Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
In North America, the ES 250 badge brings back memories of the original, stopgap ES launched in 1989 as a derivative of the 2nd-generation Camry and sold for only two years before being supplanted by the far more Lexus-worthy ES 300.

April 2012, however, saw the return of the ES 250 badge at the Beijing Motor Show. This 4-cylinder, non-hybrid ES 250 soon spread from its primary Chinese market to numerous other countries in Asia, the Middle East, Africa, Eastern Europe and Latin America. Now comes word that the ES 250 will come full circle and, according to a recent U.S. Trademark filing, will return to the United States and, presumably, Canada.

More details and commentary appear in my latest Kaizen Factor story:

https://kaizen-factor.com/a-north-a...exus-es-250-the-trademark-tea-leaves-say-yes/

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
I just spent a week driving around a new Rav4, which is about the same weight as the ES 350... it's plenty of engine, so it won't be underpowered, but that A25A 4 cyl can get quite rough and raspy. Maybe Lexus has a solution for that? Extra sound deadening, better motor mounts, etc.

ssun30

Expert
Reactions
I just spent a week driving around a new Rav4, which is about the same weight as the ES 350... it's plenty of engine, so it won't be underpowered, but that A25A 4 cyl can get quite rough and raspy. Maybe Lexus has a solution for that? Extra sound deadening, better motor mounts, etc.

The ChDM ES260 feels okay. Just like the Camry 2.5 the engine is very smooth and quiet in normal driving and only makes itself noticeable at WOT. I still don't know why the engine feels so unrefined on the RAV4. Maybe it's intentional to make it feel like a truck.

The ES260 doesn't feel underpowered. The throttle response is totally sufficient for drivability. Definitely miles better than the previous gen ES250 that is indeed underpowered. The torque curve feels like it's at least a class above the older 2AR. In fact the performance is more comparable to the discontinued V6 IS250.

Only problem is its spec sheet certainly doesn't look impressive and that's what sells cars in the US...

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
19-07-28-lexus-es-250-usa.jpg

Lexus has trademarked the ES 250 nameplate in the USA, suggesting a new engine option may be coming to North America.
Powered by the 2.5L 4-cylinder A25A-FKS engine found in the Toyota Camry and RAV4, the ES 250 is already available in markets around the world. In the Camry, the engine is mated to a 8-speed transmission and generates 206 horsepower and 186 lb.-ft of torque.
According to the website Kaizen Factor, the ES 250 trademark was filed under U.S. serial number 88521527 on July 18, 2019. This is no guarantee that the model will arrive in dealerships any time soon, but adding a new engine option to the brand’s best selling car feels like a smart move.
(An interesting aside — in China, this engine is sold as the ES 260 because the number 250...

Continue reading...

mikeavelli

Reactions
Makes sense as the price continues to climb. I assume this engine would make it to the next IS.

yiantony

Fan
Reactions
I feel 350 is already underpowered in a lot of situation.. but I'm sure this small engine will have its audience provided that it will bring the price down.

Reactions
Based on my internal rumors, the ES250 is going to be the only AWD ES with a 9 sec engine, naturally aspirated in-line 4 cylinder, however I believe it should be a 2.0 liter and not a 2.5 as my knowledge.

Last edited:

Trexus

Founding Member
Reactions
It appears this is another nail to the GS coffin. Lexus is expanding the ES line while the GS line has contracted with the loss of the GS 450h and keeping the GS on life support.

There is an ES 200 with the 6AR-FSE engine but I don't think that will make it to North America.

ES 250 (A25A-FKS)
ES 300h (A25A-FXS)
ES 350 (2GR-FKS)

suxeL

Follower
Reactions
GS folks need to hold their tears back until stuff actually pans out. The ES is a FWD monster in sales. expansion is strategic.

IS and GS replacements probably will be inbound, once the first set of cash cow TGNA products have been established and sold.