Lexus to Reveal "Progressive Luxury" Concept Car at Tokyo Motor Show

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
I think fastback rear-deck lids can be done much better than Panamera, which I agree is not nice.

For example I prefer fastback rear decks of CLS, Fusion, Rapide, A7 and TeslaS (vs. Panamera). I'd like to see Lexus do a fastback sedan.

Hemi

Premium Member
Reactions
Hello guys,
Dont you know where I could find information on sales for hybrid vehicles of lexus? Especially the RX450h which has been the most succcess when it comes to hybrid sales (I think at least). I need it for my Thesis, thus I need some reliable source.

Thank you in advance. :)

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions
Definitely design cues for the new LS. I think the LS will be released in different trims something like the S class with the Maybach.

I'm just not sure if Lexus will use the long wheel base version for that and keep the trailing L "460L" or name it for example, PLS 460; Progressive Luxury Sedan 460.

I have a feeling that the recent changes at Lexus are due to the company trying really hard to re-energize the brand. They are trying to see how people react, not only that, they are trying to make the brand a household name; good or bad once you know that something exists it becomes something you always consider or find comfort in. They also found out that the public, in general, is quite forgiving/forgetful. How many people stopped buying Toyota/Lexus cars after the gas pedal recall?

Look at the VW, pre-fiasco. Their ad campaign worked extremely well. They were a company that existed but no one really took seriously until they got into your head and then boom, everyone had a Passat/Jetta.

So,
  1. LFA (loved by car enthusiasts) - Enthusiasts check
  2. Heavy advertising targeting the younger demographic - Future buyers check
  3. New emotional designs to get people talking about Lexus - Subliminal advertising check
  4. New cars that everyone is suddenly talking about and they don't know why - mission accomplished
I believe that Lexus is currently creating some phenomenal designs for the next generation; I actually have a feeling that if their campaign is successful, we will see their next generation much sooner with the LS leading.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I agree. I would love to see a glimpse of a new LS but the words "progressive luxury" suggest to me that it's something more entry level. There's not been much talk of a new CT but that would be my guess...maybe a CT200T.

this could always be right since next CT200h should be at least revealed next year... all we know so far is that it will be based on new TNGA platform.

Dreski

Fan
Reactions
I had a hysterical one minute laugh with the whole a tesla interior comparo. Tesla has an econobox quality type interior sold as a six figure luxury car.

I think its a new 'tech' going into Toyota/Lexus cars. Doubt its the LS.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
It's got to be the new LS concept, just has to be. Lexus fans have waited for far too long now.

As for some of you here fretting about the term "progressive luxury", let me remind you that it is not referring to a specific type of model, it is an overarching, main vision for the Lexus brand.
http://www.lexus-int.com/our-story/our-vision.html

The luxury of Lexus is different. We call it Progressive Luxury

So this term does not hint at any specific model. The press release I'm sure is extremely vague on purpose.

Reactions
Looking forward to a next gen LS!! I hope it can REALLY compete against the S-Class which currently really has no competition except for like Bentley and Rolls. It's on another level entirely. Here's to hope for the LS!!

zema

Fan
Reactions
Teaser:

lexus-teaser-2015-tokyo-ms-high-res_0.jpg

Source: http://www.evo.co.uk/lexus/16846/lexus-progressive-luxury-concept-to-make-tokyo-show-debut

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
Well, I CALLED IT! The minute (back in June) a UK source of mine personally corrected me and confirmed a mid-2017 launch, Japanese editorials kept stating 17 5月, and comments from a Lexus executive in Scandinavia stated it would only be a concept, I instantly knew all the reports of a 2016 launch were inaccurate, as well as a production model unveiling in Tokyo.

Western journos and blogs (WCF, Auto Blog, MT, C&D, etc.) have peddled the same unconfirmed and inconsistent story the past 5 months. The same bunch that still call the incoming LC500 and LC500h, the not-yet-to-be resurrected name of SC.

All despite the fact that a Lexus executive stated otherwise on social media (it would be a concept) and all Japanese sources point to May 2017. It is too early to show it in production guise. An actual 5LS unveiling might be a private event in the second half of 2016 or in Paris next September/October. If not Detroit, in January 2017.

Plus, the LC coupe is the one that will debut the new MRWD platform, NOT the LS. The LC goes into production in November 2016, which is 12-13 months from now. Clearly that is coming first and foremost. The LS concept is a way to celebrate a global 25th anniversary (June 1990 worldwide, September 1989 in US) and introduce the LS somehow, ahead of the LC in January 2016.

Too bad this concept won't be called LF-LS, as the LF-prefix for concepts might be retired in 10-20 years time and this is one good opportunity to have used it.

I think it's the new LS. They're probably not releasing a teaser (at least not yet) do to the whole "revolutionary design" for the LS. They announced a while back that the next LS would be, something along the lines of, a well-worth waited design. But what gets me the most, is the title "progressive luxury." What does that necessarily imply?

It is the next LS in concept form, probably developed by Lexus advanced designers over the last 6-8 months. The design was frozen by last year, if not defined earlier than on the concept/proposal front. Anything we see now, previews the car as it is and soon to be spotted, camouflaged prototypes.

The new S-Class has been out 2 years now. By the time this new LS launches next year it will be 3 years of total domination by the S-Class. Hope Lexus was taking its sweet time to make it unbelievable!!

The W222 S-Class facelift design work has been finalised by now (done two years ahead) and MB is surely working to ensure that no one can topple it come mid-late 2017. Even the next generation S-Class has already entered development, but is very much in the early stages.

Lexus better have made this car worth it or one cannot imagine the disastrous results if by unusual chance it turns out to be an also-ran. This will not be out until about July 2017 in North America and early 2018 in Australia. The mid-cycle W222 could make or break the 5LS, as well as the next XJ saloon (a Jaguar first;)).

"Progressive Luxury" sounds like marketing jargon for a small car, or something outside of Lexus' standard realm.

If it is indeed an LS concept, I'd have preferred something like, "Next Generation Flagship Luxury Vehicle."

Doesn't really mean anything, but I get your point as the CT was referred to as "progressive". However by comparison, the CT is not much of a luxury car. This is the standard bearer of the brand, so they'd best avoid such a reference being applied to the CT, especially at their most important auto show.

Definitely design cues for the new LS. I think the LS will be released in different trims something like the S class with the Maybach.

I'm just not sure if Lexus will use the long wheel base version for that and keep the trailing L "460L" or name it for example, PLS 460; Progressive Luxury Sedan 460.

I have a feeling that the recent changes at Lexus are due to the company trying really hard to re-energize the brand. They are trying to see how people react, not only that, they are trying to make the brand a household name; good or bad once you know that something exists it becomes something you always consider or find comfort in. They also found out that the public, in general, is quite forgiving/forgetful. How many people stopped buying Toyota/Lexus cars after the gas pedal recall?

Look at the VW, pre-fiasco. Their ad campaign worked extremely well. They were a company that existed but no one really took seriously until they got into your head and then boom, everyone had a Passat/Jetta.

So,
  1. LFA (loved by car enthusiasts) - Enthusiasts check
  2. Heavy advertising targeting the younger demographic - Future buyers check
  3. New emotional designs to get people talking about Lexus - Subliminal advertising check
  4. New cars that everyone is suddenly talking about and they don't know why - mission accomplished
I believe that Lexus is currently creating some phenomenal designs for the next generation; I actually have a feeling that if their campaign is successful, we will see their next generation much sooner with the LS leading.

The LFA was ironically not developed under Akio Toyoda, but his various predecessors from about February 2000. He oversaw the last stage of prototyping and pilot production as President. I am not why many keep using "460" to describe future Lexus models, but it very clear that the 1UR-FSE will be discontinued in Lexus sedans/saloons and either 2UR-GSE or a new 5.0 litre will replace it in the 2017 LC500 and 2018 LS500.

I agree about the re-energizing of the brand.

this could always be right since next CT200h should be at least revealed next year... all we know so far is that it will be based on new TNGA platform.

Come on, you know very well at this point (more than most) it is very much not the CT. Pretty much everything has been pointing to the LS for months, but mostly U.S. American journalists/bloggers have been sardonically claiming it's a production unveiling and will launch together in 2016 with the "resurrected SC" coupe. Little did they know it's a concept and should probably brush up on their Japanese, to know a bit more facts. :rolleyes:

I have been meaning to post about many Japanese language tidbits on the 200B programme, the new LS and past Toyota/Lexus innovations that will blow minds. Seems self-defeating as I work for a competitor, but it is much easier to keep my lips zipped about JLR.:p

I do hope the L-select program makes it to export markets with the new LS.

It definitely should, as that has been one Lexus weak point in their largest market and in Europe. Somehow, I think you've put together the pieces regarding the fact this would only be a concept. It's too far out to showrooms, since production begins in Q2 2017.

The correct term is "spelled", not spelt. But yes, you have the name correct. The Bentayga is classed as an SUV.

http://www.bentleymotors.com/en/models/bentayga.html

No, that is wrong. Both forms of spell in past tense do just fine, but for reason many Americans wrongly assume otherwise (favourite/favorite). I mostly grew up stateside, but try to balance both.

Reactions: CIF

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
Come on, you know very well at this point (more than most) it is very much not the CT. Pretty much everything has been pointing to the LS for months, but mostly U.S. American journalists/bloggers have been sardonically claiming it's a production unveiling and will launch together in 2016 with the "resurrected SC" coupe. Little did they know it's a concept and should probably brush up on their Japanese, to know a bit more facts. :rolleyes:

I have been meaning to post about many Japanese language tidbits on the 200B programme, the new LS and past Toyota/Lexus innovations that will blow minds. Seems self-defeating as I work for a competitor, but it is much easier to keep my lips zipped about JLR.:p

Please do share :)