Votes: 3 75.0%
  • I hate all cars. I hate polls. Why am I here

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I hate Michael Bay

Votes: 1 25.0%

• Total voters

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://www.miaminewtimes.com/news/m...s-stupid-to-own-a-sports-car-in-miami-8155963

Its actually a good read. Let's go more in depth on the forum.

My 2 cents as I do live in Miami and have driven a few exotics, it is a PITA, it is worry some it does feel like you cannot use the car for its true purpose. They are also not my exotic and my frame of mind isn't the same as an exotic owner who may feel very differently.

That said as a car enthusiast who sees exotics constantly in Miami, it sure is lovely to see and hear. Its much different than Atlanta. I would hate to see less exotics around, it really brings a grin to a car guys face.

But yes, being stuck in one in traffic or finding parking, PITA.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Problem is.......traffic like Miami's is becoming the norm in more and more places. Sure, you could own a car like a Lambo or other exotic in a rural, no-traffic setting, but then, finding service and repairs for it would be quite difficult.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Same (traffic) problem here in greater Bay Area of northern CA.

Exotics=weekend cars, and not uncommon here in Bay Area.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Where can you DRIVE it? I rarely take mine out anymore unless it's a track day at Homestead or a road trip on the secluded parts of the turnpike.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
I actually meant in terms of being able to drive a high performance vehicle the way it was designed to be driven.
The HP wars, which I don't agree with, are putting 455, 500, North of 700HP cars on the streets with no driving qualifications whatsoever.
I have decades of high performance driving and ownership which includes track time and professional racing schools.
I've driven Ferraris, Lamborghinis, Porsches, Corvettes, Cadillac V Series, Audi A8 V10s, Nissan GTRs, McLaren MP4-12C, Lexus IS-F - all under track conditions.
With a free market economy, any idiot with money can walk into a showroom and drive out with a deadly machine north of 600HP.
But with all the non-synchronized street lights forcing you to stop every mile or so on surface streets, high performance cars really never get used like they should.
In comparison, cars on our local interstates never designed to drive that fast in an aggressive manner are approaching and eclipsing 100mph on a regular basis on our interstates i.e. mini-vans, econoboxes, old 4-door sedans, mini junk cars (our state lacks inspections to keep the junkers with bald tires and worn brakes off the road).
I've resisted going back to a high performance 2 door sports car ever since I started driving Lexus because I realize the majority of the potential is wasted.
Would ♡ to own a Stingray Corvette, Shelby Mustang, Camaro SS, Porsche GT3, RCF but I drive 10 miles per day RT to work and it's pointless to pay for something that sits in a parking lot all day.
I love the uniqueness of my V8 powered sports car, the glass shattering exhaust rumble, the ability to pull away from a light at embarrassingly fast speeds, but it isn't practical in any way for a daily driver.
I pray the spineless, brainless morons running this country never rob us of the liberty to drive exactly what we want to drive, but the bumper to bumper traffic and exponential increase in automobiles on the road don't lend itself to opening up any high performance car 'round here.
Hence most exotic car owners cruising South Beach at a snails pace on weekends.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I actually meant in terms of being able to drive a high performance vehicle the way it was designed to be driven.
The HP wars, which I don't agree with, are putting 455, 500, North of 700HP cars on the streets with no driving qualifications whatsoever.
I have decades of high performance driving and ownership which includes track time and professional racing schools.

Since you bring up the subject of high-powered cars for public sale without any driving qualifications (which, BTW, I agree with you on...it's a risky buisness), I won't ask you your age (it's none of my business)...but if you are old enough to remember the original-generation Chrysler 426 Hemis (I am) , Chrysler would not sell the full dual-quad-carb versions (425 HP, 490 ft-lbs. of torque) unless the buyer showed evidence of taking professional driving or racing courses. You could get the single 4-barrel version (365 HP) with no questions, but not the dragster. Ford and Chevy (at least to my knowledge) did not follow suit with their big 427s, 428s, and 429s.

More recently, though, some manufacturers have been offering driving courses with the sale of certain new high-performance cars. It is not mandatory, but offered to the buyer if desired (and my guess is that it lowers the insurance on them).

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My 2 cents as I do live in Miami and have driven a few exotics, it is a PITA, it is worry some it does feel like you cannot use the car for its true purpose. They are also not my exotic and my frame of mind isn't the same as an exotic owner who may feel very differently.

That said as a car enthusiast who sees exotics constantly in Miami, it sure is lovely to see and hear. Its much different than Atlanta. I would hate to see less exotics around, it really brings a grin to a car guys face.

But yes, being stuck in one in traffic or finding parking, PITA.

Congratulations. :) I didn't know you had moved south from Atlanta.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Do you have any problems getting insurance for it?
Collector Car Insurance. All you have to do is prove you have other automobiles for the daily commute (the two Lexus fall in here). They increase the value every year to adjust for inflation. Quite affordable.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
Since you bring up the subject of high-powered cars for public sale without any driving qualifications (which, BTW, I agree with you on...it's a risky buisness), I won't ask you your age (it's none of my business)...but if you are old enough to remember the original-generation Chrysler 426 Hemis (I am) , Chrysler would not sell the full dual-quad-carb versions (425 HP, 490 ft-lbs. of torque) unless the buyer showed evidence of taking professional driving or racing courses. You could get the single 4-barrel version (365 HP) with no questions, but not the dragster. Ford and Chevy (at least to my knowledge) did not follow suit with their big 427s, 428s, and 429s.

More recently, though, some manufacturers have been offering driving courses with the sale of certain new high-performance cars. It is not mandatory, but offered to the buyer if desired (and my guess is that it lowers the insurance on them).

Heh, no sorry, before my time.

My earliest recollections were lusting for a 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455SD. Hence I drove them til they killed them off in 2002.

I was the only non-Corvette owner (and considerably youngest) who paid at the Ron Fellows Corvette Racing School in Pahrump, NV last year.
All owners get the school. Viper does the same. Most likely other high performance manufacturers do the same.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My earliest recollections were lusting for a 1973 Pontiac Trans Am 455SD. Hence I drove them til they killed them off in 2002.

After 1970, due to several factors, the 60s-vintage American muscle cars began what was effectively a march into oblivion. The T/A was arguably the only one that survived that awful decade with anything even approaching a real performance engine. A close friend of mine in Maryland has an original 1979 black/gold Smokey and the Bandit version with the Olds-sourced 403/4-speed manual in it...some of them that year had the smaller Pontiac-sourced 301. He drives it to local vintage car shows, and it still wins awards.

I was the only non-Corvette owner (and considerably youngest) who paid at the Ron Fellows Corvette Racing School in Pahrump, NV last year.

Yeah, I've heard of it. Good school.

All owners get the school. Viper does the same. Most likely other high performance manufacturers do the same.

BMW does for new M owners, but I think it's optional, not standard. Might be wrong on that, though.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
It was always my dream to go to a racing school. Spring Mountain was highly endorsed by a now former GM executive and former GM racing team driver.
In the far off future, if I ever have the discretionary income again, I'd like to do the Porsche school at Barber Motorsports Park. MB AMG looked alright but Porsche has more high performance driving choices. I've already driven a GT3 and 997 Turbo under track conditions.
I did the one day Cadillac CTS-V school with Andy Pilgrim a few years ago at Palm Beach International Raceway.
Ron Fellows worked out easy because I was already in Vegas for the SEMA Show.
I used to go to the Lexus events around South Florida, but I don't see them anymore.
Was upset when they ran the RCF Ride and Drive two years ago and I didn't get invited.
I've owned/leased a 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and now a pair of 2015 Lexus automobiles and their marketing to someone with my brand loyalty is garbage.