Mitsubishi may not be done yet.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Mitsubishi may not be done yet in the American market. Here's a new concept that could (?) bring back the vaunted Eclipse nameplate (Eclipse cross)...though, this time, in a compact SUV form instead of a classic sport-coupe.

Not much information is available for it yet......only some scattered links and references. Here's a couple of samples.

mitsubishi_eclipse-cross_teaser_01.jpg

mitsu-concept-02.jpg

http://www.motortrend.com/news/11102...hree-quarter-3

http://autoweek.com/article/geneva-m...back-crossover

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mitsubis...oss-94563.html

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
They're certainly not done, now that the massive Renault alliance has partial ownership. Also you should see the amount of Mitsubishis on Canadian roads. It's truly mind boggling. I think Canada single-handedly has kept Mitsubishi's auto business in North America afloat.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
They're certainly not done, now that the massive Renault alliance has partial ownership. Also you should see the amount of Mitsubishis on Canadian roads. It's truly mind boggling. I think Canada single-handedly has kept Mitsubishi's auto business in North America afloat.

There may actually be some DEALERS in Canada to actually SELL Mitsubushi vehicles.......which is more than I can say for the sparse (and getting sparser) network here in the U.S.

Reactions: CIF

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
There may actually be some DEALERS in Canada to actually SELL Mitsubushi vehicles.......which is more than I can say for the sparse (and getting sparser) network here in the U.S.

Well you may be surprised to know that Mitsu dealers here in Canada are fairly sparse as well.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well you may be surprised to know that Mitsu dealers here in Canada are fairly sparse as well.

I would expect them to be sparse in vast areas of Northern and Western Canada, which are almost unpopulated. Most of Canada's population is in Ontario, along the Quebec St. Lawrence route, and in Vancouver on the West coast. There are a few cities in the Prairie provinces, but not many. And, of course, the French population in Quebec keeps threatening to secede.

But, anyhow, yes, Mitsubishi, both here in the U.S. and in Canada, seems to be steadily going the way Isuzu and Suzuki did here in the U.S. (with most of the dealerships drying up before the eventual pullout), though, as the thread title suggests, it's not dead yet.

Last edited:

Och

Admirer
Reactions
I would expect them to be sparse in vast areas of Northern and Western Canada, which are almost unpopulated. Most of Canada's population is in Ontario, along the Quebec St. Lawrence route, and in Vancouver on the West coast. There are a few cities in the Prairie provinces, but not many. And, of course, the French population in Quebec keeps threatening to secede.

But, anyhow, yes, Mitsubishi, both here in the U.S. and in Canada, seems to be steadily going the way Isuzu and Suzuki did here in the U.S. (with most of the dealerships drying up before the eventual pullout), though, as the thread title suggests, it's not dead yet.

Isuzu actually still sells trucks in USA and Suzuki still sells motorcycles and ATVs. Mitsu also has its FUSO line of trucks that are sold in USA.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Just a heads up, FUSO is now mostly owned by Daimler, so it doesn't really count. Plus years ago FUSO took a massive nosedive in reputation with the infamous quality and defect scandal that FUSO and Mitsubishi executives covered up. In terms of automobiles, it is Mitsubishi Motors specifically in charge of that.

Also aside from Mitsubishi Motors' struggles, I am still boggled at how the brand continues to do well in Canada. They don't have a dealer on every corner like some of the competition. There is nothing really exemplary or class leading with regards to Mitsubishi models. Styling is not very original, and is a copy of a couple of other brands. I mean aside from the warranty, what else compels Canadians to buy Mitsubishi vehicles? I truly do not know. I have asked around, researched myself, and I am at a loss to explain why the brand continues to do well in Canada. Could it be the fairly affordable prices? Sure, but I mean many of the domestic brands also have affordable prices, not to mention Hyundai and Kia have some very affordable models. Unless it is some very strange line of thought where these buyers are cross-shopping with Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Nissan and for whatever reason either don't like the prices, or the styling, and somehow may think that "all Japanese brands are great" so they end up getting a Mitsubishi, which is the cheapest Japanese auto brand in Canada on average.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Isuzu actually still sells trucks in USA and Suzuki still sells motorcycles and ATVs. Mitsu also has its FUSO line of trucks that are sold in USA.

Yes, I knew Suzuki has a huge line of motorcycles Mitsubishi did the FUSO line, but I had forgotten about the Isuzu American-market trucks. I have seen a few of then running around my area, though. How they manage to compete with the line of Ford, Chevy, and Dodge/Ram commercial trucks beats me.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Just a heads up, FUSO is now mostly owned by Daimler, so it doesn't really count. Plus years ago FUSO took a massive nosedive in reputation with the infamous quality and defect scandal that FUSO and Mitsubishi executives covered up. In terms of automobiles, it is Mitsubishi Motors specifically in charge of that.

Also aside from Mitsubishi Motors' struggles, I am still boggled at how the brand continues to do well in Canada. They don't have a dealer on every corner like some of the competition. There is nothing really exemplary or class leading with regards to Mitsubishi models. Styling is not very original, and is a copy of a couple of other brands. I mean aside from the warranty, what else compels Canadians to buy Mitsubishi vehicles? I truly do not know. I have asked around, researched myself, and I am at a loss to explain why the brand continues to do well in Canada. Could it be the fairly affordable prices? Sure, but I mean many of the domestic brands also have affordable prices, not to mention Hyundai and Kia have some very affordable models. Unless it is some very strange line of thought where these buyers are cross-shopping with Toyota, Honda, Subaru and Nissan and for whatever reason either don't like the prices, or the styling, and somehow may think that "all Japanese brands are great" so they end up getting a Mitsubishi, which is the cheapest Japanese auto brand in Canada on average.

I think you've hit on something with the low starting prices. But that still won't work if there aren't enough retail-outlets to sell them.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I think you've hit on something with the low starting prices. But that still won't work if there aren't enough retail-outlets to sell them.

Well Mitsubishi must have just barely enough dealers in Canada then, since I keep seeing newer Mitsubishis daily on the roads here.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Well Mitsubishi must have just barely enough dealers in Canada then, since I keep seeing newer Mitsubishis daily on the roads here.

Just out of curiosity, what part of Canada are you in? I'd guess there are some dealers where most of the population is....Ontario, Quebec, Vancouver.