James

Founding Member
Reactions
So after I come out and say to hell with you Lexus we have news. But honestly for the love of your loyal fans can you just come out and say what the hell your building? We’ve been in the dark for so long screw the keeping secrets and let us know cause a lot of us are FED up with all these new products or endings and we get nothing. Just tell us what your building with the LBX or RZ450e cause more than likely you’re already behind what the competitor is doing so there’s really no surprise rt?

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
Not sure what Z stands for here. X means crossover (learned from Lexus school). The most probable vehicle would be a car based on LF-1 limitless concept (a crossover). 450e here is interesting. I hope that the electric power would live up with this 450 number, unlike 450h which is just a rebrand of 350. I also really hope they come up with something that can compete with GLE/C Coupe and X4. Rx interior needs an update, badly.

Last edited:

thtupid

Fan
Reactions
Not sure what Z stands for here. X means crossover (learned from Lexus school). The most probable vehicle would be a car based on LF-1 limitless concept (a crossover). 450e here is interesting. I hope that the electric power would live up with this 450 number, unlike 450h which is just a rebrand of 350. I also really hope they come up with something that can compete with GLE/C Coupe and X4. Rx interior needs an update, badly.
Maybe...shooting brake?

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
If we go back to the E-TNGA presentation, we can see several possible powertrain possibilities.

Under E-TNGA there are 3 front motor (small/medium/large) and 2 rear motor (small/large) designs. The only one we don't know is the medium front motor but competitors usually have a 110-120kW motor as an entry-level option.

On their presentation they show three AWD systems with small front+large rear, one with medium front+large rear, and finally two large. In all cases, the AWD systems are rear-biased. They haven't shown a front biased configuration yet.

A '300e' system consists of either a single large 150kW front motor (already in UX300e) or two small 80kW motors for AWD.
The '450e' could be 230kW (80+150). A 35/65 split should be pretty fun to drive.
There could be a '500e' with 260-270kW (medium+150).
Finally a '550e' with 300kW as the range-topping model, but it may be only paired with the full-size 100kWh battery.
It is a little disappointing they are not planning a performance powertrain with 400+kW. But first batch of E-TNGA addresses the mass market only. Performance BEVs might only come with more advanced battery and motor tech (like in the LF-30) later in the decade.

As for battery size, E-TNGA will stay with the 96s config (355V). Starting with 2p/192 cells with 50kWh, 3p/288 cells with 75kWh, and 4p/384 cells with 100kWh. On the presentation they show up to 5 of those 96s slices for a possible 125kWh variant. But the highest capacity they claimed for any planned product is just 100kWh.

We already know a mid-size SUV will use the 3p 75kWh config so the RZ450e will most likely adopt it too.

Last edited:

Will1991

Reactions
@ssun30 , it seems you're considering using the same cells as current UX300e... Do you really think they will keep NCM622 for the global BEV offence?
Considering this new BEV should only appear by 2022 as a MY2023 (my assumption), I would bet on a NCM712 (similar to ID.3) or even a NCM811 (similar to iX3) chemistry. Don't you see this as a possibility?Given their lower cobalt content they could be also cheaper to manufacture.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
@ssun30 , it seems you're considering using the same cells as current UX300e... Do you really think they will keep NCM622 for the global BEV offence?
I didn't say that. The current 288 cell pack only has 54.3kWh. They are growing that to 75-80 so of course I expect a chemistry change. Also they currently use 523 not 622. Even 622 is considered 'not safe enough by Toyota's standards'.

I think they are going to NCM811 since by 2022 their suppliers would have enough experience with yield durability and safety.

And to achieve full modularity they should be going for CTP packaging as well. I don't think anyone debuting a BEV in 2022 would not use CTP. The cells themselves will likely grow in size. Overall the volume efficiency would see a huge leap over the UX300e.

Will1991

Reactions
Don’t know how, but initially I associated 50kWh to 3p/288 cells arrangement...

Thanks for the clarification!

Lasse J. Nordvik

Follower
Reactions
With the promise of revolutionary solid-state batteries in 2025 combined with Yamaha’s new electric motor that actually produces an exciting sound, I finally find myself excited about battery electric vehicles.

Sebass

Follower
Reactions
One other thought though: didn't Koji Sato recently say Lexus would not grow outside of the current lineup? So that would kind of knock out an RX coupe... but also... things at Lexus seem to be changing a lot, as always.
We were also told F models would come out a year after the normal model, but that only happened with the RC. I'm not trying to sound snarky, but frankly, Lexus sucks at keeping promises.

Reactions
I don't like Lexus' naming scheme for its soft-roaders. RX is great because in the backs of boomer's minds is the aura of the Mazda RX7 that made "RX" cool. "NX" reminds me of crap I've seen in a junkyard: Nissan Pulsar NX.