Los Angeles Auto Show November 20-29, 2015

Reactions
Yes, thanks Tragic Bronson. I knew we had knowledgeable posters from southern CA.

This offer here came in conjunction with a free ticket to the OC Auto Show
http://motortrend.tixonlinenow.com/ocautoshow/index.php?route=checkout/subscription

Since you are in California, you can take advantage of this free Motor trend annual subscription...they might also give it away for the SF or SJ Auto Show (not sure if they're sponsored by MT), but it would work because this is limited to CA residents regardless of where.

I just signed up for the free subscription, and do this every year. I usually skip the show since I go to the LA one.

Reactions
Yep.....same way at the D.C. show each January. Alternating on certain days, Toyota, Kia, Subaru, Mazda, Scion, and sometimes Cadillac share test-drive circuits set up in the city streets around the show.....but it doesn't really tell you much except how the vehicles ride and steer in stop-and-go traffic over city potholes. I wouldn't call it a true test-drive.....certainly not what I do in my reviews.
Yes you don't get an in depth of a drive like a real test drive, but they're OK...the ride and drives are run by outside firms like AMCI that contract with the manufacturers. I usually do them because of the free stuff that most of them give you. Honestly, the shows themselves are becoming less and less interesting than in years past.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
This offer here came in conjunction with a free ticket to the OC Auto Show
http://motortrend.tixonlinenow.com/ocautoshow/index.php?route=checkout/subscription

Since you are in California, you can take advantage of this free Motor trend annual subscription...they might also give it away for the SF or SJ Auto Show (not sure if they're sponsored by MT), but it would work because this is limited to CA residents regardless of where.

I just signed up for the free subscription, and do this every year. I usually skip the show since I go to the LA one.

Yes, thanks. I often get free tickets from sales people that I know for the SJ show.

I usually attend both shows (SF and SJ) and just booked room for Thanksgiving weekend in SF so that we can attend car show and enjoy fresh crab dinner, breakfast at Buena Vista, evening in North Beach for coffee and desserts and lots of walking. The car stays in hotel parking garage entire time in SF.

Reactions
Yes, thanks. I often get free tickets from sales people that I know for the SJ show.

I usually attend both shows (SF and SJ) and just booked room for Thanksgiving weekend in SF so that we can attend car show and enjoy fresh crab dinner, breakfast at Buena Vista, evening in North Beach for coffee and desserts and lots of walking. The car stays in hotel parking garage entire time in SF.
Oh awesome...not just the show, but the itinerary! Love the City!

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Oh awesome...not just the show, but the itinerary! Love the City!
Exactly, so much to enjoy. SF is such a small city and we stay near Fishermans Wharf and North Beach, using the personal car is a waste when you can walk or cab/limo to just about everything.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions

Sounds like the SJ show is dealer-sponsored. Same way here in D.C. It's sponsored by WANADA...the local dealer association. That's why dealerships give out free tickets. Some local supermarkets also give out discount-tickets for them at a reduced price.

The L.A. show is so big, though, and, with some of its all-new introductions (others, of course, are first displayed in Detroit or New York), that it might be worth paying for tickets (or multiple-tickets) and the cost of commuting just to see that show, even if one cannot get in free. We do get some all-new introductions here at the D.C. show, but it is not very common (the last all-new one I can remember locally was when Mercedes introduced a C-class wagon here some years ago). D.C., of course rarely gets new intros because it falls right on the heels of the bigger Detroit show....still a very nice show, though.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Sounds like the SJ show is dealer-sponsored. Same way here in D.C. It's sponsored by WANADA...the local dealer association. That's why dealerships give out free tickets. Some local supermarkets also give out discount-tickets for them at a reduced price.

Yes, I'm guessing same about SJ and I sometimes see salespeople I know working it. A nice user-friendly show, but smaller than big SF or LA shows.

Reactions
SF is such a small city and we stay near Fishermans Wharf and North Beach, using the personal car is a waste when you can walk or cab/limo to just about everything.
its_a_trap_star_wars.gif

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Mike, I updated your post as the LA show starts November 20 :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, the general show starts on the 20th. The preview, for the media and auto-press, starts on the 17th.

Any predictions/guesses, BTW, on what will end up being the most popular displays there? My guesses are the new Lexus RX, Fiat 124 Spyder (the Mazda Miata twin with the Fiat engine), and, if Chevy brings it there, the new 6Gen Camaro.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Guessing, new Benz C-class coupe will get plenty of attention at LA show.

You think there is a good market for coupes coming up?

On second thought, maybe so, considering that BMW renamed all of its 3-series coupes to 4-series, and Audi introduced the A7.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
You think there is a good market for coupes coming up?

On second thought, maybe so, considering that BMW renamed all of its 3-series coupes to 4-series, and Audi introduced the A7.

Yes, surprisingly decent growth rate and more importantly with high profit margins. Better growth rate than convertibles. Yep, 4 series and RC are good examples. Sexy good styling sells. And even in cases where customer finally ends up buying the sedan version, having the coupe on showroom floor adds value.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
If anybody here is going to attend the show (Steve, Mike?), Ford announced that the new 2017 Escape will be unveiled there. Please try and get some shots, if possible. I've got a close friend living in another state who is quite interested in an Escape (in fact, at his request, I test-drove two of them yesterday to try them out...an 1.6T SE and 2.0T Titanium model). But there are a couple of features on the 2016 that I don't think are well-done....it will be interesting to see what the next one is like.

I'll look at it, of course, here at the D.C. show in January....if he hasn't bought a 2016 model. Ford also signs up people for pre-paid test-drive Mastercards at the show.

Thanks in advance. :)

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I'll be attending SF show around Thanksgiving. I've driven 1.6T Escape, it was okay, unfortunately Escape and badge-engineered MKC reliability per CR has not been good. Interior is kind of cheesy. I'll see if new Escape is shown.

Recently Lincoln handed out those MasterCard gift cards at our local shows, when I showed up at dealer they signed it off they didn't even bother to ask if I wanted to test drive anything. Same experience with Ford and its cards.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
I'll be attending SF show around Thanksgiving. I've driven 1.6T Escape, it was okay, unfortunately Escape and badge-engineered MKC reliability per CR has not been good. Interior is kind of cheesy. I'll see if new Escape is shown.

Recently Lincoln handed out those MasterCard gift cards at our local shows, when I showed up at dealer they signed it off they didn't even bother to ask if I wanted to test drive anything. Same experience with Ford and its cards.

Hey.....most of us (certainly me included) do enough test-drives without getting paid for it. Might as well put something in your pocket for it...as long as it's legit and freely offered by the manufacturer (Buick was also doing that a couple of years ago). Besides, I like the MKC enough (despite its admittedly below-average reliability), to be a (possible) future Lincoln customer myself.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Yup! Been out here since Monday. A lot of people are saying that the show is rather tame this year.

Anyone have questions I can answer, or pics you'd like?

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yup! Been out here since Monday. A lot of people are saying that the show is rather tame this year.

Anyone have questions I can answer, or pics you'd like?

Thanks. :) If you have any shots of the new 2017 Buick LaCrosse, Lincoln MKZ, Fiat 124 Spyder, or Buick Cascada convertible, wouldn't mind seeing some posted.

Were you there for the press event? The public show itself starts tomorrow.