Mazda CX 70

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
Since no one has posted about it yet, Mazda just unveiled the CX 70. This car has been anticipated for nearly two years with its launch being delayed from 2023 to 2024. Yesterday, car YouTubers probably flooded your feed with the first look at the new suv. Many Mazda fans including myself were expecting this to be shorter version of the CX 90 that slotted below the CX 90 and above the CX 5 in terms of price and size. To much surprise, the vehicle seems to be identical to the CX 90 in every way with the reduction of a third row though no official specs about the car have been released. Mazda claims they decided to create a new nameplate instead of offering the vehicle as a separate trim due to customers being confused at the number of trims being offered in the CX 90, and the vehicle will be marketed to a different audience. The release has me questioning so much, but I'm curious what everyone else thinks.

mediumhot

Follower
Reactions
Not sure this was the original plan. Either they hit some tooling/financial struggle with manufacturing two vehicles with two different physical variations, which was nonsense to begin with or CX-90 exceeded the expectations. Since day one the talk was both CX60/CX70 and CX90/CX80 are to be twins with different widths. And then something has changed up. Australia is the only market that got both CX-60 and CX90 and will get CX-80 as well. That was a dead giveaway that something was off with CX-70.

I guess we'll never know. But I'm not buying the story of CX-70 being a marketing game. Even ill fated MX-30 didn't get a marketing revamp for it's PHEV version which would make a lot more sense to salvage the MX-30 badge

Reactions
Not sure this was the original plan. Either they hit some tooling/financial struggle with manufacturing two vehicles with two different physical variations, which was nonsense to begin with or CX-90 exceeded the expectations. Since day one the talk was both CX60/CX70 and CX90/CX80 are to be twins with different widths. And then something has changed up. Australia is the only market that got both CX-60 and CX90 and will get CX-80 as well. That was a dead giveaway that something was off with CX-70.

I guess we'll never know. But I'm not buying the story of CX-70 being a marketing game. Even ill fated MX-30 didn't get a marketing revamp for it's PHEV version which would make a lot more sense to salvage the MX-30 badge
Yeah I'm quite disappointed too. A lot of people were looking for a Japanese BMW X3 but this is just a CX-90 with two rows. If only a certain Japanese luxury brand that sounds like Alexis would have the gravitas to do something like that. One can only dream...

Also... if this is the CX-70, then what the hell is the CX-80 going to be?

Reactions
There's been significant backlash / bad press for Mazda and the CX-70 reveal, because the car is not what Mazda led people, and the automotive influncer / press cohort in particular, to believe it would be.

The product plan as of four or so years ago was to plug the lineup gap in the US left by the long-gone CX-7 with an Americanized CX-60. Something changed along the way -- some failure of nerve or lack of money -- but Mazda never reset expectations, just went ominously silent about the CX-70 for all of last year. On reveal day Car & Driver actually called the CX-70 "deceptive" and "hare-brained," so, not exactly a home run with the opinion-makers.

The silence should have tipped us off -- it's like when a movie studio declines to hold critic's previews for a movie it fears is a turkey.

At the very least Mazda should have refrained from labeling the CX-70 "all new" and "first-ever." It's a decontented CX-90, about 96% not new. I am a Mazda fan and prior owner, and was rooting for a smaller vehicle; after seeing the CX-70, however, that CX-7 hole in the Mazda lineup is as neglected as ever, and I am shopping for a Lexus NX.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
I believe the issue with making a widebody US market CX60 is it would clash with the midsize CX-50 size wise.
I do not think so. I believe that there is still space between the CX-50 and the CX-90 for a CX-60-sized 2-row crossover.

The CX-50 is more of a compact crossover, closer in size to (though somewhat larger than) the RAV4. The CX-60 / CX-70 / CX-90 are mid-/large-size crossovers, competing against the (Crown Signia) / Highlander / Grand Highlander.

Trob20

Fan
Reactions
I believe the issue with making a widebody US market CX60 is it would clash with the midsize CX-50 size wise.
Mazda has trademarked the CX-60 and CX-80 in the US, so the CX-60 could end up being the replacement for CX-5. I'd welcome that.

mikeavelli

Reactions
@Gecko and I were chatting about it and it hit me when I realized the rear roofline was the same. Makes little sense to me but a simple name change could make the general consumer happy.

Maybe a significant MMC is being planned.

Gor134

Admirer
Reactions
Looks so awkward. But I guess the same customers that liked the awkward stretched CX5 called CX8 will like this awkward stretched CX70 called CX80.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
Awkward exterior proportions for sure. Looking at the straight-on side view in the second video, the windows make it look like the roofline goes sharply down in back but it actually doesn't. If the windows stayed the same height further back it wouldn't be so awkward.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
Looks so awkward. But I guess the same customers that liked the awkward stretched CX5 called CX8 will like this awkward stretched CX70 called CX80.
The CX-80 is not a stretched CX-70. The CX-70 is just a CX-90 with the 3rd-row removed, so it is the same size as the CX-90.

The North American-market CX-90 (and therefore CX-70 also) is larger -- longer and wider -- than the rest-of-world CX-80.

The odd styling of the CX-80 may make it seem larger than the CX-70 but then, the looks are deceiving.

Sulu

Expert
Reactions
No disagreement from me, what with single-numerical and double-numerical digit CXs with little size differentiation.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I’ve seen a few whatever they call them around and it looks like a luxury product. Saw one in traffic around a mdx and rx and it looked the part.

I really like it.