, I am aching for a new V8. So, I am going to bump this post (again LOL). Does anyone out there have any new information in regards to this engine? I feel like we need to bring more attention to this issue.

The only news that I have been hearing was that it will arrive in 2019.

Last edited:

mikeavelli

Reactions
Lol, I came across this thread and I realized it is one year today since this thread was opened, but there hasn't been much information at all (hence only 4 pages).

Like many people in the forum, I am aching for a new V8. So, I am going to bump this post (again LOL). Does anyone out there have any new information in regards to this engine? I feel like we need to bring more attention to this issue.

The only news that I have been hearing was that it will arrive in 2019.

The rumor now is the new 4.4 V-8 going in the new 850Mi x drive is going into the X5 and 5 series.. this is NOT the M engine but the top V-8 engine..

In other words, BMW's V-8 in non M-cars will have around 520hp.....

Reactions
Isn't it sad that the same guy is bumping this thread for the third time 9 months later after the second time? :/

Is there still any news?

Last edited: