Memory Lane: The First Lexus You Drove

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
A post from @mmcartalk in the Kelley Blue Book thread got me thinking -- let's spend some time remembering the first Lexus we ever drove.

I'll start -- it was a yellow IS 300 way back in 2000. My girlfriend (and future wife) had arranged the test drive on my birthday. One of my favorite all-time memories, especially after the salesperson almost killed all of us showing off.

car-pictures.cars.png

What was the first Lexus you drove?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Same here, Krew.....a yellow 2001 IS300. Kept it almost five years. Mine looked just like that, except for six-spoke 16" wheels /all-season tires, no deck-spoiler, and no sunroof (just the way I wanted it). I saw one at the D.C. Auto show in 2001 and loved it. The chrome-ball shifter, chronograph-gauges, and paint really sold me. Overall, an excellent car, built like a tank,....though it had some quirks in the transmission-ECU, air-intake source in the climate-control, and in the way the shift-pattern for the lever was designed......I won't go into all of the details here. Still, the only repair it needed in five years (besides a factory ECU flash-update) was a new fog-lamp under warranty. With the traction control, snow-mode for the transmission, and all-season tires, it could (sometimes) hack it in soft or packed snow or slush, but the RWD was almost worthless on a truly icy road....that's why I ended up getting a Subaru Outback.

Reactions
i will be definitely showing my age here, but my first lexus I ever drove was my 2015 RX 8).

Has been a good car to me thus far, but am leasing it. I'm glad to no longer have the issues that I was already experiencing with my 2012 Infiniti EX. I would have gotten rid of that thing as soon as it got paid off, so the 3 year lease saved me close to $4k over the term from that perspective.

The RX was a no brainer for me in terms of value given that my dealer was pretty much giving them away last year. I was quoted $0 down 3 year lease deals on the GLK and Q5 that were upwards of $700-800/mo (thanks Texas for making me pay sales tax on full purchase price). Lexus gave me not only tax credits, but paid my first month's payment at that -- making the price about 60% less than the competitors I was looking at and not to mention giving me a more spacious vehicle.

RAL

Reactions
After two Avalons, I test drove a 2007 ES 350 in early August 2006. But it was a handwritten note from the sales manager of Lexus of Louisville thanking me for the test drive 2 weeks later that brought me back to buy my first Lexus. They have made us feel like family since then ... and that is one of the many reasons why I have become a Lexus enthusiast for life! While I love my current ES, I still wish I had "Obsidian" :cool: ...

DSC01654.jpg

Brooks2IS

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus has played a huge role in my life. A long-time family friend of ours was the General Manager of the first Lexus dealer in Alabama- Tom Williams Lexus in Birmingham from 1989-1999. Because of this, my grandparents drove exclusively Lexus since the early 1990's-- I often say that the better part of my childhood was spent in the backseat of their 1995 LS400. Furthermore, the first car I ever drove was a Lexus-- my mother's 2006 GX470. My first car was/is nothing less than a Lexus, the 2008 IS250. I have no reason to believe Lexus will become a smaller part of my life, at least in the near future:D

James

Founding Member
Reactions
It was my mums car. 2005 Lexus RX 330. I learned to drive with that and a Toyota Camry. Then my dad bought an ES 330 and for the better part of my childhood driving experience I drove both of those cars mostly to tennis trips and on weekends. Solid cars that are still with my parents and they both have over 160,000 miles on them. My parents buying that first RX had made me into the Lexus Enthusiast I am today. There are faster cars than Lexus. More fun to drive cars than Lexus (until very recently!). But I will always choose Lexus. Lexus is in my blood just like my favorite sports teams. I am proud to love Lexus and I am very excited to own my first one with my fiancé/wife here in a few short months.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
It was my mums car. 2005 Lexus RX 330. I learned to drive with that and a Toyota Camry. Then my dad bought an ES 330 and for the better part of my childhood driving experience I drove both of those cars mostly to tennis trips and on weekends. Solid cars that are still with my parents and they both have over 160,000 miles on them. My parents buying that first RX had made me into the Lexus Enthusiast I am today. There are faster cars than Lexus. More fun to drive cars than Lexus (until very recently!). But I will always choose Lexus. Lexus is in my blood just like my favorite sports teams. I am proud to love Lexus and I am very excited to own my first one with my fiancé/wife here in a few short months.

I'm still convinced, even today, that the 4th-generation ES (2001-2006), especially in how they did the interior and overall ride comfort, was the best ES ever done, though some versions of that generation had some quirks with throttle/transmission ECU programming, with flash-updates. But Lexus really spent some cash on that interior.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I was 18, test driving a 1992 ES 300 Manual back in 1996...Its funny this thread came up as my mom told the story the other day, we were in the car with the salesman and I got stuck on the train tracks stalling out with the manual with an oncoming train and the gates coming down...at the last moment my mom screams "YOU BETTER MOVE THIS CAR" and I got in gear and sped off hahahahahaha..

Amazingly, the ES is still with us in Atlanta, I will never sell that car...its what started it all for me..glad to be part of the Lexus Enthusiast movement!

1ES_300_5-speed_0039.jpg

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I was 18, test driving a 1992 ES 300 Manual back in 1996...Its funny this thread came up as my mom told the story the other day, we were in the car with the salesman and I got stuck on the train tracks stalling out with the manual with an oncoming train is coming and the gates are coming down...at the last moment my mom screams "YOU BETTER MOVE THIS CAR" and I got in gear and sped off hahahahahaha..

Amazingly, the ES is still with us in Atlanta, I will never sell that car...its what started it all for me..glad to be part of the Lexus Enthusiast movement!

View attachment 1408

I'll bet they didn't sell many sticks that year..especially in the American market.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
My Lexus love predates my driving or owning one. I got a call in the summer of 1994 that a friend of mine was starting a company with some other guys he'd met and he wanted to hire me. They flew me out to Orlando where they were, and when we got out to the airport garage there was a gorgeous week-old red SC300. Lexus was barely on my radar at that time and I'd never seen an SC in person, but seeing and riding in that SC made driving a Lexus a serious goal.

Fast-forward 8 years and I finally got there in 2002, in the form of a black GS300 with a tan leather interior, nav, and the Mark Levinson stereo. I'd planned to test drive a 5 Series but the rude local dealer put the kibosh on that. That GS became a series of LSes, most recently a 2015 LS460 AWD. I got a longer-than-usual lease on the '15 with the goal of my next LS being *the* next LS. The LF-FC looks more stunning in every new picture, and I can't wait to drive the production version.

Last edited:

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I'm still not old enough to drive, but my dad bought a 2006 RX 330 and I was spoiled for life. Our previous car was a Chevy Lumina, so this was a dramatic change. The interior could be compared to that of a RAV4 with leather seats, but still I just loved it and my dad always praised its reliability. I started doing Wikipedia research on the legacy of the brand when I was 10, and I totally fell in love with the IS F and LFA. I also became a bigger enthusiast when my friend was showing off because he had the old C-Class and I said I'd rather have an IS and they started laughing saying that Lexus can't even be compared to Benz. That got me mad at how Lexus was a superior brand to Benz IMO, the German companies get all the love since they are the best cars to make you look rich. I really want my first car to be a Lexus but there are no more new Lexus cars that have a stick-shift, and I really want an MT as my first car, and it has to be under 20k. I want an MT because it is my dream to become a professional race car driver for Lexus! So even though I have three more years, I really want my first car to be a Toyota 86/Scion FR-S/Subaru BRZ since it fits my criteria and is a great car for tuning and handles very well. I even saw a body kit for the 86 that gives it a spindle grille! I really want Lexus to build a Luxury version of the car to compete with the Audi TT. An ideal name would be Lexus TC. A TC F could compete with the Cayman! Sorry for going so off-topic from the purpose of this thread :)

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
The first Lexus I drove was my IS. We bought it new in 2004 and it was the first Lexus in my family. After I got my learner’s permit my dad took me out to learn how to drive stick on it, so it was actually the first manual transmission car I drove too. This was in 2006. Now, 10 years later, there are 4 Lexus’ in the driveway and the IS is my daily. Like you Mike, I don’t see myself ever selling this car.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
My Lexus love predates my driving or owning one. I got a call in the summer of 1994 that a friend of mine was starting a company with some other guys he'd met and he wanted to hire me. They flew me out to Orlando where they were, and when we got out to the airport garage there was a gorgeous week-old red SC300. Lexus was barely on my radar at that time and I'd never seen an SC in person, but seeing and riding in that SC made driving a Lexus a serious goal.

Yes, the 1Gen SC series was a real treat to one's eyes.......arguably (depends on some subjectivity) the best-looking vehicle Lexus has ever done.

Last edited:

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
I was 18, test driving a 1992 ES 300 Manual back in 1996...Its funny this thread came up as my mom told the story the other day, we were in the car with the salesman and I got stuck on the train tracks stalling out with the manual with an oncoming train and the gates coming down...at the last moment my mom screams "YOU BETTER MOVE THIS CAR" and I got in gear and sped off hahahahahaha..

:cold_sweat::joy:

Yikes, that's hilarious -- trial by fire!

Reactions
We've had three Lexuses come through my family. Our first one was a 93 LS400, which we got while I was in HS. We had it for 13 years until I sold the car (for my folks) to a technician working for Lexus dealer at the time. It was still running well, but things get expensive once they do go bad, and obviously the guy buying our LS could do all the stuff himself being a Lexus tech.

I was able to drive the LS during the time I had my permit, and even had seat time driving our family when we had a trip to the Grand Canyon in the late 90s. We've moved on to a 1st gen RX, and then a third gen RX Hybrid that we have now.

Last edited:

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
"Oh Lawd, here we go agin"

I was raised on a strict diet of General Motors. Everything had 2 doors and a V-8. Each successive car became more powerful until I topped off with my 14.5 year old Firehawk Trans Am, a limited production, numbered vehicle matching that year's Corvette HP for HP.
I would have scorned anyone not driving an American car up to the point I needed a 4-door sedan as a daily driver.
After comparing every luxury brand with an open mind looking for an affordable lease payment (I haven't purchased a car since 2001. I only lease. ), I happened upon a 2006 Lexus ES330 in Blue Shale, gray leather interior and 17" chrome Lexus wheels. Stunning to look at.
The first time ever a Japanese car entered my life.
And suddenly, I GOT IT.
I finally understood after so many years why people buy Japanese cars. I saw the fit and finish. I felt the power and smoothness of a seamless transmission. I enjoyed the Lexus experience. We kept that car 42 months by extending an additional 6 and it not only opened my eyes, it completely convinced me of the power of Lexus to completely change my taste in automobiles and earn my loyal devotion.
That lead to having two Lexus automobiles on the property with successive purchases of a 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and the pair of 2015's that I have now.
Lexus has been nothing short of a pure pleasure to own and to drive over the past nine years, from showroom to service, and I only shop at J.M. Lexus, the number one volume Lexus dealer in the world.
From that leap of faith in 2006 to today over eight consecutive Lexus automobiles, I regret none, and can't foresee leaving the brand under any circumstances at this time.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I was raised on a strict diet of General Motors. Everything had 2 doors and a V-8. Each successive car became more powerful until I topped off with my 14.5 year old Firehawk Trans Am, a limited production, numbered vehicle matching that year's Corvette HP for HP.

Ah, the Firehawk. It was considered somewhat of a bargain, and more muted-looking, essentially offering Trans-Am power without all of the ornate trim and the Chicken-on-the-Hood.

I GOT IT.
I finally understood after so many years why people buy Japanese cars. I saw the fit and finish. I felt the power and smoothness of a seamless transmission. I enjoyed the Lexus experience. We kept that car 42 months by extending an additional 6 and it not only opened my eyes, it completely convinced me of the power of Lexus to completely change my taste in automobiles and earn my loyal devotion.
That lead to having two Lexus automobiles on the property with successive purchases of a 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014 and the pair of 2015's that I have now.
Lexus has been nothing short of a pure pleasure to own and to drive over the past nine years, from showroom to service, and I only shop at J.M. Lexus, the number one volume Lexus dealer in the world.
From that leap of faith in 2006 to today over eight consecutive Lexus automobiles, I regret none, and can't foresee leaving the brand under any circumstances at this time.

Most of what you say is correct, but what is interesting, though, is that, just a couple of years after the time you indicate, American-designed vehicles, especially after the bailouts, began to improve dramatically. Still, I agree with you that, once you find a vehicle-line and/or a dealership that satisfies you and meets your needs. it (usually) pays to stick with them. Me...my problem is that my needs and wants often change LOL.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
The Firehawk was actually the highest level of Trans Am available. And the most expensive. It was only produced for 10 years and never more than 1500 in a year. That's why I've held onto it all these years since I took delivery in 2001.02Firehawk15_6007n.jpg

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
I'm different than most of you as my first Lexus drive was in a IS 300 but I wasn't impressed. It seemed small and odd inside and a heck of a lot of money for what seemed like a fairly small car. However, When I got my first look at a new IS 250, it blew me away and my test drive confirmed that it was not only well built and ultra luxurious, but it had unbelievable handling. Consequently I bought a 2008 IS 250 AWD and enjoyed every minute of owneship with it and our two subsequent Lexuses.

Reactions: RAL