lowering 2nd gen is250 awd.

Reactions
I have a 2009 Lexus is250 awd (GSE25). I've been wanting to lower it but all i get from other forums / posts is that you cant lower the AWD model , and if you do you get vibrations and possible damage to CV boots and other drivetrain components . i suppose the best option would be to opt for coilovers and I've had two brands in mind, BCracing BR-Series coil overs or Megan Racing EZ II street . with that in mind i have a few questions that id like help with before i dive into this .

1: are the AWD versions of the coilovers listed above any different from their RWD counterparts? And if so are they designed with the common problems in mind and are engineered differently to counter those problems?
2: If the problems are unavoidable are there any other mods that can be done to remedy them?
3: have any of you used the coilovers i mentioned in your AWD is250's? if so did you encounter any problem with vibrations, driveshaft, boots, etc?

any information would help, thank you .

RAL

Reactions
Welcome Kevcollad
Though I cannot speak to your questions, I would think some of our members can.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Why would you want to lower it? It already sits quite low to the ground to start with.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have a 2009 Lexus is250 awd (GSE25). I've been wanting to lower it but all i get from other forums / posts is that you cant lower the AWD model , and if you do you get vibrations and possible damage to CV boots and other drivetrain components . i suppose the best option would be to opt for coilovers and I've had two brands in mind, BCracing BR-Series coil overs or Megan Racing EZ II street . with that in mind i have a few questions that id like help with before i dive into this .

1: are the AWD versions of the coilovers listed above any different from their RWD counterparts? And if so are they designed with the common problems in mind and are engineered differently to counter those problems?
2: If the problems are unavoidable are there any other mods that can be done to remedy them?
3: have any of you used the coilovers i mentioned in your AWD is250's? if so did you encounter any problem with vibrations, driveshaft, boots, etc?

any information would help, thank you .

I would recommend a higher grade of suspension from RS-R. Their coil-overs are handmade in Japan (I've visited them in Osaka twice), they have a rich racing history and have been on multiple Lexus project cars. Unlike most suspension companies, their components are SPECIFICALLY MADE FOR EACH CAR. That means if the engine is different or its RWD/AWD they have designed it for that specific application. Many companies just make one application.

http://www.rs-r.com/product/lexus-is-250350-sports-i-coilovers-2006-2013/

FearTheYu

Founding Member
Reactions
I would recommend speaking with your local Lexus Technician. Here in GA, we service very few versions of the AWD IS(s) across the years. We hardly have snow aside from the once in a longtime snow storm. To my knowledge, you could get the lowering springs from F-Sport. That'll give you a mild drop. The IS250 2nd gen does already sit low in my opinion, but that may be a possibility without drastically changing the dynamics/engineering of the vehicle. Though, it'd be best to talk to senior or master cert. Lexus Tech and ask about the pros/cons.

Reactions: RAL