Lexus Secrets - Heated/Ventilated Seats Dissected

Reactions
Really awesome, thanks for sharing! I actually just took a Lexus Advisory Board survey on seats. While good they can step it up.

I LOVE IT! The advisory board surveys are really awesome. I get them from time to time but I can't take them b/c I'm an employee..... from what I hear, they really do listen and apply what you tell them.

Thanks for the feedback!

Brock

Reactions
One thing that I'd like to mention is that seats in modern luxury cars are also a lot lighter than they were in older luxury car models - while at the same time being safer and having way more features such as air bags, cooling and ventilation and more adjustment.

GREAT points! Thanks for the contribution!

Brock

Reactions
Some seats, especially from Volvo and recent Saabs before they folded, also had headrests with reverse-counterweights. if you were (significantly) rear-ended, the lever-type counterweight suddenly swung back and moved the headrest forward to keep the back of your neck from a whiplash. Other newer seats did away with that mechanism and simply mounted the headrest in a more rigid forward-tilt direction, which also provides adequate protection but some drivers complain is uncomfortable.

Lexus vehicles have a similar system. There is a pressure point in the lumbar region which causes the headrest to move forward upon rear impact to support the head and neck. You can actually push the seat in and see it move! Try it out!

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Lexus vehicles have a similar system. There is a pressure point in the lumbar region which causes the headrest to move forward upon rear impact to support the head and neck. You can actually push the seat in and see it move! Try it out!

Separate headrests and/or mechanisms wouldn't be necessary if seats were designed with one-piece high-backs (they would also be simpler and cheaper to produce), but they are rarely seen any more....perhaps because of rear-vision-blockage problems. However, back-up cameras are now solving at least some of those rear-vision problems, so don't be surprised to see automakers (maybe) return to the high-back design.

mLWf1fnp2oRtjb54CWOqopQ.jpg

CIF

Premium Member
Reactions
Separate headrests and/or mechanisms wouldn't be necessary if seats were designed with one-piece high-backs (they would also be simpler and cheaper to produce), but they are rarely seen any more....perhaps because of rear-vision-blockage problems. However, back-up cameras are now solving at least some of those rear-vision problems, so don't be surprised to see automakers (maybe) return to the high-back design.

mLWf1fnp2oRtjb54CWOqopQ.jpg

Never been a fan of one-piece highbacks. I'm quite certain they don't work as well in crash situations vs. separate active headrests. Yes I'm aware some of the Lexus F models have such seats. Not a fan of Lexus using such a design either.