Lexus to Debut LC 500 and LC 500h Coupe at Detroit Auto Show?

Carmaker1

Admirer
Reactions
I have my reservations about the nomenclature, in terms of LC500h. It should be renamed LC450h, NOT 500h, on account of current 3.5 litres mated to electric motors being named in that manner.

Is Lexus doing twin-turbo V8 or not? It would not make sense to launch an LC500 with a version of the 2UR V8, yet introduce the 5LS with a new twin-turbo V8. I would hope Lexus is not retaining the 2GR-FXE for these two products or they can forget about improving sales.

As for the rendering, considering the source, it is not on point. This is no more than taking the shape of the 2012 LF-LC Concept and slapping 2014 LF-C2 Concept (RC concept sans roof) cues on it. I will gladly wait to see the results in a few weeks.

Bear in mind that the LC may not go on sale for another 12-13 months, so this is a VERY early preview. It would make sense for there to be some time before an LC-F makes it into JDM, North American, and European showrooms, let alone Australia. Late 2017 or 2018 makes sense.

Last edited:

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Just make it #handle. I'm tired of Lexus building cars that look amazing, go like hell in a straight line, and get hung out to dry by BMW in the corners.
RC-F and IS-F were made to look silly by Top Gear, unable to maneuver through corners at top speed without losing it.
If BMW can produce boring, bland, uninspiring vehicles that sell so well and handle as leaders in their segment, Lexus should make it an engineering priority to finally put something out that will unseat BMW's stranglehold on the sports sedan crown.

In some reviews, the Cadillac ATS, handling-wise, is already unseating the newest versions of the 3-series.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I have my reservations about the nomenclature, in terms of LC500h. It should be renamed LC450h, NOT 500h, on account of current 3.5 litres mated to electric motors being named in that manner.

Is Lexus doing twin-turbo V8 or not? It would not make sense to launch an LC500 with a version of the 2UR V8, yet introduce the 5LS with a new twin-turbo V8. I would hope Lexus is not retaining the 2GR-FXE for these two products or they can forget about improving sales.

As for the rendering, considering the source, it is not on point. This is no more than taking the shape of the 2012 LF-LC Concept and slapping 2014 LF-C2 Concept (RC concept sans roof) cues on it. I will gladly wait to see the results in a few weeks.

Bear in mind that the LC may not go on sale for another 12-13 months, so this is a VERY early preview. It would make sense for there to be some time before an LC-F makes it into JDM, North American, and European showrooms, let alone Australia. Late 2017 or 2018 makes sense.

Well if the rumors are true, the electric motors have much higher power output than the current GS 450h, thus a 500h. Twin Turbos are otw from my understanding but now maybe it debuts on the next LS first? Or future F models?

I think the rendering is accurate, insiders are saying the production car looks better than the concept. :)

Mohammed Taha

Founding Member
Reactions

I agree 100%, it should be a 450H not a 500H if they're using a 3.5L engine.

As for a debut, there is no way they are debuting a production version of the car in Detroit. It's going to be the closest thing to the production but still looking like a concept car.

I doubt that they are this ready to release a car this early when we haven't seen enough mules about being tested in all types of environments.

oem_is300

Founding Member
Reactions
Really looking forward to seeing an official view of this car. The camouflaged spy shots really got me excited. Beyond just styling I want to see the tech - both engine and interior that Lexus is going to be bringing forward.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions

I have to think the LC and LS will mirror each other in terms of engines, so I can't imagine the kind of conflict you're mentioning. Also, a twin-turbo V8 in a non-F model seems crazy.

From this rumor, it sounds like the entire 450h powertrain is being redesigned -- fingers crossed the improvement yields the type of numbers mentioned.

As for a debut, there is no way they are debuting a production version of the car in Detroit. It's going to be the closest thing to the production but still looking like a concept car.

I doubt that they are this ready to release a car this early when we haven't seen enough mules about being tested in all types of environments.

There have been plenty of sightings of LC test mules:

Lexus LC Coupe Prototype Spotted on the Nürburgring! | Lexus ...

Spy Shots: Lexus LF-LC Prototype Spotted in Germany | Lexus ...

Spy Shots: Lexus LF-LC Production Prototype...

Nothing is guaranteed, but Lexus is definitely bringing something to Detroit. Feel pretty confident it's going to be the production LC.

Reactions
Just make it #handle. I'm tired of Lexus building cars that look amazing, go like hell in a straight line, and get hung out to dry by BMW in the corners.
RC-F and IS-F were made to look silly by Top Gear, unable to maneuver through corners at top speed without losing it.
If BMW can produce boring, bland, uninspiring vehicles that sell so well and handle as leaders in their segment, Lexus should make it an engineering priority to finally put something out that will unseat BMW's stranglehold on the sports sedan crown.

In some reviews, the Cadillac ATS, handling-wise, is already unseating the newest versions of the 3-series.
Actually Lexus has already done that.

The latest GS and IS outhandle and are more enjoyable driver's cars than the equivalent 5 and 3 series.

BMW is currently existing on past glories and the automotive press refusing to let go of old outdated cliches. All the while Lexus has quietly gone on to build up a portfolio of great handling cars. It's just that the brain dead automotive press are lazily going by the old playbook of " Lexus boring+poor handling".

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BMW is currently existing on past glories and the automotive press refusing to let go of old outdated cliches. All the while Lexus has quietly gone on to build up a portfolio of great handling cars. It's just that the brain dead automotive press are lazily going by the old playbook of " Lexus boring+poor handling".

The auto press, though, has been quick to extol the handling virtues of the Cadillac ATS. In a number of reviews, it is taking over where the 3-series one reigned.

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions

Just so you know, the current GS has been objectively proven to out-handle the current 5 Series. The current IS handles just as well, if not better than the current 3 Series.

Top Gear is essentially a comedy car show. It can't be taken completely seriously. Also it's only one source.

The recent Fifth Gear comparison (was posted on Lexus Enthusiast by krew recently) between the M4 and RC F actually proved the opposite of what you're saying; the M4 kept losing it around corners, was highly twitchy at the limit, and had very nervous handling. The RC F in contrast remained very stable with its handling.

I think more people should look beyond some of the bias in major auto publications and comparisons, and look at smaller and alternative auto media outlets, as well just doing more independent research, before jumping to conclusions.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Top Gear is essentially a comedy car show. It can't be taken completely seriously. Also it's only one source.

I think more people should look beyond some of the bias in major auto publications and comparisons, and look at smaller and alternative auto media outlets, as well just doing more independent research, before jumping to conclusions.

I agree that the Top Gear TV shows aren't serious auto reviews (the paper-copy Top Gear magazine, which I read, seems to be somewhat more credible). But you would be surprised at the number of die-hard fans that show had, especially when Clarkson was on it. Too bad he couldn't learn to control his temper.

mikeavelli

Reactions
I agree that the Top Gear TV shows aren't serious auto reviews (the paper-copy Top Gear magazine, which I read, seems to be somewhat more credible). But you would be surprised at the number of die-hard fans that show had, especially when Clarkson was on it. Too bad he couldn't learn to control his temper.

Maybe the guy shouldn't have been such a ***** that snitched on Clarkson? Make a hard working man a proper dinner :D

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Maybe the guy shouldn't have been such a ***** that snitched on Clarkson? Make a hard working man a proper dinner :D

Depends on what one considers a proper dinner. ;) I myself gave up red meat some years ago for health reasons. I guess Jeremy likes his steaks, though.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
15-12-14-lexus-lf-lc-detroit-400x200.jpg

Bloomberg has more information on the upcoming Lexus LC coupe expected to debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January.
View the original article post

Reactions: Den

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
I could see around 150K or so for an LC F, but the base model LC? No way.