Lexus September 2018 Sales Report

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
I think overall a bit of a disappointment, especially the new ES - I thought sales of this brand new model would be way up so unless there was a delay in supply this figure is a let down.

I think their supply is limited to 5k per month, they might be able to get more in few months, but ES sales are great.

Actually, Lexus car sales went up compared to last year, so 32k Tesla sales is not influencing Lexus car sales. I am pretty sure it is same for Audi, BMW and MB, sales are within 2-3% of last year overall.

Joaquin Ruhi

Reactions
With September marking the end of the 3rd quarter of 2018, It's worth noting the highlights of Lexus USA's September 2018 and Q3 2018 Sales Conference Call:

Lexus'...hybrid models are having a great year. For example, the NXh and RXh continue to be top sellers, clinching Lexus' standing as the luxury hybrid leader. In fact, NX hybrid had its best September ever while RX hybrid saw its best September in over eight years...

Sales for (September) totaled 24,597 with LUVs accounting for 65% of that volume. Our flagship sedan, the LS, has doubled volume year over year in September, and our all-new seventh-generation ES went on sale in September and is off to a phenomenal start. Sales in September were up 23% year-over-year.

For the quarter, NX hybrid and RX hybrid had their best-ever third quarter in sales volume, and our total RX sales were a best-ever third quarter. LS had its best third quarter sales in five years.

Moving on to our year-to-date performance, Lexus sold 213,622 units, which includes a best-ever year-to-date for sales volume in our luxury utility vehicles. The RX remains the top selling luxury vehicle with sales up nearly 5% and RX L, our third-row RX, has been a huge success since its launch in February and accounts for over 20% of the total RX volume. LS, our flagship, has experienced doubling in sales and market share this year...

Our outlook for the luxury market remains at 2.1 million, and we're looking forward to finishing the year very strong. Finally, by the time we talk on our next quarterly call, we will be launching the all-new UX, which is planned for December and we're very excited to bring this new vehicle to market to bring new, younger buyers to Lexus.

Reactions
I think their supply is limited to 5k per month, they might be able to get more in few months, but ES sales are great.

Actually, Lexus car sales went up compared to last year, so 32k Tesla sales is not influencing Lexus car sales. I am pretty sure it is same for Audi, BMW and MB, sales are within 2-3% of last year overall.
5K sales for the ES is pretty good given how many less buyers there are now for sedans. IS and GS combined will never see such numbers nowadays.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
5K sales for the ES is pretty good given how many less buyers there are now for sedans. IS and GS combined will never see such numbers nowadays.

It is good regardless of anything else... It outsold NX to be 2nd best selling Lexus for the month... it is 20% of total Lexus sales.

mikeavelli

Reactions
What exactly is 3 series powerhouse in? It looks very bland, and interior is not luxurious at all.

Also, as to the Tesla, obviously if you look at luxury car sales, it is not Tesla that is taking away numbers...

While it seems tons of people are saying it looks like a Lexus, it won't matter, it will sell and there is an optiona 340Mi with 382hp!

so RX-L doing fine...

That is good news. Hadn't heard much on it.

spwolf

Expert
Reactions
While it seems tons of people are saying it looks like a Lexus, it won't matter, it will sell and there is an optiona 340Mi with 382hp!

That is good news. Hadn't heard much on it.

2k per month means it outsells most other Lexus vehicles :)

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
Once production is ramped up, I fully expect ES to become best seller among 5 and E. Despite what Lexus says about it competing with C/3, it is a full size car.

I mentioned this before, but I really believe most people in this segment are looking for is space, comfort and luxury features, which ES delivers on all of those things for 50% of the price of E and 5. What ES has done to GS, I expect it to begin doing to the other midsize sedans.

What is the real reason to buy 5 or E over ES... if you have to have RWD? If so, that is a small % of shoppers who even know the difference.

Time will tell.

Ian Schmidt

Reactions
What is the real reason to buy 5 or E over ES... if you have to have RWD? If so, that is a small % of shoppers who even know the difference.

Agreed. And I expect the arrival of the AWD ES will accelerate that effect.