MM Retro-Write-Up: 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
MM Retro-Write-Up: 1996-2002 Toyota 4Runner

IN A NUTSHELL: IMO the best version of a long line of excellent truck-based SUVs.

1697324497254.png

1697324508703.png

1697324529525.png

1697324541438.png

1697324553526.png

1697324568829.png

1697324580620.png

Those of you who have followed my reviews/posts/write-ups for some time will know that I have long-felt (and my opinion is not alone) that both Toyota and Honda, with a few exceptions in their line-ups, built many of their best products in the 1990s. And, yes, both me and my family put our money where our mouths were, and practiced what we preached. I personally owned a Iris-Blue 1995 Celica ST for almost six years, and Coral-Rose color two-door 1997 Tercel for a couple of years (mostly as was a cheap commuting-car, not for show, although I loved the color). My late mother (God rest her soul) owned a light baby blue 5-door 1994 Corolla DX Wagon, which, except for a slight bit of length over her previous 1988 Mercury Tracer, fit her daily-needs perfectly….SUV/crossovers back then had not quite completely taken over from conventional wagons. She drove the Corolla wagon up until her passing in 2000. And my brother, after being extremely satisfied with his previous two-tone gray/silver 1985 Honda Civic Si hatchback with a 5-speed manual and medium-blue 1990 Mazda 323 5-speed manual, got a bare-bones teal-green 1995 Civic CX Hatchback with a 5-speed manual. The CX, of course, was stark-basic and not anywhere near the car the previous Si was (at the time, he could not afford another new Si), but it was well-built and reliable. He kept it several years, until replacing it with a 2000 Subaru Impreza because he needed AWD for winter commuting.

I never owned a 90s-vintage Camry or Accord, but they were also superb products…I’ve long-felt that the 3rd-Generation 1992-1996 Camry and the 4th-Generation 1990-1993 Accord were the finest ones ever done. I was particularly impressed when I first sampled a new Accord of that vintage….it felt and drove like it was carved out of a block of granite.

So, that sums up my family’s experience back then, but we, of course, are not alone. Both Toyota and Honda sales continued to steadily increase in the 1990s, just as they had in the 1980s, as word and reputation of their reliability spread. And, by then, the previous (and well-known) tendency of Toyota and Honda dealerships to price-gouge and treat customers poorly was also starting to abate, as good competing vehicles from other manufacturers also appeared on the market.

Such was the case with the truck-based Toyota 4Runner SUV. Called a number of names in other countries, it was known as the 4Runner in the U.S., first appearing in 1983. Unlike crossovers and paved-road-oriented SUVs, the first-generation 4Runner was a truck to the core. Relatively crude and stark inside and out, it was essentially a two-door Toyota Hilux pickup, with a (then) Ford-Bronco /Chevy-Blazer style bolt-on fiberglass roof which was attached at the factory. The rear area was open behind the front seats, but some versions did not even have seats or accommodations in the rear for passengers…they were used more for cargo and hauling things. 4WD (4-wheel-drive), of course, was standard (hence the vehicles name)…the same part-time system, with a driver-operated transfer-case, used in the pickups. The drivetrain was iron-durable whether with the in-line 4 or V6, but this generation of Toyota trucks, for several reasons, tended to rust severely in the U.S., so not many samples of them remain in drivable contain today.

The Second-Generation 4Runner (1989-1995) was a vast improvement over the first, and became a real SUV with civilized accommodations for the rear passengers…which was important, as the competing Ford Explorer and Jeep Grand Cherokee were blowing the rest of the family-SUV market away in sales. The previous body-rustling problems were generally over, and 4Runners were steadily increasing in popularity.

But, as the old saying goes, the third time is the charm, and, sure enough, that was the case with the 4Runner. Introduced in 1996, the Third-Generation model, IMO, was the version that Toyota really aced. Although I did not own one (I did not need that type of vehicle back then, several protective buyers had asked me about it, plus my own natural curiosity. I remember my first test-drive in one….although the on-pavement ride was a little stiff and truck-like for my tastes, almost everything else about it thoroughly impressed me, more-so than in any subsequent versions. Passenger accommodations, both front and rear, were quite nice and civil by truck standards, instrumentation and controls were easy to read and use, high-quality materials were used inside and out, and the drivetrain/underpinnings had the same iron-like durability as in previous versions. Many of these vehicles routinely went over 200,000 miles, and in some cases, 300,000….an old colleague from my church (who works for the press), the last time I saw him, had over 200,000 miles on his. My local Toyota dealership routinely sold them, with 175,000 miles on them, as still-perfectly-usable Previously-Owned vehicles, although, of course, with too many miles to be considered Certified-Used-Vehicles. The Third-Generation version also offered an interesting body-color I liked (Desert-Dune Metallic)…a very light Beige/Sandy color that went very well with either a Beige/Taupe or black interior.

On this Third-generation model, 4WD, of course, was standard, as with all 4Runners. Depending on trim-level (my favorite trim-level version was the SR5) a 2.7L four or 3.4L V6 was offered, along with a 4-speed automatic or 5-speed manual. Diesel versions were offered in Japan, but not here in the U.S. After 2000, only the automatic was offered in the U.S.….there would be no more 5-speed versions, as it was increasingly becoming a family-oriented SUV in the U.S. However, family-vehicle or not, it still retained its rugged, go-anywhere, off-road truck-underpinnings, and, to an extent, still does today, in 2023.

Though, as with other Toyotas, I lost some of my endearment to the Third-generation 4Runner with succeeding fourth and newer-generations, I still maintain a basic respect for this vehicle, even today. The interiors and styling today, IMO, are not up to the very nice Third-Generation standard, but it is still a non-nonsense, truck-based, body-on-frame SUV in an age when many, if not most, SUVs have switched to different unibody platforms and have become basically crossovers. 4Runners can still carry and tow a fairly hefty amount, and the ride, while still truck-like, is not as firm as in past versions, as the suspension has become more refined. And, even in an age when hybrids and full-electric vehicles are literally taking over the American new-vehicle market, Toyota shows no sign of dropping this on/off-road classic anytime soon. It will likely be around for a while, even brand-new in the showroom.

And, as Always, Happy Vehicle-Memories.:)

MM

DRIVING IS BELIEVING ;)

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I have a very soft spot for this generation of 4Runner, my step father owned one and it is the car I learned to drive in back around 1997. I dont generally like BOF SUVs, but the current generation 4Runner has really grown on me - it looks great in the sea of cute utes. The new Toyotas dark green really compliments it, very similar to BRG.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I still daily drive a 2000 4Runner with a V6 and 5spd. I also have the SR5 Sport appearance package, which was only available in 2000 (2001 and 2002 the Sport became an actual trim). I have leather interior as well, which was typically only on the Limited trims (which did not have a 5spd option). 2000 was the only year a 3rd gen could be spec’d with the options I have, and my 4Runner is a bit of a unicorn. I’ve been a part of the Toyota online community for nearly 25 years, and I’ve never seen another 3rd gen with this combo of options. It’s been a remarkably reliable vehicle, and I still DD it with almost 220k miles on it. Its age is starting to show in some areas, but I still love it.

As a side note, 1984 was the first year for the 4Runner. It had a solid front axle and carbureted 22R. 1985 had the solid front axle and fuel injected 22RE. ‘85 models were sought after for being the only year a solid axle and fuel injected engine were offered. In 1986, IFS replaced the solid axle. The 3.0, 12 valve V6 didn’t arrive until a few years later (I forget the exact year…I want to say ‘87, but might’ve been ‘88). 2nd gen 4Runner didn’t arrive until 1990 (the redesigned pickup came out in 1989 and 4Runner was a year behind).

My first vehicle was a 1990 4Runner that I bought from a friend for $2400. That was in 2000. Drove it for 10 years before buying my 3rd gen Christmas Eve of 2010.

Prior to the 4Runner, Toyota sold the Trekker, which, like the 1st gen 4Runners, were very similar to the pickup and had a removable top. I believe these were coach built. I don’t recall the exact years these were offered, but I want to say 1981-1983.

I agree with the sentiment regarding 90s Honda. Late 90s and early 2000s were probably Honda’s prime. The Civic Coupe Si, in particular, was extremely popular in the military town that I lived in at the time. They were reasonably priced cars with massive aftermarket support. Even Hotrod Magazine did a front cover spread of a modded Honda Civic Si with a flame paint job.

A friend of mine had a Acura Integra Type R with a JDM front end and some mild body mods. It was painted in NSX metallic yellow, and to this day, I would consider it one of the most tastefully modded cars I’ve ever seen. It was front cover worthy.

The 90s were good for Toyota too. MKII MR2 Turbo was fantastic, as was the Celica All-Trac. Then, of course, there was the Supra. The Tacoma was introduced, as was the 3rd gen 4Runner. The ‘90s also saw the 80 series Land Cruiser with its I6 engine, front and rear coil sprung solid axles, and triple lockers.

On the Lexus side of things, we saw the introduction of the 2JZ powered IS, which also had a 5spd option. My brother had a 2002 5spd IS, and IMO, it, along with the LFA, marked the epitome of Lexus.

Just my $02

qtb007

Follower
Reactions
I'm fairly certain that the 3rd gen came in RWD configurations. I didn't dig into the 2nd gen much when I was shopping for my first 4Runner; the G2 V6 was known to have head gasket troubles, so it wasn't considered.

My personal opinion is that Toyota gets the 4Runner "right" on the odd generations. Gen 1 is simply cool with the removable top. Gen 3 perfected the transition that Gen 2 started. Gen 5 did the same with Gen 4. Hopefully Gen 6 hits the ground running, but I can see the pattern repeating with some packaging issues coming along with hybridization (as seen by the other hybrid Toyota trucks so far). Hopefully those will be hammered out with battery miniaturization.

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
I'm fairly certain that the 3rd gen came in RWD configurations. I didn't dig into the 2nd gen much when I was shopping for my first 4Runner; the G2 V6 was known to have head gasket troubles, so it wasn't considered.

My personal opinion is that Toyota gets the 4Runner "right" on the odd generations. Gen 1 is simply cool with the removable top. Gen 3 perfected the transition that Gen 2 started. Gen 5 did the same with Gen 4. Hopefully Gen 6 hits the ground running, but I can see the pattern repeating with some packaging issues coming along with hybridization (as seen by the other hybrid Toyota trucks so far). Hopefully those will be hammered out with battery miniaturization.
Both 2nd and 3rd gens were available in RWD. My ‘90 4Runner was RWD. I’m pretty sure all 1st gen 4Runners were 4x4 though.

1st, 3rd, and 5th gen 4Runners were definitely the best. The 3.0 in the 2nd gen wasn’t a great engine. It was slow, prone to head gasket failures, and generally a pain to work on. They did not have rack and pinion steering and used a steering box and pitman arm. IFS models used torsion bars for the front suspension, unlike the coil overs on the 3rd gens.

When I bought my 2nd gen, it had 134k on it, and the PO already did the head gaskets. Mine was actually fairly problem free, aside from fuel injector, fuel line, PS pump, a couple timing belts, valve cover gaskets, knock sensors, and three radiators. Not bad for the 10 years that I owned it. It seemed like any sort of work to be done on the engine required draining the radiator and removing some coolant pipes. Sometime in ‘91 or ‘92, Toyota redesigned the entire front end of the 3.0, and it moved from a spring timing belt tensioner to hydraulic. The fan pulley bracket, water pump, timing covers, and some of coolant lines changed then too. 2nd gen had about a million vacuum hoses too, as well as a u-shaped coolant line at the back of the engine that was a pain to access and notorious for leaking.

As someone who has owned both 2nd and 3rd gens, I would never recommend a 2nd gen. 3rd gens are better in every way possible. My 3rd gen has definitely been a better vehicle.

4th gens with the V8 make pretty good trail trucks with the right mods, but otherwise, I think they’re kinda soccer mom cars.

5th gens are fantastic, and I’m considering one for my next vehicle unless rumors of a manual 6th gen end up being true.

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
9UCPQmq.jpg

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Great review, Mike. Like a few others have noted above, they were available in 4x2 (RWD).

I had one of these and we had many of them in my family over the years! It was my first 4Runner of many: 1999, 2006, 2016, 2019, and then onto GXs which I consider pretty much the same thing 😁

Here was my '99 SR5 4x4 with the Sport Package back when we called it off-roading or trail riding instead of "overlanding" :oops:😂

Picture 1583.jpg

Picture 1598.jpg

Picture 1380.jpg

The thing I remember was getting 9MPG... still the worst of any vehicle I've had. I had to eventually sell it because I could not afford that type of MPG in 2006 coming out of college. Yikes!

NomadDan

Follower
Reactions
Great review, Mike. Like a few others have noted above, they were available in 4x2 (RWD).

I had one of these and we had many of them in my family over the years! It was my first 4Runner of many: 1999, 2006, 2016, 2019, and then onto GXs which I consider pretty much the same thing 😁

Here was my '99 SR5 4x4 with the Sport Package back when we called it off-roading or trail riding instead of "overlanding" :oops:😂

View attachment 8259

View attachment 8260

View attachment 8261

The thing I remember was getting 9MPG... still the worst of any vehicle I've had. I had to eventually sell it because I could not afford that type of MPG in 2006 coming out of college. Yikes!
Dang, 9mpg is bad. My 5spd 4Runner gets 19-20 with mixed driving. Best I ever got was 23 driving across Hwy 2 at 60mph.

Och

Admirer
Reactions
If I were to get a current 4Runner, I would actually go for the 2WD version. Being so primitive and rugged, the car would probably last for decades, the only thing that could possibly kill it is rust.