LTA option for RXL?

Reactions
Is it true (for 2019) that the Toyota Corolla will have LTA (lane tracing assist), but the Lexus RX will not?

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Welcome to the forums, RXLorMDX.

Is it true (for 2019) that the Toyota Corolla will have LTA (lane tracing assist), but the Lexus RX will not?
Yes, sad and illogical as that sounds. The reason for this is that LTA functionality is seemingly something that needs to be integrated from scratch in a vehicle's engineering and design. In other words, I have yet to see a Toyota or Lexus vehicle in which LTA has been added in the middle of the model cycle. The 2019 Toyota Corolla Hatchback just happens to be all-new, and at that point LTA functionality was added.

At present, only Lexus' 3 newest model lines (5th-gen LS, 7th-gen ES and UX) include LTA as part of what is variably referred to as the Lexus Safety System+ A or 2.0. The current 4th-generation RX is just past the middle of its life cycle. Will it break precedent and become the first Lexus to add LSS+A/2.0 at its mid-life facelift (due sometime between March and June of this year)? Perhaps, but it's highly doubtful and a long shot. It's far more likely that the RX will have to wait until its 5th generation rolls around in late 2021 (2022 model year) to gain LTA functionality.

Reactions
Thank you for such a thoughtful and detailed response. Silly me, I thought if the Corolla had the upgraded safety feature (LTA 2.0) then, of course, the brand new 2019 Lexus RXL will have it. What a shock! Thanks again Joaquin!!

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
Is LTA different from LKA (Lane Keeping Assist)?
Apparently, yes. What I think are good sources of information are PDF documents linked from the Lexus USA consumer site that explain Lexus Safety System+ and Lexus Safety System+ 2.0

From the former:

LANE DEPARTURE ALERT with STEERING ASSIST and LANE KEEP ASSIST
Standard: GS 2016-9 / GS F 2016-19 / LS 2018 / RX 2016-9 / LC 2018-19

This system is only a driver assist function, and will deactivate when the driver is not holding the steering wheel and steering.

- The system assists the driver with some of the steering operations necessary for staying in the current visibly marked lane while the Dynamic Radar Cruise Control* is on.

- Using the DISP switch on the steering wheel, the Lane Center Assist for the Lane Keep Assist can be activated or deactivated on the customization display of the Multi- information Display.

* When Dynamic Radar Cruise Control is not in operation, the Lane Keep Assist function does not operate either.

And the latter:

LANE TRACING ASSIST
Availability: LS 2019 | ES 2019 | UX 2019

Lane Tracing Assist is designed to work with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control to keep the vehicle centered in its visibly marked lane and preemptively avoid unintented lane departures.

Lane Tracing Assist uses a forward-facing camera to monitor lane markings – as well as the path of the vehicle ahead, if needed – and is designed to automatically make constant steering inputs to help keep the vehicle centered in its lane. Lane Tracing Assist requires the driver's hands to remain on the steering wheel.

Reactions
It can be confusing. I have a 2019 NX and the LKA works without the radar cruise control on.

Seems like LTA is a more advanced form of LKA.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
It can be confusing. I have a 2019 NX and the LKA works without the radar cruise control on.
To further add to the confusion, notice that my post above does NOT mention NX as one of the Lexus model lines with LKA. Rather, what your NX has (as well as IS, RC and previous-get ES) is Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (but without LKA). You are correct in that LDA (what you actually have on your NX) works without the Radar Cruise Control.

Seems like LTA is a more advanced form of LKA.
Correct. Think of it as an ascending stepladder that, depending on model, offers 4 levels of capability, as follows:

LDA (LX)
LDA + SA (IS, 6ES, RC, RC F, NX)
LDA + SA + LKA (GS, GS F, 2018 LS, LC, RX)
LKA (7ES, 2019 LS, UX)