Lexus Secrets - Heated/Ventilated Seats Dissected

Reactions
I had an opportunity to film a Lexus driver's seat after it was removed from the vehicle. You will get to see all of the components that make up the most comfortable driver's seat in a vehicle! This is your chance to see behind the scenes!

lexus_seat.png

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Yes, some of today's premium seats have an almost insane number of components built into them. A top-line Lincoln MKX I recently test-drove was adjustable 22 different ways...in addition to the usual heating/cooling. That seat-package alone was a $1500 option.

Bulldog 1

Follower
Reactions
LOL. I sometimes forget just how strong it blows until I lean forward in my seat and hear the subdued "roar" of the air coming through the seats.

Reactions
Yes, some of today's premium seats have an almost insane number of components built into them. A top-line Lincoln MKX I recently test-drove was adjustable 22 different ways...in addition to the usual heating/cooling. That seat-package alone was a $1500 option.

22 adjustments!!! That's insane! And I thought 17 adjustments on the GS350 FSport was a lot! I do have to admit that when you find that "sweet spot" for your seat on a long trip it make all the difference in the world!

Thanks for the input!

Brock

Reactions
I had an opportunity to film a Lexus driver's seat after it was removed from the vehicle. You will get to see all of the components that make up the most comfortable driver's seat in a vehicle! This is your chance to see behind the scenes!

View attachment 856
Which Lexus model is that seat from...or don't you know?

This seat is from a GS350. If you click the image you can watch the clip - I didn't make a note in the original post that the image was clickable...

Reactions
LOL. I sometimes forget just how strong it blows until I lean forward in my seat and hear the subdued "roar" of the air coming through the seats.

I love that seat ROAR!! Thanks for the feedback!

BTW, Click the image to watch a video of me detailing all the components that make the seat heat, ventilate, lumbar, and move all around!

Brock

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
BTW, Click the image to watch a video of me detailing all the components that make the seat heat, ventilate, lumbar, and move all around!

Brock

Yes...nice video, and good explanation. :) Are you a Lexus or ASE-certified technician? You seem to know all of that hardware pretty well.

Reactions
Yes...nice video, and good explanation. :) Are you a Lexus or ASE-certified technician? You seem to know all of that hardware pretty well.

Thank you! I'm just a salesperson but I've been with Lexus / Toyota for 11 years and I love figuring out how things work :)

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
Really awesome, thanks for sharing! I actually just took a Lexus Advisory Board survey on seats. While good they can step it up.

At one time, Recaros were considered the best automotive seats from a sport/track driving perspective, and may (?) still be. But there's no doubt that some stock seats, today, including from Lexus, are also superb. I tend to like cushiness and a lot of padding (to match my own considerable amount of natural padding LOL). :D

Och

Admirer
Reactions
One thing that I'd like to mention is that seats in modern luxury cars are also a lot lighter than they were in older luxury car models - while at the same time being safer and having way more features such as air bags, cooling and ventilation and more adjustment.

mmcartalk

Expert
Reactions
One thing that I'd like to mention is that seats in modern luxury cars are also a lot lighter than they were in older luxury car models - while at the same time being safer and having way more features such as air bags, cooling and ventilation and more adjustment.

Some seats, especially from Volvo and recent Saabs before they folded, also had headrests with reverse-counterweights. if you were (significantly) rear-ended, the lever-type counterweight suddenly swung back and moved the headrest forward to keep the back of your neck from a whiplash. Other newer seats did away with that mechanism and simply mounted the headrest in a more rigid forward-tilt direction, which also provides adequate protection but some drivers complain is uncomfortable.