Lexus Subcompact Crossover Concept to Debut at Paris Auto Show

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Analysis paralysis by leading brands about SUV sizing categories or "segments" isn't how Lexus, BMW and Mercedes got to the top in the lucrative premium SUV business, strong product offerings make a difference.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
not sure how anybody not working for GM knows they are burning midnight oil, lol.

I simply used the term as a figure of speech, simply because it usually takes a couple of years to design and perfect an all-new vehicle, and Cadillac has clearly got is hands full with a new flagship sedan and brand-new SUV just hitting the market, and (probably) two more SUVs on the way. One does not have to be a GM employee to see that that will take some time and labor.

(I static-reviewed several new XT5s today, BTW....will probably do the test-drive very shortly)

Not that Cadillac or Acura are even tier 1 premium brands anyways.
I'll agree on neither of them being Tier 1. Right now, though, except for the Acura NSX, I'd rank Caddy somewhat higher on the Tier-scale than Acura....maybe a Tier 1.5 to Acura's Tier 2.

James

Founding Member
Reactions
Yes but that will be another segment competing with the Q7, XC90, etc. But the regular RX is still confusing.
No way that's what the GX and LX are for. The RX does not need to challenge the Q7.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
No way that's what the GX and LX are for. The RX does not need to challenge the Q7.
But when the RX extends it's wheelbase/length to add a third row of seating, There is no SUV that can compete with it other than the Q7, XC90, QX60, etc. Yes, the GX is also in the same segment but it is a true BOF SUV with a big engine that is not required for most customers so the will more likely go with the crossover choices in the segment.

Levi

Expert
Reactions
Won't be electric, it has exhaust tips, which I didn't notice before.

In general, it is clear where the market is going. But car manufacturers don't have the b*lls to be radical.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
But when the RX extends it's wheelbase/length to add a third row of seating, There is no SUV that can compete with it other than the Q7, XC90, QX60, etc.

I'm not sure if you also meant the Mercedes GLS here with the (etc...), but the GLS also has a third-row seat. In general, though, the GLS also cost more than an RX.

Reactions
looks to me this will spawn 2 versions. 1 version will be a hatchback to replace the CT and the other version will be jacked up like this photo (maybe called CX?) to compete with the GLA/X1 etc.

Rob Grieveson

Follower
Reactions
Looks very interesting no doubt based on the latest small Toyota C-HR i think it is called - will it replace the CT i think that is the question. The CT should have been more successful to my mind and this due to the refusal to put a turbo petrol motor in it. Why? A great small car but many folk still hesitate to buy a hybrid and no alternative was on offer.

Black Dynamite

Follower
Reactions
Son of NX!
I voted for the moniker XX. UX doesn't roll off the tongue....

I expect it to get the new Toyota Camry engines coming next year, including a revamped hybrid
BD

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I'm not sure if you also meant the Mercedes GLS here with the (etc...), but the GLS also has a third-row seat. In general, though, the GLS also cost more than an RX.
Yes I also meant the MDX, GLS and the MKT. However, even though in size it will compete with this segment, it is still an RX, not a separate model, meaning that it will only have a slightly pricier tag, and have the same stuff inside, which I don't think is good enough to beat some cars in the segment.

GSCT

Founding Member
Reactions
Looks very interesting no doubt based on the latest small Toyota C-HR i think it is called - will it replace the CT i think that is the question. The CT should have been more successful to my mind and this due to the refusal to put a turbo petrol motor in it. Why? A great small car but many folk still hesitate to buy a hybrid and no alternative was on offer.

You hit the nail on the head - what happens to the CT? I can't see two smallish entries from Lexus (i.e a CT and a UX) so my guess is the CT has no future. A non hybrid CT would have likely increased sales as it would have been cheaper and faster. My question now is "will the UX have a hybrid version too?".

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-09-22-lexus-ux-concept-interior.jpg

High tech everywhere, with holograms, electrostatic controls, and electro-chromatic windows.
View the original article post

Levi

Expert
Reactions
There you see the two displays instead of rear-view side mirrors. I think I prefer the BMW "solution" they showed in the i8 concept, with a virtual center rear-view mirror.

corradoMR2

Founding Member
Reactions
There you see the two displays instead of rear-view side mirrors. I think I prefer the BMW "solution" they showed in the i8 concept, with a virtual center rear-view mirror.

I actually like the side screens and their placement replacing the mirrors. The webbed seats will be interesting to see but I'm most anxious to know the powertrain and dimension specs.

meth.ix

Admirer
Reactions
I really like the hologram thing but if it it makes it into a production car,Ii hope it's not gimmicky like the BMW volume controls.

Rydo

Follower
Reactions
This is a real dud from Lexus, love the LC, love the LF-FC, love the LF-SA, growing to like the new LS, this is just ugly.