Lexus Sells 652,000 Vehicles Worldwide in 2015

mikeavelli

Reactions
http://wardsauto.com/industry/lexus-sees-another-record-year-explores-new-markets

Wow, sounds like Lexus can eventually break to 1 million units at this pace and join the German 3. Whats crazy is this is without tons of small cars, 4 cylinder cars/diesels and a far smaller lineup.

DETROIT – Lexus expects to achieve another record sales year in 2016, after hitting an all-time high of 652,000 units globally in 2015, up from 2014’s 582,000.

“We’re not trying to be greedy, we’re not trying to grow too much, but we’ll have some growth year over year,” Mark Templin, executive vice president-Lexus International, tells WardsAuto here in an interview.

Templin pegs Lexus global growth this year at roughly 3%, down from the brand’s 12% jump in 2015, as Asian markets “are really under fire right now.”

Contraction in new-vehicle sales in Thailand (Toyotaforecasts 2016 sales there to fall 10%) and a softening in China gives Lexus “some negative impact, but in every other market of the world we see growth,” he says.

Templin doesn’t foresee China being too detrimental, noting the world’s biggest new-vehicle market will still increase, albeit more slowly.

“It’s kind of hard to tell what the future is going to hold there and what the rules are going to be around emissions requirements and so on,” he says. “We have to play it kind of cautiously in the short term.”

Lexus sold about 100,000 units in China last year, a record volume.

Europe will continue to be a bright spot, Templin predicts.

Toyota Motor Europe reports Lexus hit a record 64,000 deliveries in Europe in 2015, up 20% from year-ago, and the brand saw market share gains in Western, Central and Eastern Europe.

TME says 2016 will set a new mark for Lexus sales in the region and put it on track to achieve its goal of 100,000 European sales by 2020.

Templin also sees growth in North America, despite prognostications of the U.S. plateauing.

“We believe North America will still have a couple more really good years,” he says. “It’ll flatten out, but it’ll be (at) a record (level). So if the next couple of years stay at that level everybody will be really good.”

Lexus tallied a best-ever annual volume of 344,601 in the U.S. last year. Templin sees “just slight” U.S. growth in 2016, suggesting the brand won’t use massive incentives to move the sales needle.

While the NX CUV and RC coupe propelled Lexus last year, the redesigned RX CUV should carry Lexus this year.

Lexus will continue its pursuit of new markets, as Templin reiterates the brand is in three-quarters of those German luxury brands compete in.

“Right now we’re in 93 markets around the world (and) the Germans on average are in 140, so there’s a lot of markets where we have potential to go in,” he says.

Lexus is looking at entering four unspecified markets in the next two to three years, he says.

A Lexus official last year noted Mexico was an obvious choice, as the brand isn’t there officially, but many Mexican consumers venture across the U.S. border to purchase the luxury models.

Templin and his colleagues are adamant about launching into new markets “the right way.”

“We have one chance to make a good first impression so we’re not just going to give you cars and let you sell them, we’re going to build the proper facilities and pick the right partners in the marketplace,” he says.

Reactions: RAL

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
If they can actually do it, more power to them, but I think Templin may be overestimating the future of the Chinese market.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
Lexus is still a relatively young and growing premium brand, nice to see its calculated steady growth into a variety of markets.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexus is still a relatively young and growing premium brand, nice to see its calculated steady growth into a variety of markets.

One of the things, I think, that has held up the worldwide growth of Lexus somewhat is that a number of Lexus products, in the past, were already marketed as Toyota in other countries (a good example, but only one among many, was the IS300 that I owned, marketed in many places as the Toyota Altezza). That is less the case now, as Toyota and Lexus products have become more differentiated from each other in a number of ways. Audis and VW's to some extent, had the same relationship....even before the current scandal. In contrast, with Mercedes and BMW, they don't have sister-divisions. They were (and are) marketed everywhere under their own company logos...the three-point star and spinning blue/white propeller, and don't have to share their sales with anyone else.

IS-SV

Premium Member
Reactions
One of the things, I think, that has held up the worldwide growth of Lexus somewhat is that a number of Lexus products, in the past, were already marketed as Toyota in other countries (a good example, but only one among many, was the IS300 that I owned, marketed in many places as the Toyota Altezza). That is less the case now, as Toyota and Lexus products have become more differentiated from each other in a number of ways. Audis and VW's to some extent, had the same relationship....even before the current scandal. In contrast, with Mercedes and BMW, they don't have sister-divisions. They were (and are) marketed everywhere under their own company logos...the three-point star and spinning blue/white propeller, and don't have to share their sales with anyone else.

That is old history for Lexus (IS300), not very applicable in recent decade.

Mercedes has its own lower-priced vehicles/ fwd hardware that it sells ROW and some in US (not talking about Smart which is not branded as Benz of course), no need for sister downmarket division hardware.

BMW does have a non-premium division in which its sharing hardware for new vehicles (Mini, new X1).

Yes, Audi shares a significant amount of powertrain hardware with VW, especially in its high volume vehicles.

Last edited:

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
But China is tanking. This IS why the U.S. Stock Market is crashing all around us and my 401k is worth less than when I started it and gas at Costco is $1.79 a gallon?
China can buy Buick from GM.

Gecko

Administrator
Reactions
^I wish they would, and leave Cadillac for GM to focus on (that will never happen).

I dont think that GM's entry level/true luxury two-brand strategy is working - the proof is plain to see for Cadillac.

krew

Site Founder
Administrator
Reactions
krew
16-02-01-lexus-nx-worldwide-sales-400x200.jpg

Lexus has announced 2015 worldwide sales of approximately 652,000 vehicles, up 12 percent from 2014.
View the original article post

Reactions
In comparison, the Germans are approximately 2 million units (+/-) each; that's a big gap in volume. Lexus needs more aggressive marketing and a bigger lineup that includes more entry level models/engines. In Malaysia, the cheapest BMW is the 316i, around RM 209,000 (US$ 47500) but the cheapest Lexus, the IS, is RM 297,800. That's a US$ 21000+ difference.

Reactions
In comparison, the Germans are approximately 2 million units (+/-) each; that's a big gap in volume. Lexus needs more aggressive marketing and a bigger lineup that includes more entry level models/engines. In Malaysia, the cheapest BMW is the 316i, around RM 209,000 (US$ 47500) but the cheapest Lexus, the IS, is RM 297,800. That's a US$ 21000+ difference.
Of course, I did not count the 1 series and CT in as the 3 series and IS are the main cash cows (ES & RX for Lexus but BMW doesn't have a direct rival).

Reactions
Joe_my, with all due respect Lexus has been on the market for 25 years, BMW, Mercedes and co. have a century of heritage and are chasing volume as its their core business. Toyota's high volumes mean Lexus has go some independence and freedom to pursuit its own goals and if that means quality growth rather than just quantity and chasing volume then so be it. Lexus has always claimed it wants to grow organically and differentiate itself from German car makers by focusing on hybrids rather than diesels. As far as more models are concerned I agree, they need a Sportswagon for Europe, they also need a smaller crossover than the NX , their entry price is rather high so plenty more to come I hope. What I would like to see from Lexus is a light weight sports driver focused coupe based on the GT86 and also a Supra-like mid priced sports car positioned below the LC500, come on Lexus!

Sabelo

Fan
Reactions
I live in Centurion, Pretoria and I'm starting to see more of the NX and the IS, the new RX has just arrived and I love the car, I saw it in person in Lexus Midrand and, in my opinion, should sell very well from the fine and edgy looks alone! And then, the facelifted GS is one transformed player. Pictures don't really do justice to these cars, imagine the LC in person? holy-frikkin-molly!