Mazda keeps filling patents for a sports car chassis

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

An aluminium spaceframe chassis with double wishbone suspension at both ends.

Why Mazda keeps filling these patents even though they don't seem to have the intention to make a new sports car that sits above the MX-5?

maiaramdan

Expert
Reactions
Customers may thought that Mazda had no intentions to do it
But today even Toyota will have 4 sporty cars in it's brand portfolio
And as Mazda want to go to be premium
The sporty cars will be needed!

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions
Customers may thought that Mazda had no intentions to do it
But today even Toyota will have 4 sporty cars in it's brand portfolio
And as Mazda want to go to be premium
The sporty cars will be needed!
I agree, a halo car is necessary to further improve Mazda's brand image. I really hope this sports car makes it into production.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
The irony is that although a sporty flagship may be necessary for a premium brand, Mazda may not be able to afford to build one. Mazda wants to be a premium brand because profits are higher for premium brands and Mazda desperately needs higher profits to stay alive as an independent automaker.

Since Big Brother Ford left, Mazda has been left with little resources and the automaking business is an expensive business to be in. Designing and building new engines and new automotive platforms is very expensive and Mazda is better known for its engines. I don't know what resources it has to also design a new RWD/AWD platform.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
They don't have a powertrain designed for sports cars...nor can they afford to develop one. Their most powerful engine today makes 250hp. It's unrealistic to expect they still have the know-how to build high performance powertrains when they haven't done so for 20 years.

joepac

Fan
Reactions
They don't have a powertrain designed for sports cars...nor can they afford to develop one. Their most powerful engine today makes 250hp. It's unrealistic to expect they still have the know-how to build high performance powertrains when they haven't done so for 20 years.
They're in a tough spot for sure but if the rumors are true, their partnership with Lexus/Toyota may be why they are pushing this. Lexus/Toyota gets Mazda to build a FR platform with new ICEs that Lexus/Toyota doesn't have to spend too much R&D money on but will have access to (*cough*Supra) while they transition to PHEV and BEVs and Mazda gets a shot of adrenaline... It may not be the salvation of Mazda in the long run and they may fade away eventually but looking forward to what they can come up with in the next 5 years... But sadly they may become the next Saab or <insert another historic but now defunct car company here>

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
They're in a tough spot for sure but if the rumors are true, their partnership with Lexus/Toyota may be why they are pushing this. Lexus/Toyota gets Mazda to build a FR platform with new ICEs that Lexus/Toyota doesn't have to spend too much R&D money on but will have access to (*cough*Supra) while they transition to PHEV and BEVs and Mazda gets a shot of adrenaline... It may not be the salvation of Mazda in the long run and they may fade away eventually but looking forward to what they can come up with in the next 5 years... But sadly they may become the next Saab or <insert another historic but now defunct car company here>
I am not convinced that it will be a Mazda platform. Mazda's expertise is engines, and Mazda has spent a lot of resources on the SkyActiv-X engine (and its unique-to-Mazda 24 volt mild hybrid system), as well as its new Inline-6 engine (and probably longitudinal transmission as well, as I believe that it is unlikely that Mazda will buy a transmission from another automaker).

If it still has money left to develop a new RWD/AWD platform, it is then in much better financial shape that I believe it is.

carguy420

Admirer
Reactions

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
So they will develop their own Skyactiv-EV platform for 2025, when they can already use one in 2022 (E-TNGA). They are developing a 48V mild-hybrid when it's already obsolete technology and they already have full-hybrid tech offered to them for free since 6 years ago. They will be out of Chinese market for not having a single hybrid or EV after investing hundreds of millions on a production line that sells a few thousand cars a year. There's so much wasteful development going on at Mazda. Doing things in house just for the sake of doing it. The company looks like it's in a mess because all the things they've done are so anachronistic.

Last edited:

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
So they will develop their own Skyactiv-EV platform for 2025, when they can already use one in 2022 (E-TNGA).
Is the SkyActiv-EV platform proprietary and unique to Mazda or is it Mazda's branding of the Toyota e-TNGA platform that will also be used by other small Japanese automakers? I thought that Mazda had agreed to use e-TNGA?

They are developing a 48V mild-hybrid when it's already obsolete technology and they already have full-hybrid tech offered to them for free since 6 years ago.
48V mild-hybrid technology has been commodified and available from a number of automotive suppliers. Why reinvent the wheel?

They will be out of Chinese market for not having a single hybrid or EV after investing hundreds of millions on a production line that sells a few thousand cars a year. There's so much wasteful development going on at Mazda. Doing things in house just for the sake of doing it. The company looks like it's in a mess because all the things they've done are so anachronistic.
So, while even much larger automakers with much greater resources (Ford comes to mind and the newest conglomerate Stellantis) are seeking partnerships or merging to reduce the development costs and risks of new powertrain technologies, and increase sales in otherwise new areas of the world, Mazda stubbornly insists on going it alone.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
This rumor/trademark information was making me excited for next gen IS/RC, as there were earlier rumors about those cars using this Mazda platform... but there are a lot of good points here about what is really feasible for Mazda.

There's still a lot up in the air:
- Will the IS live for next generation?
- Will the RC live for next generation?
- Is Toyota/Lexus actually developing a next-gen RWD platform to replace GA-L/GA-N? Or is Toyota happy with both despite rumors?
- Does Mazda have the chops to go upmarket like this with a midsize RWD sedan? Can they still make that business case in this market?
- What happened to Mazda's I6... is that going into this coupe?

It just makes sense to me for Mazda and Toyota to try to join forces on RWD ventures because the use case for RWD/ICE is rapidly vanishing across the market with electrification, AWD and rising costs to blame. If Toyota and Mazda can make a business case with IS, RC, a midsize Mazda coupe, a midsize sedan and maybe a Supra, I think that's great.... but that is still a very hard sell in this market. They need an SUV or three to put on this architecture but Toyota seems pretty set on FWD-based with AWD/Direct4.

Next few months and years will be interesting.

bogglo

Admirer
Reactions
The car market for 2022 and 2023 will be amazing. The used market wont be bad either with following cars being released
IS 500
Acura Type S
Nissan Z
Supra
Subaru WRX

mikeavelli

Reactions
Surely the issue is the heart says built a coupe or sport sedan but the data shows you gotta build another ugly raised crossover and make a 4 door crossover coupe while you at it since that’s what people who aren’t cool think is cool.