NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Currently scheduled to begin testing at the same facilities the LC300 went through.

I'd 6-8 months before we the first #grainydslr pics, and 1 year from press launch.

If this RX550H pans out, I wonder if this travels upwards to the GX.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Right now the trademarks are:

TX 500h
TX 550h+
GX 550
GX 550h
RX "highest" trademark is RX 500h

So GX is the only one with a "550h" hybrid trademark, the TX has a "550h+" plugin hybrid trademark and the RX has "500h" hybrid and I believe "450h+" plugin hybrid.

This feels like a tongue twister...? šŸ¤£

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions

TX 500h
TX 550h+
GX 550
GX 550h

So GX is the only one with a "550h" hybrid trademark, the TX has a "550h+" plugin hybrid trademark and the RX has "500h" hybrid and I believe "450h+" plugin hybrid.

Thanks for the correction, with the incoming TX and X550+s Im finding it hard to keep up.

That being said I'm having some doubts on when the new GX is coming to market.

-4R and Taco seemed to be pushed back till MY2024, to at least coincide with the 40th anniversary and moreso program progress.

-Tahara might be a temp production facility for the next gen 4R as it moves to mexico to be built alongside the taco for good. GX is expected to remain at Tahara (YAY).

-The 4R is coming with an i4 hybrid, with a chance the TRD might get a detuned V6 tt. GX at least for what i hear is still a v35 detuned hybrid. I'm wondering if the LX refresh jumps into a hybrid form at the time the GX launches.

-Historically speaking the LC prado launches directly with the 4R, so they should be in testing already. LC prado, GX, and 4R for MY23 should remain the same. Im pretty sure they're test vehicles on the road right now in plain sight that folks could see, but car media is avoiding for good reason (banned).

-The GX would begin testing now, since historically it launches 6 months after the LC prado. Big question which I cant seem to find answers on is will it launch as a late MY24 or early MY25. I have a suspicion the GX might buck the historical trend of a staggard launch and get to market at the same time the 4R does.

Last edited:

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I think you are onto something, @NXracer. From what I know:

2022 calendar year launch, 2023 model year:
RX
RZ

2023 calendar year launch, 2024 model year:
GX
TX

Calendar year vs. model year does often cause some confusion, but the above checks out with what I know.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I do love seeing the some media outlets still write that the GX replacement is the TX.

In addition for some reason some vocal MY22 owners seem to be delusional about the MY23 being the replacement next gen GX. Their MY22 was apparently a one and done MY.....smh.

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
I look forward to a next generation GX. I love my current 2GX and hope Lexus expands the GX line to include a hybrid as well.

GX 550
GX 550h

Levi

Expert
Reactions
I look forward to a next generation GX.

The Landcruiser had four generations with split-gate. The Prado had 3 generations with swinggate, we could even add LC70 with barn doors, which are quite similar. LC300 splitgate for normal tailgate, despite tradition/heritage. Why did Toyota do that?

The Prado (Europe and Asia, North America as Lexus with V8) has two related products, the Fortuner for Asia, Africa and South America, and the 4Runner for North America. Both those related model have normal tailgate. The Prado, as the Landcruiser, has a signature/feature, in this case the swinggate. Will it be abandoned as it was for the Landcruiser?

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
The Landcruiser had four generations with split-gate. The Prado had 3 generations with swinggate, we could even add LC70 with barn doors, which are quite similar. LC300 splitgate for normal tailgate, despite tradition/heritage. Why did Toyota do that?

The Prado (Europe and Asia, North America as Lexus with V8) has two related products, the Fortuner for Asia, Africa and South America, and the 4Runner for North America. Both those related model have normal tailgate. The Prado, as the Landcruiser, has a signature/feature, in this case the swinggate. Will it be abandoned as it was for the Landcruiser?
I would love for Lexus to keep the swinggate (barndoor) however in the U.S. it opens the wrong way. Currently it opens from the driver's side to the passenger side, it should be the other way because if you park next to a curb and we are left hand drive steering you want the swinggate to open from the passenger side to the driver's side so you can unload your items and not go around the door. Hope Lexus fixes that and keeps that GX/Prado heritage.

The Fortuner is based off the HiLux (smaller vehicle) where as the Prado and GX are based off the 4Runner/somewhat Tacoma, Sequoia is based off the Tundra (bigger vehicle).

Last edited:

Deusex

Follower
Reactions
I just picked up 2022 GX. Cant wait to see new TX and next gen. GX. If I wont be as disappointed with those new cars as with new LX, I will be buying them as soon as possible.:)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Well the rumor mill media channels are burning the proverbial midnight oil. I agree with @Carmaker1
You have channels like Automotive Press, RobMotive, TFL, and a few others making the matter of misinformation worse, with their blind speculation leading nowhere in most cases or in AP's case, riffing off of unconfirmed guesses like the Sequoia liftgate window somehow equaling the same for 6G without any proof of it.

David at AP has this horrible habit of hiding behind his similar credentials as an engineer, yet stooping to misinforming people with dumb guesses of his as misbegotten fact.

I warned him last year it was now a 2024 model and the Tacoma was not a 2023 model either, both are 2024s. He didn't listen and doubled down on that drivel.

He embarrassingly tried to save face earlier this year, when it started becoming obvious I KNEW what I was talking about and then WHAM, the NY area dealers gave it away via YouTuber Driven District (thanks to him).
I hope they include
-Comfier seating w/massage in all rows
-Ducted cooled seats
-Better brake control systems (the current system is weird instead of a linear curve of braking effort/performance it acts almost like an on off switch.).

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I always find it funny that AP pretends to be some Toyota insider even though most of his content is reposting BestCar and Mag-X.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I always find it funny that AP pretends to be some Toyota insider even though most of his content is reposting BestCar and Mag-X.
iu

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I would love for Lexus to keep the swinggate (barndoor) however in the U.S. it opens the wrong way. Currently it opens from the driver's side to the passenger side, it should be the other way because if you park next to a curb and we are left hand drive steering you want the swinggate to open from the passenger side to the driver's side so you can unload your items and not go around the door. Hope Lexus fixes that and keeps that GX/Prado heritage.

The Fortuner is based off the HiLux (smaller vehicle) where as the Prado and GX are based off the 4Runner/somewhat Tacoma, Sequoia is based off the Tundra (bigger vehicle).
That swinggate is the butt of jokes. I'd rather see them bring a clam shell LX570 gate, Sequoia split gate, the new gate off the LX600, and offer the swing gate as an option for those who want it with the tire mount.

Sulu

Admirer
Reactions
That swinggate is the butt of jokes. I'd rather see them bring a clam shell LX570 gate, Sequoia split gate, the new gate off the LX600, and offer the swing gate as an option for those who want it with the tire mount.
Offering different tailgate opening options on one vehicle is costly. I highly doubt that this would be offered on a personal vehicle.

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
Offering different tailgate opening options on one vehicle is costly. I highly doubt that this would be offered on a personal vehicle.
True, and I may have worded my post a bit wrong. LC prado currently comes with two tailgate types (with or without a tire mount), and I believe the LC200 used to come in 2 flavors (vertical split vs horizontal split).

The move to the F platform we see the LC/LX style liftgate and the Sequoia styles liftgate with window split. I imagine the GX can get at least those and maybe a swing tire carrier for the offthe beaten path. Again hard to tell seeing how DSLR club shots have not arisen...coming soon :p

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
A few years ago they had a convertible tailgate that can switch between horizontal split and liftgate on the FT4X concept. I wonder why that hasn't happened yet.

qtb007

Follower
Reactions

TX 500h
TX 550h+
GX 550
GX 550h

Just guessing based on what we've seen with recent launches and filling in the dots that the numbers mean something. Have to ignore existing vehicles (especially naturally aspirated things like the IS 500 and pre-TNGA hybrids like the LC500h)...

UX200 = M20 (170hp)
UX250h = M20 hybrid (180hp... though this will bump to 200hp with the mid cycle refresh most likely)
NX350h = A25 hybrid (245hp)
> RX350h = A25 hybrid (245hp?)
NX350 = T24 (275hp)
> RX350 = T24 (275hp)
NX450h+ = A25 PHEV (300hp)
> RX500h = T24 hybrid (330hp?)
> TX500h = T24 hybrid (330hp?)
> TX550h+ = T24 hybrid (340hp?)
> GX550h = T24 with Tundra single motor style hybrid (to boost performance to the same ballpark as the V35 detuned... 350hp?)
> GX550 = V35 at low tune (375hp?)
LX600 = V35 full tune (400hp)

NXracer

Admirer
Reactions
I always wondered Toyota was the king of boxed frames in the 90s, what made them go to a C-Channel in the 2000s, and now returning to a boxed frame? Was this just a result of trends from the American big 3 yelling from tree tops how amazing C channels are?

Will1991

Reactions
Boxed frames had some issues with durability, specially due to corrosion.
Water would get into the frame and stay there.

C-Shaped frame allows for a much easier water flow, and it's easier to the frame dry up.

But metallurgical technology has come a long way, so I believe this time we shouldn't have any major issue.